PDA

View Full Version : need cb750 advice

REV
04-28-2010, 3:37 PM
got a sohc motor, and dohc frame. fun. im going to try to find someone to do the frame work for me, who could also do the motor mounts and what not.

but my big question is thus: are there parts that are "must haves" (i know, tires, handlebars, etc...) that would make the bike great from the first time i kick it over?

basically id like to eliminate all the buying of unnecessary bs of "trial and error" if i can since im trying to get the bike finished for under 1k...

for example, is there a "best" front end to go with? i want to use the sporty for shorter rides, and this one for longer/more comfortable rides. bike will be 70's inspired, but not an attempt at something "period". id like a longer front end, comfortable position for arms/legs, and be able to strap shit to a sissy bar. fuck the 50lb back pack again!

thanks all.

04-28-2010, 6:42 PM
hey if you dont find advice you need here, go check out hondachopper.com
dedicated to sohc 750

Psychophilly666
04-28-2010, 9:46 PM
Doing a hardtail?

For the airbox try and find a Henry Abe style air box, real cool old school touch that is close to stock air restriction.

Also check out cyclexchange.net Lots of good parts over there, the performance stuff might be a bit too pricey though.

mad750
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Out of my experience, no matter how much planning and parts you pile up there is ALWAYS something that changes and starts a trickle down effect from there. That's just me though.

I'm gonna suggest Hondachopper.com myself. The cats over there are the best tool to have in your pocket.

REV
04-29-2010, 1:34 AM
really was looking for something like advice on front ends, carbs, other things that would make the bike more dependable and functional. i like springers, but one might not be the most cost effective and better overal compared to tossing some old crotch rocket forks on. that kinda stuff. most sites just tell you how to make it look pretty...i want functional and ill worry about pretty after the fact.

shop102
04-29-2010, 5:15 AM
5 guys are gonna tell 5 different things. As far as carbs go the stockers are fine. i would highly recommend finding a SOHC frame (those DOHC frames are going to take a lot of work to make cool. Go with an F model front end (shorter and set up for dual disc)

REV
04-29-2010, 2:37 PM
thanks, those are the things i was wanting to hear. especially the brake parts. i appreciate it when my bike stops when i ask it to...

Psychophilly666
04-29-2010, 6:48 PM
You can take a mid-90's cbr front end and swap it onto a OHC frame, bearings are the same, the stem is about 1 inch longer though, so you'll have to fab some spacers.

REV
04-29-2010, 7:01 PM
cool. so long as stuff works well, ill be happy. trying to get the mechainics part done in one shot, looks will change a lot, as usual.

now, anyone got a sohc frame with title?

junkyardjon
05-02-2010, 7:19 AM
also check out
http://sohc750.yuku.com/directory

way more laid back and less strict.

albertahawk
05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
if your looking to do a front end swap easiest way is to go to allballs bearings site type in your bike and get the parts # for the head bearings. then type in the head bearings part # and it will come up with every bike that runs those bearings those are the bikes you can use. now the tricky part you can either use the stem that comes with the donor front end or in some cases you can press out both stems and use a stock dohc or sohc stem that matchs your frame and press that into your new triple clams. or press out the stem outta your donar stem and get a machine shop to make you a new stem and press it in spacers arent the greatest idea..

swellguy
05-03-2010, 1:50 PM
Also check out http://sohc4.net/