PDA

View Full Version : Customizing a sportster seat/ seat pan

Super72
12-09-2014, 1:09 PM
Howdy.
Has anyone here tried customizing a stock plastic sportster seat pan? Or maybe like a La Pera metal seat pan? I can't find a low-pro (2 up) seat that I really like, was thinking about narrowing the stock seat pan, like trimming it inward towards the frame rails, then having it custom upholstered…. Suggestions? Please and thanks!

bparsel
12-09-2014, 2:50 PM
Howdy.
Has anyone here tried customizing a stock plastic sportster seat pan? Or maybe like a La Pera metal seat pan? I can't find a low-pro (2 up) seat that I really like, was thinking about narrowing the stock seat pan, like trimming it inward towards the frame rails, then having it custom upholstered…. Suggestions? Please and thanks!

You kinda answered your own question. Just cut it up and make it what you want. I turned a stock road king pillow top into a low profile solo years ago and then recovered it myself with an old leather jacket. Turned out great and I ran it for 2 years.

xllance
12-09-2014, 3:11 PM
You can do anything. You go girl.

Whoops ! Wrong thread...

Super72
12-09-2014, 4:10 PM
Thanks bparsel! I was really just wondering if the plastic pan would get weird for any reason… I will try it and find out.

DavoCycle
12-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I looked at a lot of plastic solo seat pans and wasn't too sure about chopping them up. That plastic is some sort of thermo-plastic and I bet the turn downs at the edges help with the rigidity. What I was leaning towards (before I just cut and bent my own steel plate solo seat pan) was cutting down one of those and using it just as a form for laying down some fiberglass for the actual seat pan.

Pendulum
12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I started cutting a stock sporty seat pan up to make my own Cobra-ish seat. Mine was off a '96 883 and after trimming the thicker parts off the edges it still had plenty of rigidity. The seat pan doesn't need to be real stiff since it's bolting to the fender/frame (unlike a solo sprint seat). The only reason I abandoned the project was because I was tossing a bunch of stuff in the trash since I was moving and didn't want to lug extra stuff around, and my Sporty had been stolen a few months prior.

Super72
12-10-2014, 5:05 PM
Thank you DavoCycle and Pendulum!
Very helpful. Exactly issues I was wondering about.
I just picked up a stock 2up seat from ebay, 50 bucks, gonna cut it up and see what happens.

TwoLaneFever
12-10-2014, 6:01 PM
this is a corbin fiberglass pan, recovered .and insulation foam used for padding 1inch thick , leather from old set of chaps ,54285

Super72
12-10-2014, 6:25 PM
PERFECT. That is exactly what I am after.
Thank you TwoLaneFever!

farmall
12-10-2014, 6:40 PM
I don't buy new seats, since upholstery shops can do them much cheaper and use better vinyl.

When giving instructions to an upholsterer pictures of what you want help, especially if there is a sewing pattern you want duplicated.

TwoLaneFever
12-10-2014, 6:42 PM
note I didn't shave pan at all ,just cut foam to fit and fit leather tight, sewed it together with waxed thread. showing no seems all sewing was underneath outta sight that way54286another view,this has I extra inch of foam in passenger spot

davidabl
12-15-2014, 7:49 PM
note I didn't shave pan at all ,just cut foam to fit and fit leather tight, sewed it together with waxed thread. showing no seems all sewing was underneath outta sight that way54286another view,this has I extra inch of foam in passenger spot

Leather stretched wet then stitched when dried?

TwoLaneFever
12-15-2014, 9:40 PM
this already had leather treatment on it ,so went with it as is, sorta not up to cc standards, but used what I had,it worked out ok, will be better next attempt at recovering .