PDA

View Full Version : So... I've lost the titles to my bikes

cutthroat
12-01-2014, 2:41 AM
I'm really about to cry, I have a very nice almost all stock 67 sporty & a 65 pan I just got not too long ago as well as a beezer.These were not done so I hadn't titled in my name yet.All 3 were bought from a guy who the guy he bought it from was left open.I finally was getting close om em & asked the wife to pull the titles out.
Turns out a few months ago when we were going through titles I gave her some old ones & she was supposed to dispose of em....well I've torn the house up for 3 days&cannot find em but sure found the one's she was suppose 2 pitch so it seems she got rid of the wrong titles even for the atvs & the drag car project.There is just fuck all I can do.

Tattooo
12-01-2014, 3:53 AM
I'm really about to cry, I have a very nice almost all stock 67 sporty & a 65 pan I just got not too long ago as well as a beezer.These were not done so I hadn't titled in my name yet.All 3 were bought from a guy who the guy he bought it from was left open.I finally was getting close om em & asked the wife to pull the titles out.
Turns out a few months ago when we were going through titles I gave her some old ones & she was supposed to dispose of em....well I've torn the house up for 3 days&cannot find em but sure found the one's she was suppose 2 pitch so it seems she got rid of the wrong titles even for the atvs & the drag car project.There is just fuck all I can do.

Man I hate it for you!!!! But why would you want to dispose of ANY titles?????

Jessechop
12-01-2014, 5:06 AM
Get them registered in a non title state. I did that for a good friend a few years back. Not the end of the world, just some more money you need to spend

Magnificentbastard
12-01-2014, 7:30 AM
This is not going to help you but maybe you can laugh a little about my stupid ass.

Last bike I bought came with only one key, previous owner lost all two others including the master key, its a vstar 08 so the keys are digitally imprinted or some crap, fact is you cannot just make another set of keys but they have to be digitally imprinted and that is expensive.

A few days after I got the bike I want to go for a ride, but I cannot find the key, I was looking for the damn fucking thing for 5 days straight and I mean EVERYWHERE, I even went to all the shops I have been since the last 3 days to ask them if they found a motorcycle key, no joy.
Had to order the keys via a the only guy around here that does digitally imprint them 400 Fucking Euros! I nearly lost my mind.

Edit, I also managed to loose the key to the heavy chain which came with the bike, had to cut it off with my angle grinder another 100 Euros down the drain, I am so anal now where I leave my keys and get super stressed out if I ever not find them straight away.

jeremystephens
12-01-2014, 8:15 AM
In MS its easy to just apply for a lost title and they will issue a new one. Hopefully there is such a thing in your state.

xllance
12-01-2014, 8:58 AM
See if the divorce lawyer has any ideas.

toast
12-01-2014, 9:07 AM

Hahahahahaha

BuddhahoodVato
12-01-2014, 2:31 PM
Radical, feel for yaaaaaaa.
Well out here you would begin by applying for LOST/REPLACEMENT Title. In your case you would need to either get a bill of sale from each previous owner, and then fill out a affidavit for your story.
Being as your applying for a lost/replacement title, you'd have to take the bikes to the Highway Patrol for vin verification, and hope he issues the title per year of scoot, namely 67 sporty, and 65 pan.
Then wait for the titles to come, that's if the Officer does not bite on the specifics of your bike[s].
Good luck.

bobscogin
12-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Generally, the only person who can apply for a "lost title" is the person whose name is on the title. Otherwise, you'd have a bunch of shady characters applying for titles to other peoples bikes.

Bob

Jetblack
12-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Generally, the only person who can apply for a "lost title" is the person whose name is on the title. Otherwise, you'd have a bunch of shady characters applying for titles to other peoples bikes.

Bob

yup, I suggest getting in contact with the PO and see if he could apply for some lost titles on your behalf(hopefully all of them were in his/her name) pay all of the fee's required of course and copiously ball cup with beer etc. for going through the trouble. Depending on this persons character, I wouldn't share that they are done yet... as hey free bike all chopped and pretty can be too much temptation for some people. When I sent pictures to the PO as promised of my last bike when I finished, he was begging to buy it back.

SamHain
12-01-2014, 11:31 PM

Bob

if its out of the system, get shady.

farmall
12-02-2014, 12:51 AM
These were not done so I hadn't titled in my name yet.

Not being done is NEVER reason to wait because the first thing to do when buying a vehicle is transfer the title.

I make it a rule to get a printed copy of everything titled in my name handed to me when I title a vehicle. DMV records can disapper and in my case I had a Triumph drop out of the system. My copy covered my ass.

What happened is sadly very common. Many people bizarrely think it saves money to wait to title.

Since OP has pre-1970 bikes in a worst case scenario he could swap on later titled frame sections.

SamHain
12-02-2014, 1:29 AM
Not being done is NEVER reason to wait because the first thing to do when buying a vehicle is transfer the title.

I make it a rule to get a printed copy of everything titled in my name handed to me when I title a vehicle. DMV records can disapper and in my case I had a Triumph drop out of the system. My copy covered my ass.

What happened is sadly very common. Many people bizarrely think it saves money to wait to title.

Since OP has pre-1970 bikes in a worst case scenario he could swap on later titled frame sections.

chp requires a complete bike to do a vin verification, I can't get a title for a pile of bike parts.

cutthroat
12-02-2014, 6:57 AM
Thanka fellas I didn't get notified that I had any replies, we originally through some titles away as they were from the 80s that I found going through my dead pops paperwork.Anyways found the folder.I sometimes burn trash went out there&the folder was in the burn barrel. Now there all put up safe & sound. Thankx fellas

DeadSeaGulls
12-02-2014, 7:39 AM
Edit: I see you found them, so that's nice, but I'll leave this right here for anyone searching this problem in the future:

Apply for an abandoned vehicle or insufficient proof of ownership title.
Explain your situation, they've seen it before. you'll fill out the paperwork, they'll check the VINs against any liens or police reports. if it's all clear, you'll get a title in a few weeks to a couple months depending on the state.

SyndicateChoppers
12-02-2014, 1:25 PM
Yeah its not the end of the world
There is always a form or some sort of inspection that needs to be done in order to properly register something or title it with no paperwork.

Ive done it a few times,
each state is very different in its DMV procedures so you would be best talking to a DMV rep and if they cant help you ask to speak to a supervisor.

xllance
12-02-2014, 3:14 PM
But did you get a divorce ?

speedandnoise
12-04-2014, 8:06 PM
Just go through VT. There's even a thread in the how to section to help out. You know they're not stolen so you don't have to worry about any unexpected surprises.

Pendulum
12-04-2014, 10:08 PM
But did you get a divorce ?

xllance
12-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Haha! Chow !!

plainsbilly
01-10-2015, 8:00 PM
Bonded titles are easy as hell and relatively cheap compared to no title at all

a40nabowl
01-10-2015, 9:30 PM

+2

docmel
06-22-2015, 2:15 PM
There are lost title services that will do it for you thru a non title state: But its not a cheap fix. Typically its about $150 for the service PLUS the DMV road tax based upon the BLUEBOOK value, not what the bill of sale says. So a 60 pan could cost you right around $600. And once you get the paperwork, you will still have to title it in your own state. That = title fee, registration fee, and again, road tax fee. So basically figure about $1200 total

farmall
06-22-2015, 5:47 PM
That's horrible, but it's common for people to have the insanely stupid and monstrously retarded idea they are somehow saving money by not IMMEDIATELY transferring title so OP is far from alone, as if the title weren't THE most important part of the motorcycle.

I always get a printed copy on the fucking spot at DMV and this just saved my ass because one scoot I titled in the 1980s had dropped out of the system. All hard copies go in my fire safe as a rule. Even if I scrap a vehicle I keep the title.

Everyone else read and heed this tale of woe then title your shit pronto every fucking time. Always get titles from previous owners immediately and KNOW all local title procedures before you have to use them. If your State requires a bill of sale or other official form bring multiple copies of that motherfucker with you when you do your transaction.

Doing anything different is brain-damaged, but this won't be the last post where some unfortunate soul ended up spending many hundreds of dollars because they refused to care about paperwork. Make no mistake and ask anyone who has been in the car or bike business, not transferring title is nothing but delusional cheapness that doesn't save anything.

I suggest collecting titled motorcycle frames when practical, and yes, transfer those titles immediately too.

ridgerunner1965
06-23-2015, 6:08 PM
That's horrible, but it's common for people to have the insanely stupid and monstrously retarded idea they are somehow saving money by not IMMEDIATELY transferring title so OP is far from alone, as if the title weren't THE most important part of the motorcycle.

I always get a printed copy on the fucking spot at DMV and this just saved my ass because one scoot I titled in the 1980s had dropped out of the system. All hard copies go in my fire safe as a rule. Even if I scrap a vehicle I keep the title.

Everyone else read and heed this tale of woe then title your shit pronto every fucking time. Always get titles from previous owners immediately and KNOW all local title procedures before you have to use them. If your State requires a bill of sale or other official form bring multiple copies of that motherfucker with you when you do your transaction.

Doing anything different is brain-damaged, but this won't be the last post where some unfortunate soul ended up spending many hundreds of dollars because they refused to care about paperwork. Make no mistake and ask anyone who has been in the car or bike business, not transferring title is nothing but delusional cheapness that doesn't save anything.

I suggest collecting titled motorcycle frames when practical, and yes, transfer those titles immediately too.

yes, what farmall said. ive tried fighting with the DMV over stuff, its not worth it. get titles in your name and then they will always be in your name and yu can apply for a lost one if needed.

making copys of your titles is a good idea i had not thought of before. and yes get a bill of sale always, especially if title is from a diff state.