PDA

View Full Version : How can I make 1" grips fit my 7/8 bar?

djturnz
04-24-2010, 8:39 PM
I found some grips on ebay that I liked. I didn't know which ones I liked and bought two pair from same seller. Turns out the ones I like are for one inch bars. Of course the left side is too big.

Is there a better way than to wrap my bar with duct tape?

SMChewy
04-24-2010, 8:51 PM
You might wanna try some of that liquid rubber stuff they sell at ACE. It's for like replacing/making rubber handles for tools. They also sell this rubber-ish tape stuff that once you wrap it on it's self it bonds permanently making the same final product as the liquid stuff I mentioned before. I have used both for random stuff like this before and both are pretty good. The tape stuff might make for easier clean up in your case.

JapJeff
04-25-2010, 9:46 AM
Get yourself a cheap set of used 1 inch bars. Cut off the ends the size you need. Take a angle grinder and cut a full length slice where the seam is(look inside and you will see the original seam edge). install over the ends of your bars and install the grips. I hope yor can understand this. Did this using Harley controls on a old CB750 and it worked great.

albertahawk
04-25-2010, 12:55 PM
lol i didnt understand that at all ...my buddy is in the same perdicament please draw a diagram or a how to ..

tobiism
04-25-2010, 1:08 PM
Get yourself a cheap set of used 1 inch bars. Cut off the ends the size you need. Take a angle grinder and cut a full length slice where the seam is(look inside and you will see the original seam edge). install over the ends of your bars and install the grips. I hope yor can understand this. Did this using Harley controls on a old CB750 and it worked great.

Remember you'll only be able to do this with .063 wall thickness handlebars. The .120 will be too thick. So don't go destroying any handlebars if they're the wrong thickness!

albertahawk
04-25-2010, 1:22 PM
so let me get this straight you cut off the 1" to the length you need and sleave it onto the 7/8 then weld the sleeve on

tobiism
04-25-2010, 1:26 PM
so let me get this straight you cut off the 1" to the length you need and sleave it onto the 7/8 then weld the sleeve on

yeah, can do. but it'll be easier if you cut the tubing lengthwise at the weld seam, this way it'll easily slide over the original bar. Spot weld in place and you're set.

JapJeff
04-25-2010, 3:25 PM
Glad someone understood what I was trying to say.

motomotard
04-25-2010, 6:00 PM
take bars, apply friction tape, slid grip over, done

beanhead78
04-25-2010, 6:06 PM
take bars, apply friction tape, slid grip over, done

yeah, like hockey tape. the shit you put on yer stick!

WarGhost
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
yeah, like hockey tape. the shit you put on yer stick!

^ I've done this exact thing and it worked perfectly. Don't go through a bunch of needless work to make a grip fit if you can help it. You're just trying to thicken up that portion of the bar so that it fits snug.

cl175dave
04-26-2010, 11:31 PM
why not just buy some 1" bars and not worry about losing the grip?

djturnz
04-27-2010, 4:50 AM
why not just buy some 1" bars and not worry about losing the grip?

You are joking, right? You think I should buy new bars, new controls, and modify my risers, just to save my $10 grips?

Well I found a better way to fix this. I went back and checked the listing and it was for 7/8 grips, I contacted the seller and he sent me the wrong grips, so he is sending the correct pair. I'll just use one of each. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions.