PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax

Dchill79
11-02-2014, 7:10 PM
Say you buy a bike from a private seller and want to transfer title but don't want to pay the tax, what next?

jtbrow1
11-02-2014, 7:54 PM
What state? In Illinois its a flat $15.

Dchill79
11-02-2014, 8:01 PM
Texas. $15 is hard to believe though..

xllance
11-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure in Texas they base it on a percentage of the KBB value now.

Pendulum
11-02-2014, 10:54 PM
You ride on public roads right? Your kids go to public school? Ever been to a hospital without insurance? Just pay your taxes... Can't be that much.

Nottso
11-03-2014, 6:22 AM
In Wisconsin, it's based on the purchase price. Of course for years everybody would just put $50 on the bill of sale or whatever but they started cracking down a number of years back. As an example, I sold a beat-down, blown-up S10 blazer to a guy for $100 that KBB'd for about 3k at the time. Shortly thereafter, I got a call from the DMV asking me how much I sold it for. When I told 'em $100, they wanted to know why so cheap. I told 'em the motor was blown, the transfer case didn't engage the front wheels, and the thing had been rolled. The point is, if you live in a state where it goes by selling price, and if you're going to "fudge the numbers," make sure to get your story straight with the other party.

xllance
11-03-2014, 7:22 AM
That's the way it used to be in Texas and I've never heard of them checking into it. Of course in my rural area, it was just kind of a thing everyone did and looked the other way. But the last two bikes I bought used, they based it on KBB. I think its 10%.

Saltytonk
11-03-2014, 7:49 AM
Yeah its off of KBB unless you paid something close to that. My FXR was a few hundred less than KBB and they charged me tax on actual price.

Bdehlin
11-03-2014, 9:57 AM
I know in CA it's a percentage of what you paid for the bike. So most people will just drop the cost of what they paid on the bill of sale paperwork and save a few bucks.

jackietuxedo
11-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Say you bought it with motor blown and in boxes with pieces missing. If its an older bike it would be easier.

goofyfoot2001
11-03-2014, 12:38 PM
KBB in south carolina. My bike was more than my POS volvo.

Ato
11-03-2014, 1:51 PM
I know if Vermont they didn't care that I actually bought the bike for $250, they charged me the NADA price and said if I wanted to have a dealer certify that it was valued at less I could take a form with me for them to fill out but the minimum was $500 regardless of the condition.

Dchill79
11-03-2014, 6:48 PM
Hell, I'm just going to wing it and say I bought it for less..
But then they'll ask for bill of sale and when I don't have it they'll just go off of KBB which is more than what I paid. May just have to suck it up and pay the man..

farmall
11-03-2014, 8:19 PM
My SC county (Sumter) does KBB for annual taxes but I'd not seen a switch to it for sales tax.

Of course KBB has quite a range...

BTW if you have a Salvage title mention it and ensure your taxable value is lowered accordingly.

Tattooo
11-03-2014, 8:27 PM
KBB in south carolina. My bike was more than my POS volvo.

South Carolina has a cap of $300.00 no matter what it sold for!!!! Sales tax that is.... No KBB here for that!!!!

SamHain
11-03-2014, 9:29 PM
Hell, I'm just going to wing it and say I bought it for less..
But then they'll ask for bill of sale and when I don't have it they'll just go off of KBB which is more than what I paid. May just have to suck it up and pay the man..

you don't have a piece of paper with the price and a name scribbled on it?

mdironhead
11-04-2014, 8:37 AM
In maryland we pay percent of the value of the bike so say it's way less so you pay less

boomboomthump
11-04-2014, 9:29 AM
I've never had a problem in NJ but I did hear recently that they are scrutinizing what you say you paid for the bike if they feel it's too low. Typically sellers don't fill in sales prices on the back of the title and leave it to the buyer to fill in "whatever price they're comfortable with" so they pay sales tax based off of that. Many folks enter a few hundred dollars or even $1.

My buddy recently got a Sportster which was "purchased for $1500" (KBB ~$2800) and it wasn't questioned.

Don't you love the fact that some of these states force you to pay tax based off a certain value regardless if you paid that or not? What's next, making you pay sales tax based off MSRP of everything you buy? Blood suckers. I'm all for paying my fair share of taxes but not when it's going to buying politicians lunches.

Blackbetty
11-04-2014, 10:12 AM
dchill I've done this like a dozen times in dallas.

Everyone's right; you will pay tax off standard presumptive value (KBB) or the sales price, whichever is higher. If you say you spent $400 on a box pf parts they'll charge you tax on what KBB says a full bike is worth. So tell them you got the bike for $400 or whatever, but be prepared to pay tax on like 2 or 3K. You don't need a bill of sale if you have the title and a 130-u form (application for TX title). They ask you what you paid verbally.

No way around it unless you get an affidavit of gift, Texas form 14-317, which must be signed by both buyer and seller and notarized.

RedemptionMotorcycles
11-04-2014, 5:27 PM
In Wisconsin, it's based on the purchase price. Of course for years everybody would just put $50 on the bill of sale or whatever but they started cracking down a number of years back. As an example, I sold a beat-down, blown-up S10 blazer to a guy for $100 that KBB'd for about 3k at the time. Shortly thereafter, I got a call from the DMV asking me how much I sold it for. When I told 'em $100, they wanted to know why so cheap. I told 'em the motor was blown, the transfer case didn't engage the front wheels, and the thing had been rolled. The point is, if you live in a state where it goes by selling price, and if you're going to "fudge the numbers," make sure to get your story straight with the other party.

Same here in WI. I've gotten several calls to check on prices paid for bikes and cars. I always confirm with the seller or buyer what figure it is to get our stories straight. Paying tax on perceived value on a motorized vehicle is ridiculous. We simply pay state and local tax from 5 to 6 1/2 %.

Dchill79
11-05-2014, 4:09 PM
So it wasn't KBB or sales price, it's what the state deems it worth (2009 nightster with 2100 miles). They said its worth a little over 4k I did pay more and I think the KBB is over 6k. They didn't even ask for bill of sale. So that's that.