PDA

View Full Version : Frame with no numbers in Arizona?

Pendulum
07-21-2014, 6:18 PM
What can I do with a frame that doesn't have ANY numbers on it? I don't know where this thing came from or who built it, but I'd like to get it titled and use it for my next project. Anyone know what I need to do or who I need to talk to?

UNKLian
07-21-2014, 6:34 PM
Doesn't the title go with the motor VIN, on older bikes ?

What can I do with a frame that doesn't have ANY numbers on it? I don't know where this thing came from or who built it, but I'd like to get it titled and use it for my next project. Anyone know what I need to do or who I need to talk to?

Andy
07-21-2014, 7:07 PM

Yes if he had a titled, '69 or earlier HD engine then the frame would have no numbers (like from the factory) and he'd be good to go.

Post some pictures of the frame, is it a stock frame or a custom frame? You have to be careful if it's a stock frame, sometimes numbers have been removed.

You mentioned you don't know where it came from, how did it wind up in your possession?

Pendulum
07-21-2014, 7:09 PM

On older HDs, I believe you're right. This frame was built for either a Yamaha or Kawasaki engine according to the guy I got it from. He never did anything with it, so he never looked into titling it. It's definitely been ridden before (paint's chipped and its greasy), but that's all I know about it.

You have to be careful if it's a stock frame, sometimes numbers have been removed.

You mentioned you don't know where it came from, how did it wind up in your possession?

That's actually what I'm wondering... It's definitely not a stock frame (I'm not aware of any 70s Japanese bikes coming from the factory with a rigid frame) but I'm not sure that it's a completely custom frame. It kinda looks like someone used the engine cradle as a starting point and added the rear section and the neck. I got a whole slew of random motorcycle junk from a friends neighbor. Lots of cool old seats, some random parts, and this frame.

UNKLian
07-21-2014, 9:45 PM
IIRC, old Japanese bike were the same way, Number was on the motor.

farmall
07-21-2014, 9:56 PM
Pics would help the hive mind possibly come up with creative ways to put it to use.

Alternate option, just replace neck with one that has a title.

If you don't know what it fits it's kinda useless unless you want to do a bunch of fabbing to mount a known engine, so a neck swap ain't out of line.

Pendulum
07-22-2014, 8:45 AM
IIRC, old Japanese bike were the same way, Number was on the motor.

hmm... I've only every seen 60s-70s Japanese stuff up close, and they've got numbers. Looks like I just need to go talk to the MVD.

Pics would help the hive mind possibly come up with creative ways to put it to use.

Alternate option, just replace neck with one that has a title.

If you don't know what it fits it's kinda useless unless you want to do a bunch of fabbing to mount a known engine, so a neck swap ain't out of line.

I was told its for an old Japanese twin, and the guy said he's pretty sure it's an XS. Or a KZ. lol I've got an XS650 engine, and the mounts look right. A neck swap is feasible... I'm gonna talk to the MVD and see if I can just title it based on engine numbers.

miamio96
07-23-2014, 8:51 PM
How does a person make his own frame and title it in AZ? If there are truly no numbers on the frame tell them it is home made.