PDA

View Full Version : Respirator for a beardy dude?

JohnnyTremendous
08-16-2009, 5:49 PM
I'm looking to get painting some projects in my garage and really don't wanna breathe in all those fumes. I've got a huge beard, so a respirator that seals around the chin is outta the question. I can't afford a supplied air unit. I've seen emergency evacuation hoods that seal around the neck, and are reasonably inexpensive. I figure that could possibly work, but they seem to be single use units.

Any bearded painters around here have any advice?

mjasen10
08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
ive got a beard and mine works ok, im also guilty of shooting with out one quite a bit though too. that being said i definately dont have a wicked viking beard like you though either

Fredo
08-17-2009, 3:16 PM
You're shit outta luck for a respirator that will seal with your beard.
Just open all the doors and hang cheese cloth on all openings. If you spray down the cloth with water it will help keep shit out of the garage while you paint. Bottomline is if you want to do a lot of painting, you either have to spend BIG BUCKS for a fully encapsulated suit or get to shaving that beard.
With all respirators remember that if you can smell or taste what you're trying to keep out of your lungs you're not protected.

Good luck

itchy
08-17-2009, 6:50 PM
I'm with Fredo on this one. The beard will have to go if you plan on getting fitted with a respirator. You dont want to be messing around with this shit. The base's arent as bad as the two part primers, and clears. But all the same, not good, once you get isocyiante poisoning you'll be really sensitive to this stuff. Just speaking from experience. I keep my beard short and wear a supplied air mask now.

This might be an option for ya though. Hope this helps ya.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200343782_200343782

Homebrew
08-18-2009, 8:53 AM
I have heard this works just as good as a respirator.
http://www.jonco48.com/blog/beard_mask.jpg
No it's not me.

JohnnyTremendous
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Homebrew, that may not be a photo of you, but if buddy was a little more tattooed, it could be me!
This is the sort of thing I've thinking might work. They seal at the neck rather than the chin and might do the trick, I'll call a supplier and ask if they have a unit with exchangeable cartridges.
http://www.duramproducts.com/_catalog/Escape_Hoods?gclid=CNGxpafUrZwCFRYiagodzAfekQ

AustinPaul
08-18-2009, 6:57 PM
Johnny, no probs with my respirator with the beard. 100+ heat everyday with the beard no bueno. So I cut that fucker off.

-Paul

Shawn
08-18-2009, 8:46 PM
Yeah man, shave that shit off.
Beards are so not cool.

JohnnyTremendous
08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah man, shave that shit off.
Beards are so not cool.

Last I saw you, you had a mighty beard yourself, Shawn...
I'd rather get others to do my painting than shave. I'll start saving my pennies for a supplied air unit.

Shawn
08-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Ha!
Indeed! And still do.

boogieman
08-19-2009, 6:20 PM
Shaving sucks. I can't get my beard over an inch and a half till it starts itching like a mofo. I never shave though, just hack it down with some hair clippers with no guard.

I look like a vagrant most of the time but I could give a crap less what people think anyway.

JohnnyTremendous
08-19-2009, 10:30 PM
If you can tough out that itchy period, it will pass and you will have a freakin' awesome giant beard. I highly recommend it.

MrCrown
08-20-2009, 3:55 PM
I'll paint for you. I have a booth where I do all the aircraft wheels/brakes.

saving your beard + paying me some sheckles = win/win.