PDA

View Full Version : 51 pan shovel

vanderkalin
10-03-2014, 2:06 PM
So I picked up this donor bike, gonna ride it for a summer and see what I need to change before tearing it apart next winter to polish up, rebuild what's needed, paint and so on. Got a 51 manual off the web, but it doesn't mention where the oil filter is, it's got a horseshoe oil tank so obviously not stock, and that's where the filter was according to the manual. Bought a filter just assuming it was in the same place as the softail I had( in front of the cases). Is this correct? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Don't want to get half way through the storage oil change only to find out that whole cylinder is actually the Generator and I have to order a different filter.

4evrshovel
10-03-2014, 2:12 PM
I have a 72 shovel. it does not have an oil filter. if I want one, I have to add a aftermarket bracket and filter.

vanderkalin
10-03-2014, 4:10 PM
So that is all generator, there's no filter, probably be a good idea to add one, no? In the mean time, should I be changing oil every few hundred miles?

TheDave
10-03-2014, 5:01 PM
That "cylinder" in the front of the case is the generator and there is no oil filter there. U may not be running a filter but you could add probably add stock style panhead filter. Re-pop filters are available from most parts magazines.

vanderkalin
10-03-2014, 5:24 PM
Yeah, I ordered the filter, not knowing any better, then looked at the thing a little closer and bells started ringing. Is lack of a filter a bad thing if your willing to do mor frequent oil changes?

Paris
10-03-2014, 5:38 PM
If u r talking longevity an reliability then yes oil filter always a good thing. Don't think of oil as "the life blood of ur engine". Just think about what what bad oil "filled with metal shavings and/or carbon" could do to ur engine. True... It didn't come with one stock. But in the fifty's they thought we would be flying on anti gravity bikes by now and not cruising down the highway at speeds way faster than these fossils where ever meant to go. Changing the oil every couple hundred miles is a good thing. But expensive and impracticable. Oil filter set up is worth the $. My 2c

vanderkalin
10-03-2014, 5:43 PM
Right. I'm on it. Thanks for the help dudes!