PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Baileigh plasma tables?

Jessechop
12-19-2014, 6:12 PM
Looking to buy a small plasma table. Was sold on Torchmate untill I talked to them. I lost my warm, fuzzy feeling. So I have turned to Baileigh. The product looks good, however no reviews or first had reports to be found. So, anyone here use/have one? Looking at the PT-22 or 44

farmall
12-19-2014, 6:39 PM
I never used one, but I'd ask on Practical Machinist and the Miller and Weldingweb forums.

spidr
12-19-2014, 7:28 PM
Go Torchmate. As much as I like my Baileigh stuff, the Torchmate is more affordable, and the support is second to none.
When they got bought out by Lincoln, it only expanded their options, and they have their own forum on Pirate4x4.com, where the tech support guys actually respond.

Jessechop
12-19-2014, 7:36 PM
Go Torchmate. As much as I like my Baileigh stuff, the Torchmate is more affordable, and the support is second to none.
When they got bought out by Lincoln, it only expanded their options, and they have their own forum on Pirate4x4.com, where the tech support guys actually respond.

Apples to apples the Baileigh is actually a little cheaper, but so many more options with Torchmate. I emailed back and forth today with one sales rep, he seemed clueless. Thus why I was thinking otherwise, but you are right everyone speaks highly of the product.

spidr
12-19-2014, 8:15 PM
Sign up on Pirate, and check out their forum. I wish I had gone with them, and thats where I'll get my next one.

SquashThatFly
12-22-2014, 5:42 PM
most of Baileigh's equipment is all Chinese/Tawainese made. Essentialy a larger version of Woodward Fab, Northern tool, etc. Find out where their parts for that particular machine are made. See their equipment first hand before you purchase. They cover a LOT with thick paint. Especially their small metal equipment. There is a reason their stuff is cheaper. I have a 6" Corner Notcher at work that i just got and its a pile of shit. Its honestly something id expect to see out of harbor frieght. Nothing is straight on it, it wont hold its adjustments, the welds are disgusting and the casting is terrible. Ive been working with metal equipment and CNC machines daily for the last 10 years and am not impressed by anything i have seen from them so far.

Jessechop
12-23-2014, 7:32 AM
most of Baileigh's equipment is all Chinese/Tawainese made. Essentialy a larger version of Woodward Fab, Northern tool, etc. Find out where their parts for that particular machine are made. See their equipment first hand before you purchase. They cover a LOT with thick paint. Especially their small metal equipment. There is a reason their stuff is cheaper. I have a 6" Corner Notcher at work that i just got and its a pile of shit. Its honestly something id expect to see out of harbor frieght. Nothing is straight on it, it wont hold its adjustments, the welds are disgusting and the casting is terrible. Ive been working with metal equipment and CNC machines daily for the last 10 years and am not impressed by anything i have seen from them so far.

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on a Torchmate. Its a lot of money, but I should be able to make money.......at least that's the plan

farmall
12-24-2014, 6:25 PM
I'd check to see what the pros are running for nesting software. I'm a CAD/CAM noob so I've no personal knowledge of what works best.

The more pieces you get out of a sheet or other shape the more money you earn.

Make sure local machine shops know you exist. Have business cards made that LOOK businesslike. Your customers may be old crusty fuckers but their money is green. You may be much closer than their regular supplier or have other advantages. Machine shops frequently get hit with rush jobs you might handle for a price.

Tools make money when they are running so keep it fed.

Filter and dehumidify dat shop air and you'll save $$ on plasma consumables. Find the best consumable price online, sample, then buy in bulk. You'll typically pay more for consumables at a local welding supply. I buy more than gases at mine because they are nice to me but I don't buy everything there.

If you haven't bought a lot of metal before you might not know to have multiple suppliers and always call for quotes. Prices can vary absurdly within the same local area.

Have fun!

Jessechop
12-25-2014, 9:54 AM
I'd check to see what the pros are running for nesting software. I'm a CAD/CAM noob so I've no personal knowledge of what works best.

The more pieces you get out of a sheet or other shape the more money you earn.

Make sure local machine shops know you exist. Have business cards made that LOOK businesslike. Your customers may be old crusty fuckers but their money is green. You may be much closer than their regular supplier or have other advantages. Machine shops frequently get hit with rush jobs you might handle for a price.

Tools make money when they are running so keep it fed.

Filter and dehumidify dat shop air and you'll save $$ on plasma consumables. Find the best consumable price online, sample, then buy in bulk. You'll typically pay more for consumables at a local welding supply. I buy more than gases at mine because they are nice to me but I don't buy everything there.

If you haven't bought a lot of metal before you might not know to have multiple suppliers and always call for quotes. Prices can vary absurdly within the same local area.

Have fun!

What are you running for an air dryer? I have looked at alot but not sure the direction I should take

spidr
12-25-2014, 12:27 PM
What are you running for an air dryer? I have looked at alot but not sure the direction I should take

If you have the room in the budget look into refrigerated. Dessicants just arent worth the trouble IMO.

farmall is right about the nesting software to a degree, for production runs its great, buut if you make your money one tab or bracket at a time, it doesnt help any.

And no matter what you do, make sure you spend the money on a proper voltage feedback torch height controller. I have a proximity style on mine, and its my biggest regret on my table. It requires me to babysit it as opposed to just letting it run.

Oh, one more thing.
If you have the space/time/money, put in a water table. I cant stress this enough. I've worked with water and dry tables, and water cut quality, warpage, smoke and dust is all better with a water table. You can make it with a reserve tank to drain easy, and just make sure you dont cut aluminum on a water table. It creates hydrogen gas and will blow shit up. No joke. Its worth the hassle to drain it for the few times you're working with aluminum

Jessechop
12-25-2014, 1:16 PM
If you have the room in the budget look into refrigerated. Dessicants just arent worth the trouble IMO.

farmall is right about the nesting software to a degree, for production runs its great, buut if you make your money one tab or bracket at a time, it doesnt help any.

And no matter what you do, make sure you spend the money on a proper voltage feedback torch height controller. I have a proximity style on mine, and its my biggest regret on my table. It requires me to babysit it as opposed to just letting it run.

Oh, one more thing.
If you have the space/time/money, put in a water table. I cant stress this enough. I've worked with water and dry tables, and water cut quality, warpage, smoke and dust is all better with a water table. You can make it with a reserve tank to drain easy, and just make sure you dont cut aluminum on a water table. It creates hydrogen gas and will blow shit up. No joke. Its worth the hassle to drain it for the few times you're working with aluminum

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the Harbor Freight dryer. I know it is a cheap unit but I really need to stay within budget if I pull the trigger.

I have gone back and forth on the torch height controller. I am looking to start with the 2x2 and the general consensus is a table that small can run with out it. It just isnt in my cards to have it right now, money wise.

I do plan on building a water table, and again thanks to both of you for any and all feedback. I appreciate it

farmall
12-25-2014, 8:07 PM
We didn't use a Franzinator (Google them, interesting stuff) or an added expansion tank though we were feeding up to three plasma cutters bevelling pipe coupons for a welding school.

We did make a large expedient filter out of two large reducers and misc. fittings including a drip leg which we filled with tampons. It's an old method and worked well. Our non-techy boss was touring the lab with a guest while I was shucking a mound of Tampax on the counter. He was used to me by that time so he just looked and kept on going...

You could make a large, capable seperator if you have severe humidity problems (plenty of threads on the internet) for cheap out of quality pipe from a scrapyard. Look for fittings, flanges, etc.

Popular final filters use toilet paper rolls and for a single torch that whould be more than adequate.

Driers don't need to be pretty so HF is fine. I've had mine for years and there's nothing to fuck up.

Some folks use the inline final filters sold at auto paint stores. I've not tried them but painting is more demanding than plasma cutting.

Jessechop
12-28-2014, 7:34 PM
So I talked myself into either the Arclight or the LDR. The LDR is closer to me so training is doable. I fire off an email to find out he is 12 weeks out. DOH! Back to the drawing board