PDA

View Full Version : S & S P and SH Series Engines...Easy to kickstart

GeeRock
07-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Hey Guys, I can get a good deal on a 93 inch S &S Pan brand new with ignition and carb. It would be going in my kick only rigid.

Anyone know if they start decent on the kicker?

I have a fresh 80 inch Evo in there now and It's a 3 or 4 kicker cold and 1 kick warm.

Hoping someone has experience with the S & S stuff.

Thanks,

SyndicateChoppers
07-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Any bike is easy to kickstart given that they do not have some monster compression ratio and the bike is in good tune and good functioning order (properly working ignition system, no intake leaks, good compression in the cylinders, carb jetted and adjusted properly etc etc.) a certain kind of motor is no easier to start than the next

GeeRock
07-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Truth. Thanks! I was more wondering how the ignitions are set up, as they don't allow you to touch them and keep your warranty(tamper proof seal) and how close the jetting is when they come.

CRFyou
07-15-2014, 11:04 AM
My old pan kicks much more reliably than some newer alternator shovels.

It's all about the carb and timing.

And of course no mechanically lame shit seen above... Intake leaks, pushrod adjustment, plug gap, coil, solid wiring, etc.

GeeRock
07-15-2014, 4:03 PM
That Pan is bad ass by the way, and Syndicate, you're killing it as well. Almost every older 74 or 80 inch Pan, and shovel I've kicked has been pretty easy to start. Just seems like the bikes I've had(have) and the ones buddies have that have more compression and electronic ignitions(besides the dyna points replacement) are a bit more finicky.

Fuck It. I'm overthinking this. Once I get the sequence it'll be good, just like my shov and the evo that's in that bike now.

Thanks fellas.

SyndicateChoppers
07-15-2014, 8:21 PM
That Pan is bad ass by the way, and Syndicate, you're killing it as well. Almost every older 74 or 80 inch Pan, and shovel I've kicked has been pretty easy to start. Just seems like the bikes I've had(have) and the ones buddies have that have more compression and electronic ignitions(besides the dyna points replacement) are a bit more finicky.

Fuck It. I'm overthinking this. Once I get the sequence it'll be good, just like my shov and the evo that's in that bike now.

Thanks fellas.

thanks man
I would honestly spend the money on an OEM panhead motor first
not saying that there is anything wrong with the S&S but in my eyes and most other peoples eyes they are not "real" panheads and building a bike with special construction titles sucks and kills the value on them.
for the money you spend on an s&s motor you can buy a good panhead donor motor and have a nice rebuild done to it.

For ignition on those stick with the manual timer
they are super easy to set and maintain and all my bikes that have them are 1-3 kick bikes everywhere I go with them

Just my advise as I try and look down the road on the value of the bikes after they are built as well (unfortunately we cant keep them all and they are worth a lot more with OEM motors still titled as early Harleys)

GeeRock
07-16-2014, 7:04 AM
All good points. I'm in SK, Canada so our titling and stuff works different. There isn't actually a title, just a registration and that go's by frame or engine depending on how you do it.

That said you're right about the "not a Harley motor" thing. I think I've said that myself. What I like is the reliability aspect of them for a daily ridden bike, as I am building this one to keep for my self.

I'm not sure what I'll do but leaning towards keeping the search going for an original.

Thanks,