PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn and the Invitational

10watt
07-22-2014, 8:26 AM
So, I'm trying to figure out a plan to make up to the Brooklyn Invitational... and have some questions for those that live there or have been.

1. Bike security. I was looking at getting a place through AirBnB (https://www.airbnb.com), and was hoping to find someone with a garage or off-street parking, but that's not something people advertise. How do you keep your bikes safe up there? It seems like the B.I. would be a prime time to scoop up some bikes if you were a criminal. I imagine if you live there you've got a system for securing your ride (cover, big ass chain and lock, etc.), but traveling in is a different story.

2 On that ^ note... anyone know of a good place to stay or want to rent out a couch or something? I'm not into getting raped or murdered so if that's your thing I'll pass.

I'm familiar with Brooklyn and NY, but is there anything else I should be considering about parking or the event or whatever?

Yeah... I'm a bit of planner and like to have my ducks in a row before I just "ride into town."

BandT
07-22-2014, 8:34 AM
I'm doing the same thing but haven't found any secure parking anywhere. Where riding down from New Hampshire

10watt
07-22-2014, 9:02 AM
Keep me posted BandT... I'm interested in what you figure out. That goes for anyone else who's going.
I'd be heading up from Florida.

Pendulum
07-22-2014, 9:08 AM
Might try hitting up some local shops. I heard a while back that someone in BK will let you leave it at their shop.

tattoo2303
07-22-2014, 9:19 AM
i had a friend that lived not far from there i a sketchier area and had a guy offer his gated and dog protected lot to keep it in (and by offered said for $100 your bike will still be here in the morning- hint hint if you dont it wont be) so after being shook down i managed to haggle him down to $40 and figured that was the cost of being in the city!

well same friend moved even closer to the invitational in a nicer area, nicer building and i left my bike in front over night and never thought twice about it.

if you can find some like minded people that are also trying to keep their stuff safe you can run a chain through all the bikes rear/front wheels and atleast make it harder for a theif, in the end if someone is desperate and/or really wants something they will find a way to get it

greaseTrap
07-22-2014, 11:40 AM
take a prospect with you and have him guard it all night!!

SyndicateChoppers
07-22-2014, 11:58 AM
if your going to make a trip down stay the night on Long Island,
much more secure area and plenty of hotels to stay,
its about a 40 min ride from where the invitational is

As far as securing your bike at the show there is no need for that, there are plenty of people out on the street where the bikes are parked no one is going to mess with anything at the show

birthcontrol
07-22-2014, 12:18 PM
is there a thread for the event? I went a few years ago and haven't heard anything of it since....

10watt
07-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks fellas. Yeah... I'm not worried about the show and parties... just parking over night. That's a good call about just staying at a hotel. Usually I'll stay at a motel and put it in the room. I do have friends in the White Plains area, but that looks like a good hour each way.

As for the show... they never seem to post much about it. I guess they don't have to...?

MadRiverMoCo
07-22-2014, 1:03 PM
if you're there earlier than the day of the show....follow Carmine's advice and stay on Strong Island or call Works and see if they've got space for the weekend (they are on the same street as Root Gallery)

Don't stay at the Harvard Club...it weirds them out

NIGHTTIGER666
07-22-2014, 6:28 PM
I'm in downtown Jersey City and can probably provide a few parking spots in my garage if necessary.

brooklynchanged
07-26-2014, 1:05 PM
I have space for two if you guys don't mind sleeping on the floor in a small apt with a dog and space for five bikes in my courtyard.all donations accepted ..haha pm if intersted though

Wolfchop
07-26-2014, 6:37 PM
I live on Long Island ill let ppl stay on my 1acre of property with two cane corsos and two English mastiffs you can camp out in a huge open yard... And I won't rape you I promise

brooklynchanged
07-27-2014, 9:05 AM
I can't beat 1acre of land.but we can the Play hipster hunter here in bk

Wolfie
07-28-2014, 7:30 PM
Got a link to this event ?....both my kids livin in Brooklyn now fer awhile...and I been needin an excuse to cross the Hudson (ya, I like my woods and mountains)....Im in OC. NY. so day trip fer me....

Rubman
07-28-2014, 8:02 PM
I'm in downtown Jersey City and can probably provide a few parking spots in my garage if necessary.

this fuckin' guy.

edit: you should also know that the ride from jersey city to brooklyn is a fun and interesting one. and nighttiger is a pretty fuckin' nice dude.

SyndicateChoppers
07-29-2014, 6:26 AM
is there a thread for the event? I went a few years ago and haven't heard anything of it since....

no threads needed
the show is going on its 6th year I think ?
and it gets bigger every year

Do a google search for the event and get the date mark it on your calendar and show up
you don't need a thread for it
Its kind of one of those "no need to advertise" type events. They have vendor spots for some vendors to sell their products in one room and another room full of high end custom bikes by builders in the small community of builders that most of the people here can appreciate.

FatChibs
07-29-2014, 9:05 AM
I live on Long Island ill let ppl stay on my 1acre of property with two cane corsos and two English mastiffs you can camp out in a huge open yard... And I won't rape you I promise

Lol I had to look up what a cane corso is, just read an article that two of them mauled a man to death fucking brutal dogs eh?

Rubman
07-29-2014, 9:13 AM
no threads needed

Do a google search for the event and get the date mark it on your calendar and show up
Its kind of one of those "no need to advertise" type events. They have vendor spots for some vendors to sell their products in one room and another room full of high end custom bikes by builders in the small community of builders that most of the people here can appreciate.

And outside, the street (at least an 8th mile long, I'd say -- maybe more) is LINED with all types of scoots from custom choppers to (naturally) cafe faggotshit. Oh, and hipster broads a-plenty. I wasn't at least year's shit show (the pre-party sent too many shivers down my spine), but the year before, the beer was cheap and it was a real good time -- plenty of trouble to be gotten into.

MadRiverMoCo
07-29-2014, 9:28 AM
And outside, the street (at least an 8th mile long, I'd say -- maybe more) is LINED with all types of scoots from custom choppers to (naturally) cafe faggotshit. Oh, and hipster broads a-plenty. I wasn't at least year's shit show (the pre-party sent too many shivers down my spine), but the year before, the beer was cheap and it was a real good time -- plenty of trouble to be gotten into.

After my performance at the BI two years ago, Ace put the kibosh on last year...

Without LeBeefster/C Leech/Dice Table, I could have easily succumbed to my hangover...

Took me two weeks to dry out

Rubman
07-29-2014, 9:31 AM
After my performance at the BI two years ago, Ace put the kibosh on last year...

Without LeBeefster/C Leech/Dice Table, I could have easily succumbed to my hangover...

Took me two weeks to dry out

I can't believe you were there and we didn't get locked up together. What a disappointment. You going to roll down this year? Bring the clowder and let's get horrible.

Andy
07-29-2014, 6:11 PM
no threads needed

http://brooklyninvitationalbikeshow.blogspot.com

It has grown a lot since the first one and is not to be missed if you're anywhere within riding distance.

Wolfie
07-29-2014, 7:00 PM
Thanks Andy....I refuse to use Google since they send yer info to the feds.....I think Im gonna pass on this one....seems like a kid thing judging by the comments....Im WELL over 50, lol...I dont think Id fit in there.... ;)
Have a good time guys !!!....

Wolfchop
07-29-2014, 7:32 PM
yea lol but theyre well trained and can be put away with no issue.. my male is fair tempered and most of my friends can hang with out getting eaten

SyndicateChoppers
07-30-2014, 5:47 AM
Thanks Andy....I refuse to use Google since they send yer info to the feds.....I think Im gonna pass on this one....seems like a kid thing judging by the comments....Im WELL over 50, lol...I dont think Id fit in there.... ;)
Have a good time guys !!!....
Its not a kid thing at all If your within riding distance why would you not just take a ride down show up, check out a few bikes, walk around the vendor section, maybe grab a beer and some food from the food truck outside walk the block a few times and check out all the bikes on the street, (most of the time some of the the bikes on the street are nicer than some of the bikes inside)
have a good time and head home when you have seen all you want to see ?
Theres really no antics that go on there.
Ive yet to see anyone call the cops for anything going on at the show cause nothing goes on that is out of place

If your into custom bikes from the more vintage era it is the best show in the north east area for sure,
might as well come check it out

theIVthcrusade
07-30-2014, 6:58 AM
If your into custom bikes from the more vintage era it is the best show in the north east area for sure,

Couldn't agree more. Gypsy Run followed by the Invitational make September the best time of year for motorcycle related fun in the NJ/NY area.

MadRiverMoCo
07-30-2014, 7:45 AM
Its not a kid thing at all
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/537x720q90/836/59997432653447204603017.jpg
Now you have me feeling like a bad dad...

Andy
07-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Its not a kid thing at all If your within riding distance why would you not just take a ride down show up, check out a few bikes, walk around the vendor section, maybe grab a beer and some food from the food truck outside walk the block a few times and check out all the bikes on the street, (most of the time some of the the bikes on the street are nicer than some of the bikes inside)
have a good time and head home when you have seen all you want to see ?
Theres really no antics that go on there.
Ive yet to see anyone call the cops for anything going on at the show cause nothing goes on that is out of place

Spot on Carmine.

Don't miss out on a great day, both inside and outside.

Wolfie
07-31-2014, 5:38 PM

Thanks Syn....will see if me a few of the boys can take a run down to the "big city", lol.... ;)
Im still plannin on doin Catskill Mtn Thunder too...a few M/Cs I been tight with always go there....

Leiffireeater80
08-02-2014, 12:45 PM
It's a great weekend to just hang out and have fun. The bikes are great and there is a ton of food and booze right around the show to enjoy. I'm sure there will also be a bunch of pre and after parties as years before.

NIGHTTIGER666
08-19-2014, 3:33 PM

Dudes, unfortunately I'll be moving my garage in September and won't have complete control until October 1st. This means I won't be able to accommodate anybody for the invitational. Sorry in advance if you planned on getting in touch.

fourspeed
08-19-2014, 8:02 PM
Im in eastern Pa,Lehigh Valley area and looks like I'll be having some sort of get together the Fri night before the show.We're about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs away from Brooklyn and we'll be leaving sometime Sat morning for the show.Anyones welcome to come party/ride along.Got some out-of-towners coming and should be fun.Theres plenty of room ,pm me for details.

GarageWrench
08-20-2014, 9:06 PM
Is there anyone staying at a near by motel, something like La Quinta or Bestwestern? Would like to book a night in advance.

XbrooklynX
08-22-2014, 9:34 AM
And check out Vinnies Pizza on bedford while youre there!!!

CISO1969
08-22-2014, 11:42 AM

LOL. I grew up in Syosset. Im in Pennsyltucky now.

Most of Long Island ( Wrong Island, Longuyland) is a good bet. Stay away from parts of Hempstead, Westbury, and a few others might be issues or sketchy.It has changed a lot since the early 90's so what was once scary may be middle class. When in doubt do some googling.

Lee

BandT
08-25-2014, 3:33 PM
Wolfchop were you serious about camping in your yard and are you planning on riding over to the invitational and or dice party?

Rubman
08-25-2014, 5:16 PM
And check out Vinnies Pizza on bedford while youre there!!!

Criff Dogs, my nigga.

XbrooklynX
08-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Criff Dogs, my nigga.

Im scared of the big city.

acegoulet
08-29-2014, 10:32 AM
I live in Astoria (queens) about a 10 min ride from the show. I have a safe/secure garage with space for roughly 8 bikes if packed in right, plenty of couch and floor space, two of the friendliest dogs in the world, and a killer view of the city skyline from my rooftop.

I was going to offer it up for people to crash here, but just found out I'll be out of the country that weekend. Damn! Sorry!

KeithMayhem
08-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Criff Dogs, my nigga.

Criff Dogs is awesome

Jesse13
09-05-2014, 8:39 AM
Does Anyone know of a hotel close to Williamsburg that would have parking ? I stayed like 10 miles from the event last year and that sucked . Took me 2hrs to go 10 miles . I was not riding tho . This year i have to trailer a bike down to do a trade . need a hotel i can store truck and trailer & bike till Sat - Sunday . I have been looking and seems no Brooklyn Hotels have parking . No way i can leave this shit on the street. Any help would be rad !

brooklynchanged
09-05-2014, 1:14 PM
How big is the. Truck trailer and the only hotels with parking. Are those hourly hotels and trust me you don't want that.

Gimmedanger
09-06-2014, 9:55 PM
Honestly, the area has become so pussified, it wouldn't really be the end of the world to park on the street with a good lock. I live in the 'bad' part of LIC, park on the sidewalk under my bedroom window and it's fine. Sometimes I even cover it.

There's a Fairfield Inn on Van Dam st. that has a small parking lot, that street will take you right over a small bridge right into Greenpoint/Williamsburg, maybe a 10 min ride to the event.

ComestoLife
09-18-2014, 9:24 PM
Would anyone be interested in riding down saturday morning from the VT/NH Upper Valley area?

vonhelmet
09-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Just got back home. Good time, great bikes as usual but way more crowded this year and an ass load of cops. Thoes fuckers were everywhere.

Rubman
09-22-2014, 3:09 AM
Just got back home. Good time, great bikes as usual but way more crowded this year and an ass load of cops. Thoes fuckers were everywhere.

Yeah, they really were everywhere.

And I don't know, man. I actually thought it was a lot LESS crowded this year than years prior. I was actually pretty stoked about that.

I also found myself spending less time at the ACTUAL invitational and more time jamming around town, at a bar (because there's no fucking way in goddamn hell that I'm paying $5 for a cup of bud light), or off eating somewhere.

Either way, I still had a pretty good time. And the ride home that night was absolutely perfect -- ideal riding weather. Last year it was so cold coming home from the pre-party that my arms and fingers were numb and I actually dropped my bike in my driveway because I couldn't sort myself out properly haha.

paulw
09-22-2014, 6:22 AM
I think there was so many cops because the dew your was literaly on the same street

Andy
09-22-2014, 3:41 PM
I think there was so many cops because the dew your was literaly on the same street

Yeah I think that's what did it, all traffic had to turn onto 14th and go right by the Invitational.

It was definitely the most crowded it's ever been, both inside and outside.

SquashThatFly
09-22-2014, 7:23 PM
Dew Tour being right there Fucked up traffic. I had a blast. It was an adventure for sure. NYC traffic and roads can suck a fat dick. We split lanes as much as possible but sometimes theres only so much you can do.
My starter took a shit on the way home but other than that, i had a ton of fun. Weather was great. Party were fun. The Dice after party at the Black Bear was impossible to get a drink in so we bolted and explored the town. The Indian larry block party had some really killer bikes too

Otherside
09-22-2014, 8:31 PM
Were any of the invitational bikes actually ridden there?

SyndicateChoppers
09-23-2014, 7:43 AM
Were any of the invitational bikes actually ridden there?

why do people get so hell bent on that ?
Probably not and to be honest when I bring bikes to do magazine photo shoots or shows where the bike is being featured I don't ride them there either, its easier to clean the bike and prep it at home at my shop
no reason to ride it and get it dirty minutes before its supposed to be looking like a gleaming diamond.

The point of a bike show is to "show" the bike and most builders like myself feel the same way that when building a bike that cost us $20-$30k possibly more, with thousands of people crowding around it that have traveled across the country to see it, I want the damn bike to look its possible best it can,

Plenty of those bikes get ridden on a normal basis,
Nicke Svensons knucklehead is his main bike that he owns and rides, Max Schaafs bike has been together for literally years now and Max rides as much as anyone else does and he rides his bike, Jeff Wright by far rides the hell out of his bikes that he builds, and so do the rest of the builders at the show.

So were they ridden into the show the day of or day before ? - probably not
Do the bikes get ridden by their owners ? - yeah of course they do

MadRiverMoCo
09-23-2014, 10:53 AM
why do people get so hell bent on that ?
Probably not and to be honest when I bring bikes to do magazine photo shoots or shows where the bike is being featured I don't ride them there either, its easier to clean the bike and prep it at home at my shop
no reason to ride it and get it dirty minutes before its supposed to be looking like a gleaming diamond.

The point of a bike show is to "show" the bike and most builders like myself feel the same way that when building a bike that cost us $20-$30k possibly more, with thousands of people crowding around it that have traveled across the country to see it, I want the damn bike to look its possible best it can,

Plenty of those bikes get ridden on a normal basis,
Nicke Svensons knucklehead is his main bike that he owns and rides, Max Schaafs bike has been together for literally years now and Max rides as much as anyone else does and he rides his bike, Jeff Wright by far rides the hell out of his bikes that he builds, and so do the rest of the builders at the show.

So were they ridden into the show the day of or day before ? - probably not
Do the bikes get ridden by their owners ? - yeah of course they do

Exactly the sentiment I was about to respond but so much more adult than I would have managed...

Thank you Boss

Otherside
09-23-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm not hell bent on anything, it was just a simple question. I know some of these bikes get ridden fairly regularly. I guess I have a different point of view, I would rather see a dirty bike on a pedestal than a gleaming diamond rolled off a trailer.

MadRiverMoCo
09-23-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm not hell bent on anything, it was just a simple question. I know some of these bikes get ridden fairly regularly. I guess I have a different point of view, I would rather see a dirty bike on a pedestal than a gleaming diamond rolled off a trailer.

Every bike is at one time pristine...

The patina'd show bike sports as much artifice as the trailer queen...

But none of these bikes are trailer queens...

They are just not letting the road get in the way of the audience's eyes...

And a few years back Sunrise rode that rigid evo from LA, did a wipe down and put it in the show...

Don't judge something by how easily the words of dismissal can roll off your tongue...you miss too much beauty that way

nerdsports
09-23-2014, 12:59 PM
The Dice after party at the Black Bear was impossible to get a drink in so we bolted and explored the town.

They looked unprepared to handle the crowd. Two bartenders when it was scheduled as an after party? Lame. And I hate people that actually sit at the bar at crowded joints.

Rubman
09-23-2014, 2:39 PM
We didn't bother with any of the after party bull shit. I saw everyone I needed and wanted to see, got to drool over all the bikes inside and outside o the show, and drank more beer than I care to admit. That was good enough for me!

KeithMayhem
09-24-2014, 8:33 AM
The Dice after party at the Black Bear was impossible to get a drink in so we bolted and explored the town.[/QUOTE]

Did the same thing too. The roads definitely sucked, killed a struggling fork seal on my bike. I still had a blast riding around Brooklyn and Queens, even got a little wet saturday night, didn't matter. This was the first year I was able to ride down and have my bike in the city. Makes for a much better experience and much easier to get around.

Rubman
09-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah dude… You can't fuck around in New York unless you're down to jam. This was the first time I went to one of these things with a particular friend of mine who rides like a total pussy, and it was unbearable at times. The traffic on 278 headed toward the willaimsburg bridge was horrendous, and getting this faggot to split lanes was like pulling teeth. And the potholes in that part of town aren't really bad. There are some sections of this city (bronx, queens, etc.) where the pot holes will literally eat your bike alive. total game-enders haha. either way, one of my best experiences of the summer was waking up in a tent in the middle of the woods in maine, and 6 hours later, splitting traffic and dodging pot holes on my way up to the Verrazano. What a life.