PDA

View Full Version : Need road trip route advice! Kansas, Colorado, Utah

JBW5
07-17-2014, 9:20 AM
I am about to embark on a journey that has been in my head for some time now. I will be leaving from the Ouachitas of Arkansas, making a stop in Vail Colorado to visit a friend and ultimately riding over to Utah for a few days of Speed Week. Other than road tripping up into Colorado a few times I am very unfamiliar with this territory. I don't wanna cruise interstate the whole way. I will be taking a couple of days for each leg of the journey so I am reaching out to the ChopCult community for route advice. I wanna see some of back roads and scenic drives through these parts of the country! I'll be camping along the way so maybe some cool spot you guys know of to pitch a tent? Although I have camped in some pretty interesting(sketchy) places so that's not a huge concern of mine. Also I don't necessarily have to come back through Vail. Anyhow I really hope to stir some interest here! Oh yea I forgot to mention I'll be doing all of this on a 36 year old bike! ;)

DaNgER556
07-17-2014, 9:41 AM
Oh man. That's where I grew up. My dad was operations manager for Pikes Peak Highway.

I can give you a bunch of great places to head to. I for sure would stay off I25 Whenever possible.

DaNgER556
07-17-2014, 9:59 AM
Any way you can include Colorado springs into it? Hit Highway 115 west to Canon City, definitely worth a stop. That's a cool little town.

Highway 9 runs from canon city almost to vail. Breckenridge Im almost positive it goes straight there.

That whole road is gonna be really cool. Great for riding. I could make some calls and get you hooked up with some drinkin buddies in Canon, or a place to crash.

XbrooklynX
07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Once you get into WY riding on i-80 is actually a pretty good ride. You get really high up right outside of Cheyenne, a large climb up to about 9000 feet. Then back down is really fun. Pretty boring after that until Evanston. Between Evanston and SLC is fun too lots of canyons and swoops. The ride from slc to bonneville is an aweful 90mile straight road with a shit load of bugs smashing on you.

303Eric
07-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Look up Million Dollar Highway.. its in Southern CO It considered by most one of the top ten best rides in the world!

DaNgER556
07-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Look up Million Dollar Highway.. its in Southern CO It considered by most one of the top ten best rides in the world!

Ya I drive that road everytime I come from Fla.

Its pretty badass.

scuzzy
07-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Make sure your bikes squared away man, i had a few brake downs due to me not putting enough matinence, go through and hit every but and bolt with a wrench and loctite. Pack light. At first I brought way to much clothing, 3 sets is all you need used them twice and do a wash. 1 extra of skivies socks, and take a pair of shorts so you can wash everything at once. Extra gas is a must. Don't forget it. I would have been fucked if I didn't bring any bottles. I'm currently going to Washington from Texas so I'm in the middle of mine.

sledhooligan
07-19-2014, 9:10 AM
I'm from north western Colorado. A few routes to Vail I'd think about is head to Pueblo to Canon City and take hiway 9 over Hooser Pass It'll drop you into Breck then take I-70 to Vail. Another way is Pueblo to Canon City hiway 50 to Salida then 285 to BV up to Leadville on 24 drops into Minturn hook a right on I-70 and you're in Vail (this is the way I'd go). Another way to go is head to Leadville and take a right on 91 this will take you past the Climax mine and drop you into Copper Mtn.
From Vail you could head to Grand Jct on I-70 to 191 in Utah to SLC. Back track to Silverthorne take 9 north to Kremtucky then 40 across Rabbit Ears pass in to Steamboat then into Craig merica (My home town) Stay on 40 into Utah to Heber City then up to SLC. Another route a little more off the beaten path is. Vail to Wolcott north on 131 to Oak Creek left on Twenty Mile rd to Hayden then 40 into SLC (this is a nice ride the turn for Twenty mile is just on the north side of Oak Creek at the county shop.

DaNgER556
07-19-2014, 9:46 AM
Those are all good routes. Personally I would go Highway 9 out of Canon. That's a cool drive.

JBW5
07-22-2014, 9:12 AM
This is some awesome input fellas! Im thinking I will go the Kansas route on my way there and then down through Colorado on my way back. I'd love to meet up with some fellow chopculters. Anyone know of any rides going out to The flats or anything going on worth seeing while I'm there? Thanks again!