PDA

View Full Version : Evo sportster oil line routing HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

spiritofrebellion
06-29-2014, 3:04 AM
So I got myself in a pickle . Pulled my oil tank out with plans to powder coat and reinstall a couple days later . When I pulled out I noticed one of my mounts was broke ,so I ended up getting a new tank .My bike is a 1990 1200 and I got the next year range oil tank (and battery tray) because the mount system is better . Anyways....with plans of quick re-installation I didn't take any note of the oil line configuration and now two months later I cant figure the fucking shit out . I think ive pieced most of it together but I was mind boggled about a 4th really long line . After looking at a few diagrams in manuals and online I think it may be a transmission vent line ? No idea . Any insight , pictures or whatever would be helpful !

paulw
06-29-2014, 7:45 AM
There's a feed on the bottom, then a return and vent. If it's a stock sportster oil tank there is usually a drain that gets clipped onto your frame

Skylar
06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
There's a feed on the bottom, then a return and vent. If it's a stock sportster oil tank there is usually a drain that gets clipped onto your frame

Brass return fitting at a right angle, tucked up under the cam cover?

If it's the brass return fitting, you may have a hard time getting a line back on there. I just replaced my oil tank and had to replace the whole line.

If you take the cam cover off, you'll need to remove the rocker covers and loosen off the rocker assembly bolts to release pressure on the pushrods to the cams or you will have a struggle taking it off (one or more of the cams will probably drop out)

Billj314
06-29-2014, 1:43 PM
Just like Skylar said the 90 degree brass fitting is your return the fitting on back of chest cam is your vent(that's fitting closest to oil bag and one at the bottom where the brass fitting is your feed. Hope that helps even with a repair manual wasn't too clear for me when I was at that point.

spiritofrebellion
06-29-2014, 9:46 PM
oh boy....thanks guys. Can-o-worms

Skylar
06-30-2014, 7:55 AM
Get a genuine harley service manual from a dealership or ebay

My factory service manual from 1993 was about 30 bucks on ebay....this is only the first time in many you will need it, goes without saying. I've used it lots and had the bike 5 months. Yes, buy it ASAP

Sky
06-30-2014, 9:23 AM
http://www.blackle.com/results/?cx=partner-pub-8993703457585266%3A4862972284&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=sporster+oil+line+diagram&sa=+#gsc.tab=1&gsc.q=sporster%20oil%20line%20diagram