PDA

View Full Version : 2 Frames and only 1 Title, Need Help

papowerstroke
10-24-2014, 6:25 AM
So I was working on my 79 XS650 which was hardtailed from PO. Got it all back together and hated it, the hardtail was small tubing, didnt match the rest of the frame, welds were shit, and it was just a general disgusting deathtrap. Well that bike had a good clear title and everything. I picked up a 73 TX650 unmolested frame with no title that Im going to hardtail and put my motor into. Here is my question, can I grind the neck VINs and restamp them on opposite frames? Or can I just use the title on the 73 frame since the motor VIN matches the title. Or will I have to put a lot of love into my 79 frame and use it? Im in PA btw

Tattooo
10-24-2014, 7:59 AM
So I was working on my 79 XS650 which was hardtailed from PO. Got it all back together and hated it, the hardtail was small tubing, didnt match the rest of the frame, welds were shit, and it was just a general disgusting deathtrap. Well that bike had a good clear title and everything. I picked up a 73 TX650 unmolested frame with no title that Im going to hardtail and put my motor into. Here is my question, can I grind the neck VINs and restamp them on opposite frames? Or can I just use the title on the 73 frame since the motor VIN matches the title.

NO

Ato
10-24-2014, 8:33 AM
There are two ways I would go about it.
1. Cut off the neck tube on the titled frame and attach it to the non-titled unmolested frame. This is less sketchy than restamping, although if you can't weld and can't find someone decent to do it might be a pointless. Plus if you are going to all that trouble you might as well just fix the fucked up titled frame.
2. Follow my instructions in this link. It will cost you roughly $90 and the time it takes to get the inspection done. http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

seaking
10-24-2014, 9:18 AM
I like Ato's recommendation, but I'd cut all the bullshit off the '79 to save space and keep the neck and title for future use. Then title the '73--if that doesn't fly you still have the neck casting from the 79. It's worth it to hang onto the neck castings, they only go up in value. I wouldn't bother restamping.

Blackbetty
10-24-2014, 1:07 PM
NO

square!

seaking
10-24-2014, 1:23 PM
square!

He's just afraid of Mr. Beaufort T. Justice

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9R_yICBdLK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stadger
10-24-2014, 5:26 PM
All this BS over a frame worth a hundred bucks for a bike worth a maybe a grand in its present condition that you'll probably never ride longer than a week.

Tattooo
10-24-2014, 7:22 PM
All this BS over a frame worth a hundred bucks for a bike worth a maybe a grand in its present condition that you'll probably never ride longer than a week.

LOL That's why I used only one word for my response!!!!!!!!

nuklhd
10-25-2014, 1:43 AM
is that you in the avatar? please tell me your a female if its not you, and if it is you, cover up man.

HumblePie68
10-25-2014, 5:20 AM
never remove an old number, I have seen quite a few ( in the day ) with a line stamped through the old vin and a new one stamped next to it. This is when someone replaced a damaged frame. hang onto both frames .you should really not have any issue with it due to age ( depending on where you live ) reselling the bike is a completely different matter though