PDA

View Full Version : Best grip to cut down on tingling hands?

JBW5
07-22-2014, 9:16 AM
Any input out there on vibration dampening grips? I'm running a thin set of motocross grips on my CB right now and after a long haul my hands tingle quite a bit.

Hepcat13
07-22-2014, 9:37 AM
I like Kungfu grips for that. Kinda squishy.

inkedmonkey
07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Ditto, they're comfy

ContractKiller
07-22-2014, 10:27 AM
I run titty cushions. They're pretty comfy.

rjwatters38
07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
i have a set of red avon coke bottle grips i liked but didnt like the color so i bought some Biltwell recoil grips. i like the looks better but i need to break them in a little i think they are a little more stiff than the avons but both feel great on my death trap

GeeRock
07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Nother vote for Kung Fus.

turbonate
07-22-2014, 11:58 AM
I use tennis racket tape

farmall
07-22-2014, 12:25 PM
I use the ancient trick of swatting a fat lead fishing sinker into each handlebar end. (It shaves the excess off.)

I also generally wear riding gloves, usually TIG gloves which are inexpensive and comfortable.

Buellbomb
07-22-2014, 1:10 PM
I use ProGrip 714s on my busa, they help with the tingling on long interstate rides. Cheap too, about ten bucks. I always wear gloves, too.

Clockwork444
07-22-2014, 2:25 PM
I am a sucker for coke bottles, so i bought a set of avons. they are ok, but i found later that joker machine makes (or made) coke bottles also, and they are slightly larger and about three times as soft. i wish i had bought more sets

edit: they still make them. dennis kirk sells them. 20$ they are definately bigger and softer than avon grips. look up joker machine rubber radial grips

rjwatters38
07-22-2014, 3:00 PM
I am a sucker for coke bottles, so i bought a set of avons. they are ok, but i found later that joker machine makes (or made) coke bottles also, and they are slightly larger and about three times as soft. i wish i had bought more sets

edit: they still make them. dennis kirk sells them. 20$ they are definately bigger and softer than avon grips. look up joker machine rubber radial grips

I'll have to try these, however I just got back from a ride and I was really trying to get a feel for the Recoils I have. After about 300 miles they seem to have started to break in where my hands grip the most, and the warm sun really loosens them up. they feel great, but I'm curious to know how much of that is because of the 80* unobstructed sunlight beating down on them

I'll have to check out the jokers next time I decide to change bars/grips... based off my previous record should happen sometime in the next 2 weeks.

bigsteveo
07-22-2014, 8:21 PM
Ive run coke bottle grips for years, bought a bunch when they were on sale at Flyrite. Also, dont grip the bars so tight.

JBW5
07-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the input! I ordered some natural Kung fu grips earlier today! I'll let y'all know how they work out!

johnnystick
07-24-2014, 8:36 PM
Loved my kung-fus, but they got ridiculously super sticky. So much so that they started falling apart because they would stick to my hands/gloves. Garage kept and i live in the north. Not sure if I got a bad batch or what. Going to try some coke bottles next.

inkedmonkey
07-25-2014, 2:28 PM
Weird, only issue I've had with them is when they get old the little ribs start to come off and hang. Still comfy though.

ProfessorSquidbeard
07-27-2014, 10:42 PM
kung fu's

ScarTissue
07-28-2014, 8:10 AM
Weird, only issue I've had with them is when they get old the little ribs start to come off and hang. Still comfy though.

Yep. Still my favorite grips on the market.

FatChibs
07-28-2014, 8:36 AM
Loved my kung-fus, but they got ridiculously super sticky. So much so that they started falling apart because they would stick to my hands/gloves. Garage kept and i live in the north. Not sure if I got a bad batch or what. Going to try some coke bottles next.

Those grips are super tender, easy to fuck up. They were nice, but I have the avon coke bottles now and I'm really happy with them. One of the better options considering I had to get one with the throttle in it and I'm very pleased with them.

Rubman
07-28-2014, 9:13 AM
Thanks for the input! I ordered some natural Kung fu grips earlier today! I'll let y'all know how they work out!

back when i owned a metric bike and was trying to figure out how to stop this, all the old cats on the forums i was on said fill the bars with sand. that always made sense to me, but i never tried it. i imagine that would dampen the vibrations QUITE a bit.

Ramzilla
07-28-2014, 9:28 AM
I have a set of the Avon coke bottles in red flake on miy daily and I like the feel but they have been on this whole season and are starting to get all sticky and gross. I am waiting on Lowbrow to release their fishscale grips so I can try a set.

chevy2tom
07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
I have the seven sins flake grips for the look but my throttle hand goes numb quick so I bought the friction mount cruise control from eBay. Problem solved!

TwoLaneFever
07-29-2014, 7:05 PM
"super bike" rubbers,,,soft tacky ,good on cutting vibes not slick when wet

xllance
07-30-2014, 9:47 AM
I have Baxter grips on my Sportster right now and haven't had any problems. They do get sticky though. No biggie to me. A trick I've heard but never tried is filling the bars with silicone.

seaking
07-30-2014, 10:30 AM
I have an idea for all of ya, why don't you take your tingly hands and jackoff, it'll feel like someone else is doing it. :)

xllance
07-30-2014, 10:37 AM
I have an idea for all of ya, why don't you take your tingly hands and jackoff, it'll feel like someone else is doing it. :)
Because I have servants do that for me.

seaking
07-30-2014, 10:54 AM
I bet the gimp has a nice firm grip

http://www.timothysykes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/the-gimp.jpg

CarloFreeze
08-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I had a set of Biltwell KungFu's that started to come apart and get really gummy like others had mentioned here. If you have a CB with 7/8" bars, I can highly recommend the Cole Foster grips (available at Low Brow, etc.) They are thicker rubber (about a 1/4" between the bar and your hand and have that tapered "coke bottle" feel. I like these so much better on my CB. Better bars with thicker tubing also helps.

As far as vibration goes, the point of lead weights, bar weights or whatever else is to reduce or lower the ringing vibration of the bars themselves. It really has more to do with the frequency of the vibration that makes your hands go numb. Think of the bars like a ringing bell. If you modify that ringing frequency with some lead (I've even heard of people pouring buckshot in their bars) or weights, it lowers that frequency to a lower tone that won't affect you as much.

Also consider front wheel truing and balancing if you haven't already.

CarloFreeze
08-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Also, this is good advice. On long trips, it's nice to gas up and get off in one stop.

choppercon
08-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I have filled handlebars with BBs before and it helped a bit

loddytoddy
08-08-2014, 12:55 PM

I figure if they are good enough for my feet they're good enough for my hands..

vans waffle sole grips. I have always ran BMX grips on my bikes.. they're soft and that's what I'm used to, since I have modified BMX bars on the scoot anyway..

7and7is
08-09-2014, 9:28 AM
ATV foam grips soak up a lot of vibes.

RetroRob
08-11-2014, 9:11 PM
Try gel gloves, bicycle shops sell them