PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

BigNate
08-17-2009, 2:50 PM
I just want to know what everyone's opinions are on "Today". I mean living life in 2009. What does everyone think about it. I hear stories of the 30s,40s,50s,and 60s, and I think to myself man, "Why couldn't I have been born then?". The bike's were cooler, the girls were cooler, life just seemed simpler. Don't get me wrong, I'm only 23 and I can't wait to see what's ahead of me in life, but if things keep going like they are...maybe I could wait just a little.

BigNate!

framus
08-17-2009, 3:37 PM
I've got ya by only 10 years but don't think that those few years really made a difference. I guess it all boils down to your perspective on life in general. Sure, we've got an idiot at the helm of the country, economy is tanked, gas is pricey and they're crushing a lot of my favorite cars to pull motors out of but it still isn't too bad. It's just a natural progression. As cool as old shit is, I love having the technology at hand to make the old shit better and more reliable...push it beyond its intended life cycle and original performance expectations.

By the way, did you recently watch Back to the Future? I wax poetic every time I see those movies. Sad, I know.

Gommorah
08-17-2009, 4:46 PM
I'm 50. things were so much better when things were so much worst. still not sold on cell phone, 400 tv channels and the internet. im diping my toe into this website carfully becuse it seems to closest to what my old man was into bikewise. so far so good, but i get the feeling theres a lot of kids who just got into the chopper thing because they want to be cool. I've been riding for 35 years. theres notthing cool about being dirty and cold on the side of the road. if any of us were real riders we would all buy honda gold wings.

JohnnyTremendous
08-17-2009, 5:17 PM
I'm 41 and the world is fucked now and it was fucked in the old days too. That being said, it's precisely the fuckedness of it all that makes life so valuable, why it's so important to live the life you choose, and place great value on the things you find to be true, and to love deeply the ones you love. It's part of the balance of life. Yin & Yang if you wanna look at it that way...

JaySco
08-17-2009, 5:18 PM
Don't trip. In the year 2065 you will be telling the grandkids how much better it was way back in 2009.

eightthirtysixcc
08-17-2009, 5:45 PM
I'm sure if I was living in the 50's i'd be into the 30's.

BigNate
08-17-2009, 5:46 PM
I think that's exactly what I was looking for Mr. Tremendous. Thank you!

L7Josh
08-17-2009, 5:52 PM
I'm sure if I was living in the 50's i'd be into the 30's.

well said!

fouraceswes
08-17-2009, 7:46 PM
the trick is to make every year the best year of your life, anything else is just wasting time, and when you waste time, as Bruce Lee said, "you waste life."

Revelator
08-17-2009, 8:13 PM
I hate "Progress", & I also hate all the laws & restrictions of modern times.
I can totally see Myself sitting at a card table in Carson City, NV. during the great gold rush,
with a player piano going & Hot dames bringing Me cold beers, And a pair of loaded pistols
at my sides.
I also think the 50's were cool as fuck.

wHATEVER.

Gommorah
08-17-2009, 8:22 PM
the wild west was great if you liked syphilus. i also dont think they had cold beer in the gold rush days. nostalgia is just nieve dressed up on rockabilly shirts and poodle skirts. sometimes acting your age means acting your era too. 30 year old dudes dressed up like james dean is just as silly as 18 year old kids dressed up like joey ramone. if you weren't there your just pretending to be someone your not. same goes for modern bikers who dress up like cowboys. everybody should just be who they are. all the halloween costumes are stupid.

bwleather
08-17-2009, 8:22 PM
I also agree with Johnny Tremendous, but at the same time, I hate it here. I'm 30 & as long as I can remember I've always hated it. The industrial revolution was where it was at, or with guys like Ben Franklin, when the fellas that helped build this country were first, incredibly skilled craftsmen & engineers & were praised for being so. This world is fuckin backwards today. Thats also what makes technology such as the interweb a little more important. We have places like this, where like minded blokes from all over the world can read each others bullshit about thier feelings on the world & why its important to bang shit out with your hands & cut metal with fire & ride a fucked up mochine that you built with your buddies (when you may not poses the skills to do so) faster than it should ever go knowing that if it all goes to shit leaving nothing but bike parts for your buds to split up, that it was all worth it.
Wow, that turned to a bit of a rant, but well, you asked & I been drinkin.

BW Hand Tooled Leather (http://bw-leather.com)

+BLACK FUZZ+ (http://blackfuzz.blogspot.com)

BigNate
08-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Rock on Fuzzy! I Machining, welding, mechanics, that's the stuff that makes me happy. Making things with my hands and getting dirty doin it.

sickboi55
08-18-2009, 1:53 AM
im not going say any names, but some of your responses are rediculous. you cant fight progress. it seems to me the ones bitching shouldnt. and the ones who should dont. EVERYDAY has good and bad. i dont care if it is the 40's or 3010. WE are people. and as such there will never be a time when EVERYONE agrees on EVERYTHING. weve still got our einsteins and wright brothers. heres my metaphore; how much power did the original 426 hemi have? how much does the "NEW" hemi have. the bodies may not be classic but they werent in 1972 either. progress is life.

GrayMitchell
08-18-2009, 6:13 AM
If youre bummed living in 2009 just go get some pomade, slick back your hair, buy some expensive jeans, roll them up, put on a white tshirt and pretend you live in 1950.

Dont forget to get a bunch of tattoos of pinups and anchors or whatever all that shit is about.

---I know times suck but you just gotta deal with it, unless you have a flux capacitor.

smokey469
08-18-2009, 6:48 AM
Yeah I gotta agree, at 25 with my taste and all I sometimes feel like I missed my "era" so to speak. But as much as I like lookin back, I really appreciate a lot of the modern advances we have at our disposal. I guess the bottom line is that we're here now, so fuck it and let's make the most of it!

Fredo
08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Fuck yesterday and ask yourself what are you going to do with Tomorow?

bwleather
08-18-2009, 4:46 PM
Dudes, chill out on the bashing please. That's the biggest (if the only) drawback to the other forum. The gentleman simply asked for opinions on the matter. There is no right or wrong. Thats the great thing about opinions. Of course we can't change the era we live in & yes, it's just stupid to pretend otherwise. Modern technology has brought us many great conveniences, thing is, some of us would be just as content without them, thats all. Personaly, it's not about costumes or hair do's or even bikes for that matter; just about simplicity, & a slower pace of life. No matter what though, as some of you have said, you've got to make the most of every day.

ditto
08-18-2009, 5:09 PM
i think hindsight always tends to get dolled up in the rear view
there was the same problems, fears and unkowns back then that there are today. Famine, bad economy and world wars were happening just as they are now and i think a helluva lot less people could afford toys like we seem to be able to. Work was harder and longer for the most part and just trying to live seems to me took a large part of their 'living'
It seemed to be a much more naive time then now - theres a definite sexiness to that
I dont regret the present and look forward to the future, but I sure look back at my youth as better times/days gone by - its basically what the collective does when looking back in history I think

It seems like it was a much happier time to burn fossil fuels though - and the stds of the day wouldnt kill ya as quickly - those are both positives to refelct back on as I dont think we will get to do either of those with as much carefree-edness.

Other than that I think its a load of alot of the same, just different sneakers.

clay
08-19-2009, 8:15 AM
If youre bummed living in 2009 just go get some pomade, slick back your hair, buy some expensive jeans, roll them up, put on a white tshirt and pretend you live in 1950.

Dont forget to get a bunch of tattoos of pinups and anchors or whatever all that shit is about.

---I know times suck but you just gotta deal with it, unless you have a flux capacitor.

HA! i just wanna be here to see the end of it all

RustyKnuckles
08-19-2009, 8:33 AM
Its just my opinion but I think a lot of folks forget to live for each day. Sure, its easy to look back and reflect on what was, but time is better spent on what will be. I know that everyone worries about the fossil fuel issues as we are all carbon based and carb wrenching fools but I gotta say, electric bikes excite me along with future technology.

Maybe the future bikes won't have the rumble or the vibration or leaky oil spots we have been accustomed to, but at 90 mph everything is just perfect. I say create the future you want to live in. If its reflective of past era's borrow what you enjoyed from those times and recreate it in your own mold. I think the guys who are into the steampunk philosophy are making some really cool shit in this regard.

whatever it takes just move forward and take rebellion to its ultimate height, that is live your life on your own terms. Much harder to do than most anything else as the constant in life is change.

Rusty Knuckles

Xianleather
08-19-2009, 8:43 AM
Technology will be the downfall of mankind... Keep it simple, work with your hands, leave your mark and never look back..

Homebrew
08-19-2009, 9:38 AM
I think the world was just as screwed up then as now they just didn't have CNN and the internet to let you know how bad it really is. That's why neighborhoods were so friendly, because it was all you knew and you knew everyone in it and didn't know what was going on in or what was Iraq or the West Bank. I guess ignorance was bliss.

Kokuma
08-19-2009, 2:51 PM
The chicks are sluttier nowadays. Not really a bad thing, I guess...'cept you gotta buy them stuff now.

boogieman
08-19-2009, 6:07 PM
I dunno, I get real sick of the "cell phone zombies." To me a cell phone zombie (you heard it coined here first lol) is someone looking at the bastard and texting every minute or so. If you check your phone over once every half hour, you got a fuggin problem. Ditch that thing and get back to reality. It's a fucking parasite to your life.

Anyway, think about it now we got all sorts of cool shit going on. Look around at pics of bikes and stuff. Back then you only had a handful of bikes to choose from, hell now you got everything they had back then, everything they made since, and everything they are making each day.

I think old shit is cool but you have so much more access to stuff now. Back then if you wanted to build a chop you may be able to ask half a dozen people stuff (if you were lucky). Now you got the world at your fingertips. Also, seems much easier to find parts if ya got dough to spend on em.

I am 28 but almost 29, I think my generation (anyone from 25-35 or so feels about the same, we never really had any defining moments as a generation), sort of makes you sentimental for the past.

bwleather
08-19-2009, 6:31 PM
I dunno, I get real sick of the "cell phone zombies." To me a cell phone zombie (you heard it coined here first lol) is someone looking at the bastard and texting every minute or so. If you check your phone over once every half hour, you got a fuggin problem. Ditch that thing and get back to reality. It's a fucking parasite to your life.

Anyway, think about it now we got all sorts of cool shit going on. Look around at pics of bikes and stuff. Back then you only had a handful of bikes to choose from, hell now you got everything they had back then, everything they made since, and everything they are making each day.

I think old shit is cool but you have so much more access to stuff now. Back then if you wanted to build a chop you may be able to ask half a dozen people stuff (if you were lucky). Now you got the world at your fingertips. Also, seems much easier to find parts if ya got dough to spend on em.

I am 28 but almost 29, I think my generation (anyone from 25-35 or so feels about the same, we never really had any defining moments as a generation), sort of makes you sentimental for the past.

Well said.

jason43
08-19-2009, 7:58 PM
I try to take my impressions of the past and incorporate them into my style. I like music from the early 1900's through now, different types of art, cars, bikes, Kitchy shit, I try to encorporate all of the things I like from past generations and use them to inspire me and the things I do and am into.

As far as wishing I was born in another time, I do daydream about it. I think thats natural. Of course, I don't dream about living an average life in that time, I'd want to be living in the wild west as an outlaw, or in the Hells Angels in 1965, or hanging out at Sun Studios in 1955... none of which probably would have happened. It is nice to get nostalgic about it though, because it takes my mind off of the shittyness of right now.

On the other hand, I do love right now. I have some good friends who hang out and we make some cool shit. Someday, my kids are going to look through the pictures that I take of the shit I do now and wish they were old enough to enjoy it. Wish they had seen the Smashing Pumpkins in the 90's or 311 and all the other mid-late90's 'alternative' bands I saw in high school, all the punk and hardcore shows I saw after HS... and all the other stuff that won't be around or wont be the same.

I hate the commercialization of now. Most 'mainstream culture' was created by some 5th Ave ad agency who pumped your high school kids head with bullshit. Also, I hate that due to technology, I can't just drop out. Once you are in the system, you are in there. Once the government gets control of health care, they pretty much have the power to erace you with the click of a mouse... hell they pretty much have that power now and its pretty terrifying. I'm glad that I can have a cell phone to make a call, an ipod that can hold a zillion songs, and whatever else, but I'd also like for some things to just leave me out of it if thats where I want to be.

Sometimes though, I do just kinda hope for society to collapse. So basically, I daydream about living in the past and living in the Mad Max version of the future that I think we're headed into... who knows... guess thats enough of my rambling...

Tankred
08-19-2009, 8:22 PM
I'm happy with life right now. My music is somewhat decent, I have two bikes I can dick around with when I'm bored, I've got a scholarship that's worth a shit, and more often than not, I just feel good.

Sure, mainstream culture and music is shitty, but big deal. Its easy to avoid.

Revelator
08-19-2009, 8:34 PM
Technology will be the downfall of mankind... Keep it simple, work with your hands, leave your mark and never look back..

That is so true.
many may scoff at that statement, but let's look 50 years ahead. Man will be looking
back & yearning for the days of old. Just look at the changes in the last 50 years of
mother earth. Life could very well be like depicted in the road warrior, or worse.

When the world is running down, You make the best of what's still around.

ChoppyGee
08-19-2009, 9:46 PM
the wild west was great if you liked syphilus. i also dont think they had cold beer in the gold rush days. nostalgia is just nieve dressed up on rockabilly shirts and poodle skirts. sometimes acting your age means acting your era too. 30 year old dudes dressed up like james dean is just as silly as 18 year old kids dressed up like joey ramone. if you weren't there your just pretending to be someone your not. same goes for modern bikers who dress up like cowboys. everybody should just be who they are. all the halloween costumes are stupid.
You have a right to your opinion dude but some of this shit you said is lame. Acting my era? so you're tellin us that if you're not a mindless sheep and follow the happen'n shit we're playing dress up? Isn't it all just a costume? I mean if I went to the nearest mall and bought all the latest hip gear I would be pretending to be something I'm not. For five years I did the whole skin tight jeans and weird ass hair thing because I was in the Hardcore music scene and thats how it was (before this ridiculous shitty metal rivival) and now everyone is doing that, all the kids that made fun of me in high school dress that way now and so I stopped. It just stopped making sense. I'm guilty of kinda doing the who rockabilly thing. Not because I'm trying so damn hard to be that person but it just kinda happened. I like wearing this and that and combing my hair back so it doesn't get all dicked on the motorcycle. Sure the whole Kustom Kulture thing took alot of cues from back in the day but its own thing in its own era now. Perhaps you should stop worrying about who's prentending and posing and what Johnny Greaser and Jill HotTopic are wearing and get on that bike and ride.

KT
08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Alright fuck it I'll throw my quarter against the wall.......

I dont know man according to my dad who is 83 times were simpler but not any easier if anything alot harder ...And alot of these "can you help me" fuckers wouldnt be alive in those times ..... back in the day those fuckers were tough not cause they wanted to be but because they had to be....

Ya know I wonder if that isnt a big problem with now ..Nature makes it to were a creature that will not feed and shelter its self does not survive that is natures way....We as humans override natures plan by giving all the hand outs we give is that a hard nose way to be yea but nature and life are not easy......

I say do what ya want just dont fuck with my plan and we are cool ... I don't care if ya wanna dress like happy days or a hippie ...Just don't be fake ..If you enjoy something then it is not fake to you and that is what matters ...in 34 years I have almost died twice major trauma both times watch my mom lay in a bed and waste away for 3 years before dieing had people try to stab me shoot me been homeless from a drunk driver going thru my house on and on ...I still get up every morning hug my kids kiss my wife and take the day as a new day and one more yesterday.......

Life will crush you if you let it be strong be positive and just keep swimming LOL alright I spoke my 2 cents here is a video to sum it all up, Laters Kelly

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bmXri8ZCKjc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bmXri8ZCKjc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>