PDA

View Full Version : What's a fair price for an XS650

bdbecker
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
So my friend's Dad has decided to sell his '78 XS650. It's the usual story - has a clean title, 11k on the odo, ran great when parked a few years ago in the shed but it won't start now, and has a few minor dents and dings. He wants to get rid of it, and my friend asked me to see what a fair price would be. I'm not sure because I picked my '79 up for $350 a few years before they started getting popular, and haven't really paid attention to what they're going for these days.

XS2rat
04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
i paid $500 for my 72' XS2 last summer. sat in a barn for over 20 years. friend of my father decided to sell it. poured new gas in and put a battery charger on it and it fired right up. went through the carbs, new battery, and new rubber and i rode it all summer. had a little over 30k miles when i got it.

i see people trying to get over 2k for non running bikes and ive seen good running 650s go for 500-800. don't really know whats fair but i wouldnt pay a fortune for one of these even though they're getting quite popular.

SangreDeDios
04-23-2010, 2:13 PM
clean title, relatively low miles, i would try to get it running and ask in the range of 800-1000 depending on what kind of shape it really is..
or about 500 - 600 the way it is.
but thats just me.

viz
04-23-2010, 5:55 PM
Price also depends on where you are located. Personally Ive never paid more then 500 for any of mine but a good clean one with decent miles is worth a grand or so around here.

Madav8tr
04-23-2010, 7:24 PM
Currently looking for a XS as we speak and I am astonished at how much people are getting for them in my area. I can't locate a decent running XS for under $1K and most are in the 1500 range. I guess it depends on your location what they are fetching price wise but they seem to be getting higher and higher around here.

SMChewy
04-23-2010, 7:34 PM
I have a XS1B frame and matching numbered motor (71 XS650, kick start only, no spot for a electric starter) for sale if anyone is interested. Frame is straight, but motor needs rebuilt, all cores are good. Including a couple tools/manuals with it too. I want about $300. No title, but vin is clean. I'm in Colorado. Sorry to throw my sale out there, but I just cracked my cases on my Ironhead and need the dough to get it fixed. Anyone interested hit me up! As for a starting price on the one this thread was started for. I'd price it to the low side personally and get some bidding wars going. With how popular these things are, he is sure to see some action on the price. I know it sounds messed up, but highest bidder wins, that's business bro!

noah
04-24-2010, 8:09 AM
I got my xs for$200 w a title but it was in about 8 milk crates and I still haven't figured out what I am missing. I see complete xs on cl for $1500 and can't belve anyone would spend that when youcould get a sportster for another $500 and end up w a newer bike w less miles

jamesgs4
04-24-2010, 7:34 PM
I got my xs for$200 w a title but it was in about 8 milk crates and I still haven't figured out what I am missing. I see complete xs on cl for $1500 and can't belve anyone would spend that when youcould get a sportster for another $500 and end up w a newer bike w less miles

But you must realize that it is not everyone's goal to ride a harley. And in my opinion new bikes suck.

Madav8tr
04-24-2010, 8:19 PM
Some folks have a sportster and still want an XS too ;)

SMChewy
04-24-2010, 8:22 PM
Some folks have a sportster and still want an XS too ;)

+1. I have both. XS was supposed to be next winter's project, but I gotta sell to fix my sporty. Sooooooo. WTF PEOPLE! No one wants a rare-er 71 XS1B???? Common now! I need to get my other one fixed so I can ride damnit!!!! Slackers.....lol

noah
04-25-2010, 7:41 AM
But you must realize that it is not everyone's goal to ride a harley. And in my opinion new bikes suck.

i absolutly agree with that my point was that a 20 year old xs costing over $1000 seems nuts to me but that is my opinion only.didnt mean to ruffle feathers

customrunner
04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Last year I picked up 2 xs650's an 79 and a 81 I paid $500 for the pair both (complet) but now your luckey to get one for less than $1500 around here.

viz
04-25-2010, 1:52 PM
+1. I have both. XS was supposed to be next winter's project, but I gotta sell to fix my sporty. Sooooooo. WTF PEOPLE! No one wants a rare-er 71 XS1B???? Common now! I need to get my other one fixed so I can ride damnit!!!! Slackers.....lol

If I was close by I would snatch that bike up in a second. I cant believe no one has jumped on it yet for that price.

SMChewy
04-25-2010, 2:18 PM
If I was close by I would snatch that bike up in a second. I cant believe no one has jumped on it yet for that price.

Dude I even had it posted with a Haynes, Clymer, and 650 Performance manuals, cam chain tool, clutch hub tool, and a couple other XS only tools. The tools alone were about $150, and I payed $300 for the frame and motor. I don't WANT to sell it, but I want to ride this year. My Sporty was great till it decided it didn't like one of the tensioner bolts I put in it, and decided to make a window in the primary so it could puke it out along with 1.5qts of fresh oil. Lucky me!!!

viz
04-25-2010, 2:36 PM
Those early ones are so bad ass. I just picked up a rough 77 for 300 and I was freakin pumped. Have you tried any other forums (xs forums) or maybe bobbertalk or somethin? I cant imagine that would be a tough sell. Its always the way though. If theres a good deal it has to be 1500 miles away. The shipping would be more then your asking for the bike. I wouldnt even hack it up, Id keep that baby stock....well maybe not LOL

SMChewy
04-25-2010, 2:47 PM
Those early ones are so bad ass. I just picked up a rough 77 for 300 and I was freakin pumped. Have you tried any other forums (xs forums) or maybe bobbertalk or somethin? I cant imagine that would be a tough sell. Its always the way though. If theres a good deal it has to be 1500 miles away. The shipping would be more then your asking for the bike. I wouldnt even hack it up, Id keep that baby stock....well maybe not LOL

I just posted it here and on CL. Got a few hits on the CL listing but it's always a dreamer, or some guy who swears he won't be able to get it titled, or a guy who has 4 motors laying around and just wants the frame. I bought it with the plans of doing minor mods to the frame, putting a longer supported swing arm on it, building the piss out of the motor, and taking it to the flats. With it having no place for an electric start the motor is about 20lbs lighter than a newer one, and I think it holds a little more oil too. One way or another I'll get my sporty fixed. And if no one buys it I still got my next winters project. I got a soldier in Afghanistan interested right now. His brother isn't far from me. I just haven't had time to take and email him pics. This is the only guy I felt good about selling it to. He really wants to build a chop, and I wouldn't feel as bad letting it go for the price I'm asking to a soldier. Those dudes are so underpaid for what they deal with everyday, and he says he's built hot rods and another XS, so I know he'll put it to good use. We'll see what happens. Let's just say I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't sell, but my other bike would be done faster if it did.

viz
04-25-2010, 2:57 PM
Cool, well hopefully the soldier will snatch that bike up. Im with you though, I wouldnt be heartbroken if that did sell either. That will make a great winter project for sure. My next project for me will be a sporty. Ive been wanting to do one up , just dont have the funds so I know where you are comin from with selling one to get the other done

teamnaptime
04-25-2010, 3:32 PM
fair price is really dependant on the seller, and the buyer..

what the seller hopes to get out of it, and what the buyer is willing to pay.

i personally wouldnt pay more than a grand for a perfect running 70's jap bike.

popular or not, they are still 70's jap bikes. they arent worth any more now, than they were last year. we arent talking about rare ferraris here. were talking about dime a dozen 70's jap bikes.

i see guys regularly getting these for 2-3 hundred, or even free.

i had a buddy get a 72 handed to him last week. free.

he took it home, charged the battery, changed the plugs, and fired it up.

i also know someone that paid over 2000 for a 77 a few months ago, on craiglist. ran, but rusted. completely stock.

but, he just had to have an xs650, and the seller knew he could milk it..

its all in the buyer and the seller

fools.

trnrover
04-25-2010, 3:46 PM
I just posted it here and on CL. Got a few hits on the CL listing but it's always a dreamer, or some guy who swears he won't be able to get it titled, or a guy who has 4 motors laying around and just wants the frame. I bought it with the plans of doing minor mods to the frame, putting a longer supported swing arm on it, building the piss out of the motor, and taking it to the flats. With it having no place for an electric start the motor is about 20lbs lighter than a newer one, and I think it holds a little more oil too. One way or another I'll get my sporty fixed. And if no one buys it I still got my next winters project. I got a soldier in Afghanistan interested right now. His brother isn't far from me. I just haven't had time to take and email him pics. This is the only guy I felt good about selling it to. He really wants to build a chop, and I wouldn't feel as bad letting it go for the price I'm asking to a soldier. Those dudes are so underpaid for what they deal with everyday, and he says he's built hot rods and another XS, so I know he'll put it to good use. We'll see what happens. Let's just say I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't sell, but my other bike would be done faster if it did.

18 hrs away or i'd hook both of us up. Over in W KY. The 400's are just as high here.

ouch
04-26-2010, 4:54 PM
saw a post on craigs for anyone in the area. Haverhill MA, 3 bikes for $300
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/1711562794.html