PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage issue.

rjwatters38
07-14-2014, 7:05 PM
Bike was running funky today, acted like it was out of gas and had at least half a gallon in it. was thinking maybe the reserve was clogged or something. Filled it up and it ran fine. took it out for a little ride, not super hard, but i was riding pretty quick. did a loop and topped it off. Went home and did the mileage on google maps and mathed out the MPG to find the bike getting @ or around 30mpg.

Seems pretty damn low for a sporty. I know my exhaust is restricted (supertrapp, see other post for that) and ordered an open end cap today from summit that should be here in a couple days. Would that be enough to fuck up my MPG so bad? I'm gonna burn up some of this tank and check again to be sure, but what could it be otherwise? timing or a carb issue? I've yet to rebuild the super E, but was waiting to see if I needed to rejet after opening up the exhaust before tearing it down.

any other opinions? I checked plugs today and they were pretty clean. a little sooty but not wet and not burning, new plugs and the white shits still white.

thanks internet friends (and people who don't like me but still want to help)

DirtyFilthyCustoms
07-14-2014, 7:54 PM
Might have been a bad batch of fuel. A couple weeks a go I burned through a tank in less millage then I normally do. I'm getting 43mpg back and forward to work but 63mpg on freeway runs. I was thinking I must have just gotten a bad batch of fuel as well.

Sky
07-15-2014, 3:56 AM
Super Es are thirsty carbs. Especially during "spirited" riding.
That accelerator pump and and the midrange circuit overlap.

xllance
07-15-2014, 6:19 AM
Needle may not be seating in the carb. Drop the bowl and do some cleaning. See if it helps. Try a new set of plugs. Do the easy stuff first.