PDA

View Full Version : Marine Switch Causing no spark???

bkull1234
07-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Hey guys I made a thread the other day about a no spark issue im having. And I heard somewhere on another forum that it may be the turn key marine starter switch im using. I got it from tc bros. It has a bunch of terminals. The normal acc. bat. and start. But it also has a choke and two magneto/ off terminals. I have the switch wired like a normal stock switch... With my starter wire obviously going to it rather than to a separate switch. But what about the other terminals???? Do they need to be used? Could this be causing absolutely no spark??? :banghead: Please help!

Revelator
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Find a Continuity tester (buy one if you do not have one, they are cheap)
& test each switch position to find out which
switch contacts are closing, or use a test light & try all of the contacts
until you find which pair works.

farmall
07-03-2014, 1:16 PM
Test lights (you can throw one together from any 12-volt socket/bulb combo if you don't feel like going to the store) are what to use as they are a load.

When you wire in a switch, verify power goes where you want it with a test light.

Verify you have power going to the switch, then verify what the switch actually DOES at each key position using your test light. You will then know what switch terminals are actually hot or not and can connect your component wiring accordingly.

I draw a crude switch diagram and jot the results on that.

Sky
07-04-2014, 6:09 AM
Post a pic or a link of/to the switch in question.
Choke?
As suggested, test that thing.
Either you've mixed up the wiring a little, something else is your culprit, or maybe the switch is faulty.

BrokenSprocketGarage
07-04-2014, 6:35 AM
this is the same switch. wiring diagram is on the link
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2732/buy/m-c-parts/electrical-amp-wiring/universal/lowbrow-customs-weatherpoof-starter-ignition-switch/
you do not need the magneto and choke terminals wired up to make it work

Capino
07-04-2014, 7:33 AM
Looks like a nice high quality switch. Most likely the problem lies elsewhere but rule nothing out until you absolutely rule it out.