PDA

View Full Version : Multimeter and charging diagnostic questions.

JBW5
07-08-2014, 8:57 AM
I finally got my 78 cb750k on the road and am shaking out the bugs. The biggest issue I'm having is the bike wont charge the battery. When I run the headlight for any substantial amount of time, it kills the bike. I rewired this entire bike and it starts and runs great. The charging system is essentially alternator-regulator-rectifier-battery. My question is how can I begin to test these things with my multimeter? I have zero experience using a multimeter.... Any help is appreciated! Thanks chopcult!

siamesegun
07-08-2014, 9:23 AM
http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/troubleshooting_charging_system/troubleshooting_charging_system.pdf

Try that document, it's good info on performing resistance, output, and continuity tests on your electrical system.

Keep us posted on your efforts.

JBW5
07-08-2014, 10:46 AM
That's a nice little write up! Much appreciated! I'll keep y'all posted! Waiting on a new oil pan to come in the mail before I do this diagnostics!

JBW5
07-11-2014, 9:31 AM
So I was working on some wire cleanup and realized my white wire and green wire on my regulator had become disconnected! Hooked everything back up and she's charging like a champ!