PDA

View Full Version : Getting Frame Powdercoated - What to Chop off?

sundevil98
11-11-2014, 11:47 PM
I've been a year out of working on getting my '96 Sportster back together after stripping it down. I want to take the frame (and some other parts) in for powdercoating next week. I chopped off the rear fender arms last night (going to put on a Low Brow Tsunami Fender).

Today, I took off the rear tailpipe support arm. I am planning to put on a set of shorty pipes (probably one of the sikpipes options) so, I'm not going to need that rear tailpipe support bracket anymore. I was thinking of chopping off the mounting boss for the bracket that's welded onto the frame... But, the oil drain line mounts to the "plug" that's on the piece I was thinking of chopping off.

Should I keep the mounting boss on the frame (in case I change my mind with tailpipe options in the future)? Or, should I just remove the mounting bosses and keep the oil drain plug attached? I'm just worried it may be too weak without the rest of the material giving it support.

Is there a better option for the oil drain line? Could I just shove a bolt in the end of the line and clip it to the frame instead of having it attached to the stock "plug" on the frame?

What have you guys done? Just trying to get some ideas. I'd rather not chop something off that I'll regret later after having the frame Powdercoated?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/sundevil98/ace88a882b832a22ba08a41c04ec4022_zps1ae49b70.jpg

This is the portion of the frame I'm talking about.

Ember
11-12-2014, 2:24 AM
Don't do anything until you are done building it how you want, then tear down and powder.

Pendulum
11-12-2014, 3:25 PM
This for sure. I'm in the process of doing some fab work to make up for mistakes I made with a cutoff wheel on v1 of my GS550.

SyndicateChoppers
11-12-2014, 5:26 PM
Don't do anything until you are done building it how you want, then tear down and powder.

theres your answer
build the bike first and mount everything and make sure everything is exactly where you want it and functions properly etc etc.
thank break it all down for powdercoat and finish work
this way you know everything works and functions properly etc.

DavoCycle
11-13-2014, 9:59 AM
Amen. I currently have my frame hardtailed and I just primered it for now because it seems every other day I'm having to wire wheel the primer off to fab up seat mounts, brake mounts, fender mounts, electrical box mounts etc. I'd be pretty sad about doing that to powder coating I paid for.

Pendulum
11-14-2014, 8:48 PM
What's a reasonable rate for frame powdercoating anyway? My new project has a rad frame that's got black spray paint in a few spots where fab work was done by the previous owner(s), and I want to have it redone in black.

sundevil98
11-14-2014, 9:55 PM
So, maybe I should clarify a bit... I had everything assembled, and decided I wanted to give it a fresh make over...

What I'm doing to the bike:
1) replace front end with a front end from a newer 48. (I could probably do a test fit to make sure this will work - but if not, I still have the original fork). The wheels I have are in bad shape and need new powdercoat.
2) new rear fender (Tsunami bolt on fender by low brow). Going to paint it to match my tank after a test fit once everything is powdercoated.
3) new pipes. (Don't think I need that mounting bracket any more - though I may just keep it on at this point as insurance).
4). I tore the engine out because I wanted the frame freshened up with powder coating. While it was out, I tore it down for an overhaul. Waiting to put it back together as I wanted to chop the cam cover and have the push rod tubes powdercoated.
5) other odds and ends (bolt on shit like a new air filter box, etc).

Given that, it seems kind of wasteful to build it up, tear it down, have the frame powdercoated, then build it up again - or is this still recommended?

I think I'll test fit the front end before taking the frame in. Besides that, the rear fender, and the pipes, everything that came off the bike is going back on.

I am going to minimize the controls and re-wire the thing. But that seems like it'd be the last step after a final assembly anyway.

In hind sight, it would have been a good idea to have ordered the new pipes for a test fit before ripping the fucker apart. Didn't think that far ahead I guess.

BuddhahoodVato
11-15-2014, 8:29 AM
Powdercoat, why. Stuff is not my favorite at all.
Good luck.

xllance
11-15-2014, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't chop the exhaust bracket bosses. If you're like me, you change pipes quite often. Leave your options open.

Pendulum
11-15-2014, 5:02 PM
Good luck.

por que no, compadre?

boomboomthump
11-16-2014, 12:59 AM
What's a reasonable rate for frame powdercoating anyway? My new project has a rad frame that's got black spray paint in a few spots where fab work was done by the previous owner(s), and I want to have it redone in black.

Prices vary based on location but since no else answered you... Powdercoaters I've used in the past typically want $200-300 to spray a frame and $150-200 to strip one (and they're really not making any money on the stripping).

DustyDave
11-16-2014, 1:28 PM
Good luck.

I'm totally sold on the new two stage powders! The early ones had colors that were just kinda wrong but now you can get colors that are perfect and many that just aren't possible with paint, incredible durability and they require much less prep than paint. As the local plating shops go away I'm using more and more metallic two stage powder-coats.
Dusty