PDA

View Full Version : Triumph chain guide

damo
08-18-2009, 5:26 AM
Hey Guys,
I have a TR6 hardtail chopper that develops a whole lotta chain slap at a certain rev range, a new chain helped but it really needs a chain tensioner.
Can anyone help with some ideas on how to set up a roller skate wheel.
Cheers
Damo
Australia

KT
08-18-2009, 8:21 AM
I would go with a gear setup instead of the skateboard wheel tensioner...I ran a wheel tensioner on my first bike ....It looked cool and good to go but I had problems with it pretty much everytime I went for a ride ...The chain never would stay in the center because there is nothing to follow on the flat surface of a wheel....I think someone posted about this yesterday go with a 50 series gear for 530 chain I think was what they said......

Tyler
08-18-2009, 9:31 AM
I got some on the way from Steve at Troy Fab that have a gear setup and are adjustable, and have a sealed bearing. Get a hold of him or check back with me or my website by next week should have them in stock with good photos and such

Tyler
08-18-2009, 9:33 AM
Here I just uploaded a pic of one of the Troy Fab ones... $85, weld on bracket, have a slot that allows you to adjust the position of the sprocket

http://lowbrowcustoms.com/pics/chaintensioner.jpg

ElPaintero
08-19-2009, 12:20 PM
If you do end up using a wheel,use a wide one.If you use a roller skate wheel fine,but if you use a skateboard wheel try and get a wide ramp wheel and at least a 60mm,and make sure there are good bearings in it(abec 5 at least).Check out some black cats or Powell's from your local skate shop.Also,white wheels last longer that darker ones do to the pigments in the urethane and hubed wheels can slit on there hubs with enough force,You don' want t get a flat spot here!.You can run the wheel on a grinder and trench it a little to keep the chain from rolling off but make sure it is not tight in the trench.I like that set up from the pic Tyler posted above of Troy Fab's tensioner,simple and clean.I've made one before out a skate wheel, a torsion spring and some steel plate that was laying around.Good luck.

boogieman
08-20-2009, 9:37 PM
Here I just uploaded a pic of one of the Troy Fab ones... $85, weld on bracket, have a slot that allows you to adjust the position of the sprocket

http://lowbrowcustoms.com/pics/chaintensioner.jpg

Thats pretty bad assed, thanks for the pic.

There is also a guy on ebay selling them, just look for motorcycle chain tensioner, they are the springy ones though, I think they cost $99.