PDA

View Full Version : My honda cb500 wont run????? help

chicagoslackers1
05-03-2010, 8:05 PM
I just took my cb500 for a ride and all was good then I parked it tokk some pics and it wouldnt start. It would only start if I held the gas a little then it ran like shit rich and missing then it was ok to rev it up or idle in nutral but under any load would miss spit and pop. So I figuered the battery was dead with the dull light and all. But is there anything that would generally cause a 1975 honda cb500 to not charge or do you got any other ideas. I dont know shit about hondas its my first one.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/chicagoslackers1/5-3-2010/DSC04303.jpg
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/chicagoslackers1/5-3-2010/DSC04306.jpg
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/chicagoslackers1/5-3-2010/DSC04302.jpg

Loaf
05-03-2010, 8:57 PM
It looks like you have a CB500T, or twin right? Not the four? Check your ground, battery cables, coil/plug cables...what spark plugs you running, should be NGK B8ES. How old was the gas? I could go on with these questions...how familiar are you with the bike?

chicagoslackers1
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
It looks like you have a CB500T, or twin right? Not the four? Check your ground, battery cables, coil/plug cables...what spark plugs you running, should be NGK B8ES. How old was the gas? I could go on with these questions...how familiar are you with the bike?

Ya man its a cb500t. I saw the ground cable had a slight green tint to it so I am gonna rplace it. I am gonna get new plugs as well. I am not familiar with the bike at all I just picked it up like a week ago. And its my first. Thanks man any advice is greatly apreciated.

Twinkies
05-04-2010, 12:40 AM

only things I can think to add to this list.. get a voltmeter and check your battery/charging system.
Place your hand over the exhaust of both pipes and compare exhaust pulses.. if one cylinder is running weaker it will be obvious.. that should narrow it down a little to one cylinder or the other or a problem that would affect both cylinders.

oh, if you just got it a week ago you may want to empty out the tank and start with some fresh gas.. who knows how long its been sitting.. eliminate the easy stuff first..

chicagoslackers1
05-04-2010, 9:40 AM
only things I can think to add to this list.. get a voltmeter and check your battery/charging system.
Place your hand over the exhaust of both pipes and compare exhaust pulses.. if one cylinder is running weaker it will be obvious.. that should narrow it down a little to one cylinder or the other or a problem that would affect both cylinders.

oh, if you just got it a week ago you may want to empty out the tank and start with some fresh gas.. who knows how long its been sitting.. eliminate the easy stuff first..

Ya man it ran fine unil I changed the tank and put new gas in it actually. I am chargeing the battery today and I am gonna play with some of the seggestions

Loaf
05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah man, always do the easy shit first. It's hard enough getting the carbs in sync, but if they have old gummy gas in them it can cause the floats to stick and can clog up the jets. Parts for those are almost non-existing any more...they only made them in 75-76. I have one of each, the 75 is a parts bike, and the 76 is bone stock, Ive kept it that way always thinking it would make a cool project one day. Also check your timing/points gap.

chicagoslackers1
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Well so far the problem seemed to just be a clogged fuel filter probably when I put the new tank on there it brought over some new rust. I only took it for a quick spin but it seemed ok

Loaf
05-05-2010, 9:09 AM
good deal man, ride it like you can fix it!