PDA

View Full Version : Loading bike in pickup bed....what do you use?

bparsel
07-17-2014, 2:08 PM
Yeah yeah....they're meant to be ridden. I have a great little trailer to pick up bikes with, I also drive a truck. I would really prefer to just put the bikes in the bed of the truck when I have to.

What ramps have you guys used or techniques for loading? I always pick up bikes by myself and could do the truck bed if there was a ditch ....but that's not always an option. I've checked out harbor freight but some of those ramps seem a little janky for a full size HD.

iHaQtiv8
07-17-2014, 2:32 PM
I back up to a hill, or if really in a pinch, use the tailgate off the truck as a ramp. Then again, I'm the sort of 'necessity is the mother of invention' type.

farmall
07-17-2014, 3:37 PM
I use a section of mobile home frame for a ramp, and I also have a school bus bumper with the ends trimmed off to make a channel. I have a hunk of angle iron on one end forming a T for stability on the bus bumper. For loading heavy items which flex lighter ramps you can use a hunk of wood chocked under the ramp for stability.

Having two ramps lets one person walk up one of them where useful and of course load items with four wheels such as mowers.

If I picked up motorcycles frequently I'd extend the platform on my liftgate. Hinged platform extensions are common for loading bulky items. The stock Tommy Gate platform fit my BMW R65 semi-sideways and left enough room to spin it on the centerstand to point it into the bed.

If you own a shop or want to easily haul things like auto engines etc. liftgates are insanely nice to have. I should have scored one 20 years ago BEFORE I fucked up my back. They are worth their weight in young cunt lips. Many people don't know they only need one power connection, and you can run them off a jump pack etc if you are lazy and haven't finished the truck wiring....

The gates serve as bed extensions when opened and the opened gate is a handy workbench. Ain't shit to installation but do put on lifting eyelets. Also ensure the installed gate doesn't block spare tire access. It's easy to change how spares are secured. I removed the cable abortion on my F150 and will use a bracket with a retainer and nut I scrounged from salvage. Ain't shit to make one or the spare can sit in the bed.

Here's my install thread with bracket and handling info:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/888121-how-to-install-a-used-tommy-gate-liftgate.html

Worth mentioning is that when rollback operators pick motorcycles they use devices like these. Don't buy one, make one. You could integrate a shoe as shown as a slider into a stable ramp which wouldn't tip sideways then winch your bikes aboard. Experimenting would be easy enough.

http://www.zips.com/Store_Detail.aspx?PROD=21-5&CAT=652

I'm not that motivated yet but do have an appropriately bed-mounted winch. This was inspired by a lighter one on Weldingweb the maker used to load ATVs. You don't need a Ramsay commercial unit but this style is common and overkill rocks. It weighs a good bit so if you just load bikes/movers/ATVs you may not want to go this far.

499214992249923 Green dots indicate where I welded hunks of truck axle to the mount which sit in my stake pockets. I've winched pickup trucks on trailers easily with this setup. Red dot shows ammo can control box with winch noids separated for easy troubleshooting and smacking when they eventually get old and stick. Since controls are built onto the lid rather than buried in the box it's super easy to work on and you can walk off with the lid to wrench it elsewhere. I've not needed to but this addresses the annoying part about electric winch controls. You can connect a winch pendant to these if you like but I don't need one in this application. If I were winching bikes aboard I'd add one.

http://www.zips.com/Store_Detail.aspx?PROD=21-5&CAT=652

Ramzilla
07-17-2014, 3:58 PM
I have something like this. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/reesereg%3B-farm--ranch-single-tri-fold-aluminum-ramp-45-in-w-x-69-in-l?cm_vc=-10005
Not sure if it's this exact model but it's a super light tri-fold ramp that works great with enough room to walk up beside the bike.

Cory
07-17-2014, 4:06 PM
I seem to have to load up a bike more often then I'd like, so I finally made some ultimate ramps. Go pick up two 2x12's and two pieces of 1/4" plate steel 10"W x 12"L put a bend in the plate so once its bolted (carriage head bolts) to the wood it will sit flat on the tail gate. Then I covered them both in stucco wire. They're hell on the hands but they are completely bullet proof. The extra length makes them handy for one person loading. The bikes won't bottom out as easy, especially if you pull the truck in a ditch to get less angle. They're so stout I can easily load my quad with them.

LoudFastThrash
07-17-2014, 4:18 PM
A hill if possible, if not, two buddies to help and hand load it. Two guys lift the front onto the gate. Third gets in and holds the front, other two grab either side of the swingarm and lift it in. Obviously make sure it's in neutral.

BuddhahoodVato
07-17-2014, 4:38 PM
Guess your handle sums it up, Farmall. Nifty

SuperP
07-17-2014, 4:46 PM
I used a pair of the aluminum ramps. One centered on the tailgate, the other offset for me to walk on next to the bike. Tiedowns attached to the bed and to the ramps so they didn't move or fall. Truck backed up to an incline to reduce the angle. 1 friend to help me push/stabilize the bike.

Wingnut89
07-17-2014, 5:16 PM
Like most individuals with testicular elephantitis, I load my bike into my truck like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDWQWSySRM

offbeat
07-17-2014, 10:23 PM
My beater truck is lowered quite a bit and doesn't have a tailgate or bumper. The bed is about knee height, makes it super easy to get stuff in and out haha. Harbor freight sells these things that bolt in the bed and lock your wheel in. I just use ratcheting straps right now.

bparsel
07-18-2014, 6:07 AM
I have something like this. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/reesereg%3B-farm--ranch-single-tri-fold-aluminum-ramp-45-in-w-x-69-in-l?cm_vc=-10005
Not sure if it's this exact model but it's a super light tri-fold ramp that works great with enough room to walk up beside the bike.

This is the route I will probably go with, I just worry about getting hung up as one of my bikes sits LOW.

Some of you guys build some crazy shit. Farmall especially I feel like will do real well if the world ever goes MAD MAX.

ScarTissue
07-18-2014, 6:26 AM
The one time I've done this I had my buddy park his 8" lifted F150 next to a hill and rode it into the bed on a 2x6... that was sketchy.

24Cycles
07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
discount ramp company arched folding ramp rated to 1500 lbs. That is the shop ramp and it can handle anything. Use the proper tool for the job and you wont damage the bike your truck or most important the loader.
Farmell your post count is amazing in a years time haha

shiftace
07-18-2014, 1:10 PM
I use a tri-fold aluminum ramp for quads. Folds small enough to hide, works well enough to never let me down.

53Bash
07-18-2014, 8:12 PM
After a few loads where I dented the pipes on the lip of the pickup bed and had to muscle past the 50/50, I went and got a couple 14" 2x12's and a ramp end kit. The 2x12's need some re-enforcing to prevent sag, and something to hold them against each other, but that should be easy to rig up (I have a shitload of 1.5"x.125 metal bar stock from a project I did). Worked kinda sorta OK just tying the two boards side by side. Main key is just that the resulting ramp is really long, so it is shallow enough that the push up is a one man job, and the bump at the top won't hit the pipes.

Philphine
07-19-2014, 11:57 AM
ditch in the front yard for me. so far i've only had to take my big bike to the shop, so once i'm there they have ramps and help to get it down. i have some ramps, but i've only used them once when i brought a smaller bike (vlx600). the seller had a incline in his yard so the ramp was more like a bridge instead of an incline.

Wolfchop
07-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Apple martini lube and viberator ring

JamesM
07-20-2014, 12:04 AM
I ended up breaking down and buying this really nice aluminum ramp that's about 6' long from a dirt bike store for $100. Can load bikes up on flat ground by myself easily.