PDA

View Full Version : Custom paint, and tank gas filler = peeling paint. Whats the trick?

WhiteFox
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
I've painted a few custom tanks using urethane clear and they always peel around the filler neck. I tape the neck off all round the sides and leave the top of it bare metal. It all gets primed, painted then cleared. I've even tried smoothing the neck with bodyfiller so gas won't seep into the little crevice. Still peels.

What is the trick to stopping this?

BullyGuns
07-11-2014, 4:30 PM
A couple of things. First, the gas isn't necessarily seeping. Often its the vapors from the gas that get collected in the filler and then pool creating issues. So, keep the filler as low down on the bung as far as possible. Second, you can pass some 2K clear around the top of the filler neck to seal it from creeping vapors or you can use a good clear nail polish to do the same thing. Just a swipe around the top and let it dry completely. Good luck.
C

UNKLian
07-13-2014, 8:07 PM
Some guys don't paint all the way to the top of the neck.
Supposed to avoid this problem.

JamesM
07-13-2014, 8:09 PM
Some guys don't paint all the way to the top of the neck.
Supposed to avoid this problem.

This is what I do.

Revelator
07-13-2014, 9:11 PM
i have used the nail polish trick before with good results.

HardlyDangerous
07-14-2014, 5:21 PM
Get a tube of SealAll at your local auto parts store. Paint a bead of it on around the top edge of your paint. Problem solved.

RoperDKC
07-16-2014, 8:38 AM
I've used two part epoxy diluted with rubbing alcohol and brushed it on the seam of paint/clear twice now with no issues at all. Knock on wood.

Pyrokustoms
07-17-2014, 5:14 PM
Clear fingernail polish...tape the inside of filler before paint or primer, cut the top edge of filler with razor blade after painting, paint the fresh cut edge with polish. 14+ years painting tanks, no peeling.

OhioFlameThrower
07-19-2014, 7:32 PM
Do not paint clear to the top (end the paint 1/8" below the top), seal the paint edge with either Seal All or a bit of catalyzed clearcoat or clear nail polish using a fine artist's brush. Problem solved!

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
ftcustoms (Instagram)