PDA

View Full Version : Q: Anyone make their own Fiberglass Fender ?

surfbum
06-30-2014, 9:59 PM
any of yall made one? Ive got crazy ideas and would like to see some.

Bertus
07-01-2014, 4:24 AM
I did mine 2 years ago, nothing fancy tho =>

surfbum
07-01-2014, 6:29 AM
That looks pretty slick

surfbum
07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
anybody?

IronManJr
07-02-2014, 7:41 AM
When I was doing my first sporty I looked into making a fiberglass fender that would wrap around the tire and end real close to the ground on the back, but chose to splice two tweaked stock fenders together instead. Only because I wanted to carry a passenger and didn't trust the fiberglass to hold up to the vibration well.

We did make a side hack (side-car) for my nephews electric bike out of fiberglass and that kid beat the ever living shit out of it running into stairs, trees, patio furniture, people, whatever haha. I will try to get some pics of both.

What style fender are you thinking you want to do?

surfbum
07-02-2014, 8:36 PM
im thinking about a crazy frank style with some internal struts so it can hold weight. I want to do some curves and stuff that i cant do with metal. Hell, it might be a bad idea

Slayer63
07-03-2014, 6:50 AM
Never made a fender but I have done some glass work. I'm no expert but from what little experience I have I'd say plan it out thoroughly. Then make it out of cardboard. Realize your original plan sucked and do it again. Do that a few times. Try to get as many bugs as you can worked out before you mix your epoxy. Once you start laying mat and weave with goop there's no turning back. Also, raw steel bonds to fibreglass really well. Use it for every hole and mount. Buy more than you need and mix only a little at a time. You'll probably fuck up a time or two.