PDA

View Full Version : Hard tailing a 2013 sporty and have a few questions

TJxC517
07-16-2014, 2:33 PM
So I'm hard tailing my sporty and I wanted to hear some opinions on some things. I'm not sure whether I should go with the David bird weld on hardtail kit or go and pay the 1300 for a new paughco frame? Also what stretch should I do? 2in or 4in? I'm a 20 year old kid who's new to the game of doing custom work so any help is appreciated.

paulw
07-16-2014, 3:20 PM
Your going to have to hide all the efi wires somewhere, your going to have to deal with the rubbermounted engine and what type of exhaust your doing. It was a little tricky on my bike. If you get a Paughco frame then you cant use your old vin number unless your swap necks. I did a 4 inch stretch on my 04 sportster and it fits me pretty well. I started my bike when I was 19 and I learned a shit load. Have fun!

nofendertom
07-16-2014, 3:55 PM
go with the weld on hardtail so it will be registered as a sportster--the 4in stretch will give you
a nice line from the steering head to the rear axle--check out the bikes pictured in the sportster
forum.

farmall
07-16-2014, 4:00 PM
Being ya are in Jersey you can accumulate the parts and make a plan, enjoy the rest of the riding season, then work on your ride when the weather turns to shit.

A digital camera or a good phone camera along with factory service manual and parts book are necessities.

Clockwork444
07-16-2014, 6:09 PM
i have no idea why everyone is chopping new bikes. they havent changed the sportster much since 2004...... i would sell the 2013 to some chick or something, buy a bike about 8 years older, and chop that. then you'll have money for all the cool stuff like that paughco frame you want. just my .02

SyndicateChoppers
07-16-2014, 7:20 PM
i have no idea why everyone is chopping new bikes. they havent changed the sportster much since 2004...... i would sell the 2013 to some chick or something, buy a bike about 8 years older, and chop that. then you'll have money for all the cool stuff like that paughco frame you want. just my .02

I would agree with the above statement
sell the bike and take the money and buy something older that you can modify
the rubber mount sportster platform is not the easiest to work with and the weld on "pre made kits" out there are god awful ugly and will make your bike look worse and really kill the re sale value on it.
On top of that the EFI harness is tremendous and very hard to hide and a pain in the ass to start removing stuff from.
If you want the reliability of an evo drivetrain compared to an older drivetrain buy an early pre rubber mount evo sportster that is a carb motor and have a hardtail from 47 Industries in Raritan, NJ installed or buy his kit and install it yourself (to my eye he makes one of the nicest looking ones out there for the evo frame and Ive built a bike off that frame platform and the fit and finish was spot on )
And build off that platform instead at least you will not be killing the value on a bike that way.

if the bike is a 2013 it has to have somewhat of a decent resale value on it

just my opinion

JamesM
07-16-2014, 7:29 PM
x3 on sell it and look for an older Sporty.

joe78
07-16-2014, 8:36 PM
Pm'd

leston
07-17-2014, 9:05 AM
Sell it, buy a 1990-03 and chop the thing up. No regrets. No efi. A lot more money to spend.

slimpickins
07-17-2014, 9:17 AM
While selling the 2013 and going with a pre-rubbermount model would most definitely be the cheapest and easiest route to take (especially if its your first chop), chopping a rubbermounted EFI sporty is not as impossible as folks make it sound. Out of your two options the weld on hardtail would be the easiest. I have 2 inch stretch on mine and had plenty of room to hide everything that needed to be hidden. 4 inches would definitely leave you with options.
Good luck on your choppering!

Clockwork444
07-17-2014, 2:43 PM
ya im not saying it cant be done ive seen some nice EFI sporty chops but i just think its easier on the wallet to sell that bike it is almost new and holds its value. you can buy a decent low(er) mileage ridgid evo sporty and do it up, and probably still come out ahead $$$ wise

slimpickins
07-17-2014, 3:02 PM
ya im not saying it cant be done ive seen some nice EFI sporty chops but i just think its easier on the wallet to sell that bike it is almost new and holds its value. you can buy a decent low(er) mileage ridgid evo sporty and do it up, and probably still come out ahead $$$ wise

Speaking from experiance, it is defintely cheaper LOL.

whitesunglasses13
07-17-2014, 8:37 PM
I have an 07 sportster i planning on chopping pretty soon here. I tried selling my bike for something older, but everything older runs about the same as my asking price haha. Based on craigslist research, sportsters in this area seem to all run about the same price. An efi can be bought about the same price as a carbed sportster. Would I be losing or saving money any way by chopping my current bike? Also, when choosing a weld on hardtail....does the 2'' or 4'' stretch matter when it comes to putting the battery between the frame and rear wheel?

kboschphotos
07-17-2014, 8:44 PM
i got a 013 883 i got hardtailed bye slim from slimsfab
2 inch stretch and 2 inch drop its rad! i hid all my efi cables etc inside the oil box he made me
check my profile i posted a thread

whitesunglasses13
07-17-2014, 9:27 PM
love the paint job dude! Did you have to get a smaller battery to fit in there?

kboschphotos
07-19-2014, 9:45 PM
my battery tray is infront of back wheel cause my 2 inch stretch it fits there if you do no stretch you can do it on side of ur hardtail etc