PDA

View Full Version : hardtail 101.. help!

Twinkies
04-19-2010, 5:09 PM
ok, so Im running into a couple problems.. heres the biggest one.
My factory swingarm was the square boxy tubing type..
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/mightywhitey17/jankster%20build/janksterbuild056.jpg

Using the factory spacers.. this is what my new axle plate will look like on the drive chain side.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/mightywhitey17/jankster%20build/janksterbuild054.jpg

I guess at this point I have two options...

1)Cut down/ re thread axle bolt to fit. Id also have to angle my tubing inward from the frame to meet the axle plates a couple inches on each side. This will make welding the tubing to the axle plates a little more of a challenge. And it seems my frame will be pretty close to the drive chain.

2)Have some spacers made... the downside here is cosmetics.. the axle is about 12" long.. wheel sprocket to brake hub is about 9.5"..

thanks for any suggestions! If this has already been covered.. link me up

Punkskalar
04-19-2010, 5:42 PM
You'll want that chain clearance, trust me.. New spacers = good

Twinkies
04-19-2010, 6:29 PM
You'll want that chain clearance, trust me.. New spacers = good

thanks..
I was leaning towards option #2.. and now that I think about it I can probably just make some spacers out of the extra tubing I have...

Creedmore
04-19-2010, 6:42 PM
I have used the square swing arm instead of using axle plates. I fabbed up a jig to hold the swing arm so it was straight with the frame and made lower tubes and the upper tubes, then tacked it all together. With it all tacked together I cut the swing arm off the axle ajustment section.

Twinkies
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I have used the square swing arm instead of using axle plates. I fabbed up a jig to hold the swing arm so it was straight with the frame and made lower tubes and the upper tubes, then tacked it all together. With it all tacked together I cut the swing arm off the axle ajustment section.

cool.. thats one way to do it.. you have any pics of it?

Creedmore
04-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I think I have a pic some where of the finshed bike. Let me see if I can find it.

Frankenfab
04-20-2010, 2:26 PM
New spacers for sure. I agree with above, that spacing will not do.

I would do whatever possible to avoid using that swingarm as well.

Creedmore
04-25-2010, 8:06 PM
Sorry Twinkies I haven't found my pic's of the bike. I have put them somewhere, must be a bad case of CRS.

Blackjack
04-26-2010, 6:30 AM
9 1/2" for the hub.

What? 3/8" for each axle plate? Makes another 3/4" so 10 1/4".

You need adjusters on the axle plates. those are going to use up a least a 1/4" each, so that's 10 3/4" total.

Leaves you needing an extra 5/8" each side.

Don't use tube it'll fit like shit and there's not a lot of clamping area, get the original spacers copied but 5/8", or whatever, longer.

Blackjack
04-26-2010, 6:34 AM
You might find this useful...

http://www.thefont.info/technobabble/Main.html

Bottom one, about the Z400.

Twinkies
04-26-2010, 1:32 PM
9 1/2" for the hub.

What? 3/8" for each axle plate? Makes another 3/4" so 10 1/4".

You need adjusters on the axle plates. those are going to use up a least a 1/4" each, so that's 10 3/4" total.

Leaves you needing an extra 5/8" each side.

Don't use tube it'll fit like shit and there's not a lot of clamping area, get the original spacers copied but 5/8", or whatever, longer.

The tubing is thick walled stuff, about the same diameter as the factory spacers.
I drilled out some thick washers that will be welded to the ends of the tubing to keep it
centered on the axle. Im pretty confident this will look and fit great, but if not Ill just take a trip to the local machine shop.. thanks.