PDA

View Full Version : Led sled kicker not working :(

Damonmatty
07-21-2014, 6:11 PM
Hi everyone

So ever since they built them I wanted one. I finally saved the right money for it. Got it installed andddd nothing.

The kicker turns the motor over good and there is definitely compression but no dice.

Its a 96 883 sportster with everything stock but it won't kick over.

What do I need to do?
Do I need a new ignition?
Do I need points?
Do I advance the timing?

Cheers

Matt

Revelator
07-21-2014, 7:02 PM
Turn the Fuel petcock to On position.

farmall
07-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Describe problem in more detail.

Does the electric starter work and does the engine run properly after starting that way? Do you have spark?

Ignitions for electric start machines may have a delay to avoid kickback damage to the starter. If everything operates fine with the electric foot my reaction would be to install points.

There are appropriate electronic ignitions too, but for something as crude as my HDs I prefer points.

Damonmatty
07-22-2014, 12:18 AM
I forgot the friendly comedians that are on forums.

Yes it starts yes it has fuel and yes runs fine. Plenty of spark.

I am thinking of installing a new ignition system so that it has a kicker option

FredoSNR
07-22-2014, 12:24 AM
I am thinking of installing a new ignition system so that it has a kicker option

I'm not expert, but I would think if you are able to bump start your bike, you should be able to kick it over. Have you ever bumped it? How are you sure it turns over the motor? To test this, pull a plug and put a long drinking straw in there and kick it, does the straw move?

Damonmatty
07-22-2014, 6:27 AM
Hi fredsnr

That's a good idea.

I will let you know how it goes!

Matt

farmall
07-22-2014, 8:23 AM
Reason I asked about spark is possible delay. Since kicking and watching dangling plugs is a bitch, clamp two together with a hose clamp then connect plug wires.

Kick and observe for spark. How many rotations does it take for spark? I expect that will answer your question.

bparsel
07-22-2014, 11:09 AM
How about.........call Led Sled? Those guys fully stand behind the kicker kits and I'm sure will walk you through everything.

CRFyou
07-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Maybe you should retard your timing?

Advancing it to kick is the last thing you want to do. Retard to start, advance at idle.

75xlch
07-22-2014, 11:19 AM
is the key in the "on" position, don't hold the clutch in when you kick it either, the clutch should be left out and transmission should be in neutral. prime it and kick it, don't flood it just one maybe two twists of the throttle if even that, my 75 doesn't need a twist of the throttle so yours shouldnt

andri
07-22-2014, 4:27 PM
Not familiar with the ignition in your bike, but does it have a few dead revs before giving spark?
That would definetly affect kicking it to life. So do you get spark while kicking it over? That's the first thing to confirm. If you are getting spark while kicking, then it might be timing or other factors.

71butcher
07-22-2014, 5:10 PM
i remember someone saying something once about it not firing until the oil pressure came up. IE the light went out.
dunno my .02

Sky
07-22-2014, 5:54 PM
Nothing to do with the oil light
What year is the bike, Stock ignition too? Tip over sensor?
I bet Farmall is right, Your ignition probably has three dead revs before it starts sending a signal to the coil. It's programed that way so the starter motor has time to spin-up and avoid kick-back. Kick-back is bad for starter-clutches.
Dead-revs are bad for kick-starting.
If so
Points and a mechanical advance seem like your cheapest way out. But you'll need a points coil too
Next up the scale, Get a Dyna point replacement ignition, you'll need the mechanical advance assembly too.(dual fire) will match your ignition
After that just make sure the electronic ignition you find has a kick-start option. Or is pre-programed for kicking.

slam03
07-23-2014, 8:01 AM
I can't believe that the 1st thing you do is blame Led Sled kicker but you say ir kicks the motor over so that should tell you you that nothing is wrong with there kit and most of the time when you are adding s kick starter to a bike that didn't come with one you got to change ignition to one that allows kick start mode

53rigid
07-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Ah, the price we all pay to look cool. I hope you get it sorted out.....

leston
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM
So much work, just to do more work, to get the bike started.

SyndicateChoppers
07-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Sounds like you have an electronic ignition that does not spark on every revolution which will make kick starting an absolute bitch.
(Im just taking a stab in the dark at the above statement, I have no clue what kind of ignition evo bikes use I don't every work on them or build them, but that's what it sounds like to me)

also this sounds to me like the first kick start bike you have owned and there is a bit of a procedure to kick starting.
You need to do a few priming kicks with the ignition off. You cant just flip the ignition on and start kicking blindly and hope to hell the bike starts.

I would probably also call Led Sled and see what they say about installing that kit on your particular model and year bike and see what they say.