PDA

View Full Version : Exauhst stud broke HELP!

scuzzy
07-11-2014, 2:41 PM
49752Hey fellas, as the title says. My shit broke and I need to remove it. Shitty part is I'm 1000 miles from home limited tools and resources.

Front cylinder first stud. Thee worst damn one.

I might have to pull the cylinder to get it machined out. What are my options before goi g to that extreme?

I'm in Ventura county CA any help is good help.

The stud isn't as far down as I thought. You fellas think that's enough to try welding a differing bolt on the end and pulling it out ?

DollaBill
07-11-2014, 3:54 PM
I'd try to find someone to weld a nut to the stud and see if it'll come out. But it is snapped pretty deep so I'm not sure it'll work or not.

StrawbellyJam
07-11-2014, 4:12 PM
You might be able to drill it out and use a bolt extractor.

farmall
07-11-2014, 4:13 PM
Welding in place is rather likely to fuck it up and create more work. Angle precludes a straight shot with a hand drill.

Yanking a head isn't extreme, just exasperating. If it were mine I'd yank the head if I had time, and if I lacked the tools I'd buy 'em and they'd join the rest of my roadbag. (I already carry enough to pull heads, and that ain't much.) A cheap deflecting beam torque wrench is fine but I've done 'em by feel in a pinch.

Trouble is if you pull the head and break a cylinder stud you are now truly fucked.

I anti-seize most of my hardware and ALL my exhaust hardware when I disturb it.

I like puzzles so I walked out to my FXR with safety wire and pliers (you don't need safety-wire pliers as you can easily do it with standard pliers and sidecutters) to contemplate the problem. When I loop a double-twisted strand over a couple of the small fins forward of the spark plug I can run the wire to the stud area such that it could be looped through the hole then twisted to add preload. You'd have some exhaust leakage but there would be some support.

You could run a worm drive hose clamp around your pipe and wire that to the area(s) of your choice for additional support. So what if the result resembles a spider web if it works. Remember to double the wire as single-strand ain't enough.

If you haven't safety-wired before, remember the twisted wire gives strength and the ability to preload the fastener or object you are wiring. The twists you apply to the final end are what load the item.

Note the technique, and remember wire is expendable so it's fine to redo it for best results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktwpWPFvHs

60andpregnant
07-11-2014, 4:24 PM
With it being broken off that deep and not having a lot of tools, I would try to limp it to an auto parts store and see if they will let you use an electric drill (if you can get a drill in that space). Buy one of their stud extractor kits and drill it out, you might need to hit it with some localized heat so you could also buy a small propane or butane torch from the parts store and heat it up as best as you can. The propane or butane flames won't be as hot or as ideal as an oxy/acetaline flame but you might be able to keep a small flame on the stud enough to loosen it up. After that just buy a bolt to replace the stud and use anti seize until you can put a new stud in. That's what I would do.

farmall
07-11-2014, 5:10 PM
OP didn't post his model for some mysterious reason but the frame downtube normally blocks a straight shot with a drill bit.

Depending on how the bike is set up and what parts are available it may be expedient to unbolt the engine and tilt it for access rather than yank a cylinder head. Done that more than once since time is cheaper than parts and less internal engine disturbance is a good thing.

For example on a big twin with a belt primary there isn't much to disconnect. It still sucks but the situation dictates yer options.

Davestune
07-11-2014, 6:24 PM
dont drill it out on the fucking road. lets skip the fucking bullshit
just get some wire and twist it up, been there done that. the only thing the on the road shit is going to do is fuck your head up.
wrap it around the pipe........

Hyde802
07-11-2014, 6:44 PM
You mentioned welding, so there must be some sort of a shop around that you have access to? If you can fix it right on the road, sure, but dont hack it. And if you dont have a place to work on it, then get home, pull the head and fix it right.

Bdehlin
07-11-2014, 6:50 PM
Wire it up, and take it to a shop. It's not worth damaging the head because you tried to drill it out in an auto parts store parking lot to try to save a few bucks. Limp it someplace for the night, and start calling around first thing in the morning for someone to fix it properly. The last thing you want 1000 miles from is to fuck it up further.

Cisco726
07-11-2014, 7:13 PM
I would agree that getting it home if you can would be best and get one of those jims exhaust stud drill plates.

scuzzy
07-11-2014, 11:39 PM
I didn't post the model sorry about that fellas.

02 sportster.

So here are my thoughts. I have a fella out here that can weld but doesn't have much in the way of tools. What I do have in tools I may be able to to squeeze by with pulling the head. As of yet I am still riding it around I just bunggied it to the frame as best as I could so it don't fall off. I have no issue limping home but I'm just not sure if it'll really fuck shit up. I need to do engine work on it anyway. Lucky for me its in the same jug. When I pull my front plug there is some oil on it. So time for gbigger rings. It has about 29kmiles that I know of. So if I pull the heads I want to just bump it to a 1200 and be good to go for a other 30k miles. But if I do that my brake down budget is just about dry and if anything else went wrong I'm fucked.I priced out a new 1200 kit and came to 591.xx jugs pist rings gaskets. To do the conversion. I'd just need sockets and a torq wrench and basic hand tools?

What you guys think. I'm at a cross roads.

Cisco726
07-13-2014, 1:44 AM
Same thing happened to me and it ended up costing me $700. Looking back I wish I would've done the conversion instead. It would've been cheaper and I would've had a bigger pair of balls on the bike. I'd say do the conversion, but also research if there's more to it than that. From what I've read I believe to get the most out of the conversion you have to change the gears as well. Like I said though, research a bit before you do that.

farmall
07-13-2014, 8:07 AM
You ain't gonna hurt anything limping home so long as the pipe is decently supported (hence my suggestion to wire it) and as long as most of your breakdown budget stays in your pocket you can cover anything else which pops up.

As for using a little oil on the road, so what if the engine will get torn down later? I run mine until they smoke or foul plugs to where it's annoying since the same parts get replaced anyway.

Keep the main emergency money for shit like truck rental if something else happens.

When you get home you can pull the head etc and you'll have practice to attack such problems in the future.

humancertainty
07-14-2014, 11:16 AM
My '02 Sporty is holding with one exhaust bolt on the same port. You should be able to make 1000 miles on the one.

Cisco726
07-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Don't leave it like that too long though, that's what happened to mine and it basically "sand blasted" the inside of the head. I had to replace the damn thing. Also cause the stud got all fuckered up in it and it was easier and cheaper to get a used head.