PDA

View Full Version : Best rebuild book for pan

82ironwig
12-27-2014, 5:28 PM
Alright guys I picked up a 56 panhead basket case. What's the best book to help me rebuild it ?

Thanks
Tyler

BuddhahoodVato
12-27-2014, 6:09 PM
Best, OEM Manual

Tattooo
12-27-2014, 7:09 PM
The first thing to do is figure what you want to do with it. How does it look now?? Got any pic???? Yes a Harley manual is the best.....

FredoSNR
12-27-2014, 7:20 PM
How disassembled is it? If the cases are split, you would be better off bringing it to someone with the proper tooling to mate the cases and install the bearings, ect. At least if you want it reliable. A lot of people, myself included, really underestimate the requirements of building an engine when they first start.

farmall
12-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Some baskets are so baskety they don't contain all the correct internal parts and that may not be obvious.

A thorough cleanup and inspection of everything on an engine that old is worth doing, including checking for cracks and stripped threads. You don't want to assemble an engine then find
out you missed something requiring a teardown.

82ironwig
12-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Hey thanks guys yeah it's completey broke down split an all. The cases are STD repops brand new ill try an get some pics up.

Tattooo
12-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey thanks guys yeah it's completey broke down split an all. The cases are STD repops brand new ill try an get some pics up.

Did you get a title?? If so what kind of title?? If not I would do that before you do anything!!!!

SyndicateChoppers
12-28-2014, 8:17 PM
Did you get a title?? If so what kind of title?? If not I would do that before you do anything!!!!

Listen to this advise right here

so you bought literally a basket case.
with STD cases you did not buy a 1956 Panhead, you will have to title that bike a special construction type of bike unless you are putting it in a titled 1970 and frame.
If you have a frame that does not have a title that matches the Vin numbers on the neck you are in for a lot more work than simply rebuilding a "1956 Panhead"

I would do a little research on the titling deal according to your state.
But most states require visual inspection of the bike and a major pile of receipts and MSO's for major parts of the bike and most will need all modern EPA and safety features like chain guard, turn signals, etc etc.
This process can be an absolute nightmare depending on what state you are in

I hope you didnt pay much for it
a basket case with aftermarket engine cases are not worth much money at all especially if it came with a frame with no Vin number or paperwork for the frame.

What exactly did you end up buying ?

82ironwig
12-29-2014, 7:09 PM
i gotcha there man i simply got the cases and most the internals and top end not a bad price i don't think 1g but i was looking and looking more into the parts an i can see the heads don't match so this guy i got it from cylinders don't match so far kinda disappointed but i do have the mso for the cases

82ironwig
12-29-2014, 7:32 PM
if its gunna be a big hassle i might just get rid of it

Tattooo
12-30-2014, 8:59 AM
if its gunna be a big hassle i might just get rid of it

Mismatched parts are ok. But with no real good paper work there can be a problem!!!!!