PDA

View Full Version : Mag to Invader swap question

rjwatters38
06-25-2014, 4:03 AM
So I'm going from stock 16/19 single disc mags on my late 83 sporty to a 16/21 spool front invaders. What should I be looking to get to mount these bad boys up? I doubt stock is going to work, am I going to be cutting or does this shit come in a kit somewhere?

govmule84
06-25-2014, 5:25 AM
Spacers, and you may have to cut a new sleeve for the inside of the bearings. I suppose you could need an offset sprocket as well.

rjwatters38
06-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Spacers, and you may have to cut a new sleeve for the inside of the bearings. I suppose you could need an offset sprocket as well.

I plan on swapping sprockets so hopefully that's not an issue, the rest is hardware store shit or what?

skr00ball
06-25-2014, 2:12 PM
Hardware store shit? Doubt it.

You need to mount the wheels and measure offset for the sprocket as well as spacers. For the spacers you will need access to a lathe or good quality chop saw. The bearings are a whole different story.

06-25-2014, 7:14 PM
Doing the same thing. I knocked the bearings out of the invader, put the numbers on the bearings in the computer, and went to the big bearing store.com and it had a list of bearings in that series with same size and width but different sizes for axles. just going to cut new sleeve that goes between bearings.

rjwatters38
06-25-2014, 8:42 PM
all the bearings and seals for the back are getting set up, the front has new bearings, and I'm paying the tire dudes an extra 40 bucks to set up the endplay. only thing I gotta worry about is spacers.

I noticed some stock spacer set ups, but I would assume I wouldn't be lucky enough to find precut spacers. What do I need to buy to cut up to make the spacers? is it just steel tubing I can get at any hardware/metal store? or is there something specific I should be buying?

06-26-2014, 5:19 AM
1.5 diameter tubing, but you will need a lathe to make sure cut is straight.
http://www.aluminumspacers.com/ makes custom ones.

rjwatters38
06-26-2014, 3:18 PM
1.5 diameter tubing, but you will need a lathe to make sure cut is straight.
http://www.aluminumspacers.com/ makes custom ones.

Hmm, basically theres no way I'm gonna get this set up before sunday then? what a bummer. I don't have access to a lathe before the weekend, and i was hoping for some low budget tricks and tips people might have come across before doing a swap like this. Nothing's ever easy enough for me haha.

BMdeckie
06-26-2014, 7:38 PM
If you can get your hands on the stock tubing for your spacers you can take it to a machine shop, offer one of the guys some cash to cut your spacers for ya.

TylerWheeland
06-27-2014, 12:37 AM
all the bearings and seals for the back are getting set up, the front has new bearings, and I'm paying the tire dudes an extra 40 bucks to set up the endplay. only thing I gotta worry about is spacers.

I noticed some stock spacer set ups, but I would assume I wouldn't be lucky enough to find precut spacers. What do I need to buy to cut up to make the spacers? is it just steel tubing I can get at any hardware/metal store? or is there something specific I should be buying?

Ive just used tubing and a saw a few times and it has always worked out fine, never had problems.Might not be perfectly straight but it gets the job done and its not like anythings gonna break.

rjwatters38
06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Ive just used tubing and a saw a few times and it has always worked out fine, never had problems.Might not be perfectly straight but it gets the job done and its not like anythings gonna break.

that's kind of what I felt like, but i didn't want to make an assumption on something that could potentially end my life and overlook something that could be a serious issue. now, to get someone who can give me a hand before sunday. I'd be bummed to throw 700$ at a set of wheels I cant even put on my bike in time for Born Free lol. I'd pay a shop but the turnaround would be too long, and I don't have money to pay someone $100 bucks labor anyway.