PDA

View Full Version : Getting a custom K/Q seat made?

dozen
07-07-2014, 9:52 AM
So I hard tailed my Sporty this past winter and I want a King/Queen seat to throw on there. I think because it's a David Bird weld-on it's gonna look best with a custom job in order to work with the large triangle area below the tank. How should I best go about finding one or getting one made (without spending a ton)?

http://i.imgur.com/nDLr4ut.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FbQv57W.jpg

boomboomthump
07-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Not exactly an answer to your question but related...

Before you move forward with a K/Q, I would rethink that sissy bar positioning. The angle is far too "laid-back" IMHO. That's going to put a lot more leverage on those two bolts holding it the fender. It looks to be 1/2" round rod as well. Even with 5/8" material, the angle is still a concern. I wouldn't put anyone on that.

Edit--

I'm assuming here since you want a K/Q, that you would be putting a passenger on it.

dozen
07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Weeeeeell, the primary reason I put a sissy bar on at all was to strap stuff to it (camping gear, etc). I wanted the bar to be nearly parallel to the front fork, plus that extra lean back would allow stuff to be strapped while my gf rode with me. Made sense in my head. That said, yeah, I've thought about it since and may move it forward depending on the seat I end up with.

Salty
07-07-2014, 10:56 AM
There are a number of motorcycle seat specific upholsterers all over the country, hell the world even.

Ginger at www.newchurchmoto.com does amazing work, but im sure its pricey and there is probably a waiting list.
Shreddie was posting photos of custom K&Q's he and a friend were making... same thing on cost and wait time im sure....

Shay at Lark Machine CO near the bay area in Ca. does reasonable priced seat also... Just look around or make it yourself.

But if you can make the seat pan and give any upholsterer the specifics of what you want you could theoretically get a seat covered in just about any small town USA.

Ember
07-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Any tools at your disposal? Can you fabricate yourself?
Only real way to do it correctly is to have the bike in front of you to make the seat pan. You can make a template with cardboard or just about anything. Many ways to go about it. Then once you have the template, have the pan made by someone or DIY. Once the pan is made you can have someone wrap it for you. Otherwise it will be a generic seat for you.

bobberadam
07-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I would highly recommend ginger at new church moto, Plus she is local to me. Some of the work i have seen is amazing.