PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a different seat - tailbone misery

ContractKiller
07-20-2014, 6:54 PM
Long story short, about five years ago I broke my tailbone and it didn't heal right. It's actually deviated and for a long time I couldn't sit in a Lazy Boy recliner, let alone ride a motorcycle. Over time it's gotten better but I still have issues.

I've been rockin' a Biltwell solo seat for over a year and I gotta find a better seat. Not saying anything bad about the seat, it's awesome. It's just not for me. I'm hoping there are some others that have dealt with this kind of problem and can maybe recommend some other options.

I like the Scorpion seats from Drag, thought about something like that or a king n queen. I'd probably just pull the cover and add some sort of relief in the foam. I even thought about just building my own seat.

Thoughts?

7and7is
07-20-2014, 7:16 PM
I don't have the tail bone issue, but I do have a lower back issue, I find that wide seats are more comfy support the hips better, I got the seat pictured below from Jireh Cycle, it is an Ultima, real leather, 13" wide, I paid $45 for it 5 years ago, ran it with springs for a while, now it resides on a rubber bung, I can do 80 miles at a time with no problem, the "kick up" in the back is minimal so it shouldn't rub that tail bone to much, I think Lepera makes some solo's that are relatively flat also.

http://s19.postimg.org/rfotkl04z/rid_n_045.jpg

Philphine
07-20-2014, 7:35 PM
compleat guess at it, but there are seats for bicycles that have relief in the front for males. maybe you could find or make something similar with relief in the rear

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=split+bicycle+seat&FORM=HDRSC2

Beefdrippings
07-20-2014, 8:31 PM
Bars and foot controls can contribute to back pain as well. Forwards with apes CAN be hard on the back over the long run

ContractKiller
07-20-2014, 9:05 PM
Bars and foot controls can contribute to back pain as well. Forwards with apes CAN be hard on the back over the long run

And I run both. I don't ever have back pain, just in the tailbone. I tried a set of MX bars to see if that would help, maybe get me leaned forward a bit to take pressure off my tailbone. Helps a little, but eventually I feel it in my shoulders.

JMFNC
07-20-2014, 11:38 PM
I have the same problem. I dug a little on the net and found the suggestion of replacing the area of your buttcheeks with gelpad and cut out the area of your tailbone. I haven't done a long distance ride because I started a chain conversion and an oil tank swap. Seems real comfortable on what I have ridden. I bought my gelpad from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Gel-Pads-Gel-Cushions-Gel-Inserts/Motorcycle-Seat-Gel-Pads-/_i.html?_fsub=1818049013

farmall
07-21-2014, 10:00 AM
7and7is (Arthur Lee was incredible, good nick) nailed it.

That style seat works well. I run Bar Enterprises seat pans (same as pic below) recovered by a local upholstery shop. Mine were done long before gel packs were available so using modern foam+gel would be even better. They've held up perfectly for decades. As you can see from the bottom there ain't shit to them other than being strong so you could bend some scrap sheet and cut it out easily enough. (Fab shops often have "drops" they'll sell or give away and bending it for you takes mere minutes.)

I don't run rigids because I value my already trashed spine, but stock Shovel suspension is nearly useless so a good seat pays off.

I'd get a seat pan or a nasty-looking seat then recover it. Auto reupholstery shops can get excellent vinyl. (My reupholstered FXR seat has spent most of the time since the 1980s outdoors and other than some popped stitching is good to go.)

Pic for reference when the Ebay link goes away:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Bar-Enterprise-solo-seat-Triumph-Harley-bobber-chopper-Bates-Panhead-/121389937027?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c43677183&vxp=mtr

Wolfie
07-21-2014, 5:19 PM
I got spinal disk degeneration and 4 herniated disks....I modded a Yammy VStar Classic to mine and i love it...gave me more legroom too (Im 6'1")...this winter Im gonna add a Gelpad to it though, and i wanna re-cover it in brown leather....Its wide, and perfect fer my bony ass, lol...

Clockwork444
07-21-2014, 6:59 PM
i have a lepera cherokee which i love but with your tailbone issue, the step in the seat might be a problem....... if you ran a king and queen itd have to be one soft sucker

ContractKiller
07-21-2014, 9:32 PM
Yeah, I think with any seat I'm going to have to add some sort of relief to keep the pressure off. It sucks, but the alternative is to have the doc re-break and reset it. That's a level of pain I don't want to experience ever again.

Wolfie
07-22-2014, 6:32 PM
Just get it removed....ya dont really need it....its left over from monkeys.....Im gettin a loose rib removed this winter....its already killed my spleen and now is goin after my large intesrtine....I told em to cut it out when they took the spleen out....humans dont need that lil tail fer nuthin....just get it removed.....

WarHorse
07-22-2014, 7:11 PM
I ride a Drag Specialities scorpion. It's not a very wide seat, but there's plenty of padding on it, and the kick up in the back is sufficient for me. I don't have any tailbone issues, but the seat I had before was thin and fairly hard, and my lower back was sore as hell after 100 miles. The scorpion is far better.

Clockwork444
07-22-2014, 7:12 PM
my girlfriend broke her tailbone in her teenage years. she healed up properly and she can ride on the bike for a whole day without complaining. however it does keep her from snowboarding or riding on a hard tail ever. she feels your pain