PDA

View Full Version : Harley is announcing an Electric Motorcycle the Live Wire

Haze
06-19-2014, 7:53 AM
I'm just hearing about this today

http://project.harley-davidson.com/en_US

Looks like a sports bike, probably outsourced motor and battery. I don't know what to think. Electric motors have a ton of torque but don't leave home without your foldable solar panel:banghead:

So, how long before one of these is chopped?

Haze
06-19-2014, 7:56 AM
Let's hope Harley doesn't spit out fake engine noises like the BMW.
http://www.cnet.com/news/bmw-m5-generates-fake-engine-noise-using-stereo/

seaking
06-19-2014, 8:22 AM
t's the perfect market for doo-rag dudes who cruise! Stereo?--check, just make sure it goes to eleven and pump out motor vroom noise. 20 mile range? check, who wants to ride further than that anyway. Don't hafta work on it, ever? yes sir. perfect for the "yer bike's leakin, why don't you get a real harley?!" crowd.

CRFyou
06-19-2014, 8:28 AM
It's the answer to the question no one asked.

nerdsports
06-19-2014, 9:22 AM
How long til the "just bought a Live Wire, does anyone have a wiring diagram? i'm trying to simplify the wiring harness"??

Buellbomb
06-19-2014, 9:32 AM
How long til the "just bought a Live Wire, does anyone have a wiring diagram? i'm trying to simplify the wiring harness"??

And a lowering kit!

ScarTissue
06-19-2014, 9:38 AM
"Damn, I wish Harley would break into the electric market!" -Nobody, Ever

shitbike
06-19-2014, 9:39 AM
I'd ride the shit out of it.

Motorradfahrer
06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I think this could be a good move by Harley. If the LiveWire development team concentrates on producing a good handling, fast bike, that holds a charge for 150-200 miles it could be a success for Harley. With more and more electronic cars hitting the road, charging stations will begin to be more common then they are already so it wouldn't be a problem to keep the LiveWire charged and on the road.

Obviously, most of the members of this forum are not the target market.

nateridesbikes
06-19-2014, 10:19 AM
i think it would be super weird riding a motorcycle and not shifting but this thing looks way cool.

JimmyBK
06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
i'd ride it.

it kind of sounds like a large RC car, they won't be faking the harley sound.
I read it only has a 53 mile range, at the moment. they also only made 12 or so. they are testing the waters, if people want it they will put them in production. but with just a 53 mile range, i can't see much of a use other than city riding, even if it does get more power than the 883.

Arsenal
06-19-2014, 12:01 PM
I can't wait to start fabbing up a faux exhaust. I'm gonna be rich.

RattBelly
06-19-2014, 2:10 PM
Shocking.

MrEd
06-19-2014, 3:58 PM
I can't wait to start fabbing up a faux exhaust. I'm gonna be rich.

I'm working on a fake kicker. See you in the Bahamas.

davidabl
06-19-2014, 4:26 PM
The real question is what in the hell nickname the new engine will end up with? Volthead? Sparkhead? E-Head would sound too druggy i think...

Wingnut89
06-19-2014, 4:43 PM
i think it would be super weird riding a motorcycle and not shifting but this thing looks way cool.

Automatic bikes ARE weird to ride. I work at a Honda dealership, and the new CTX700 D models have a righteous dual clutch transmission (one controls odd gears and one controls evens, and they engage/disengage at the same time), that is the smoothest fucking thing I have EVER ridden, but when you're on a scooter or whatever, you don't really think about it. On a full sized bike, it's second nature and you have to constantly remind yourself not to shift. (Of course, I couldn't stand it and had to switch the one I worked on the other day to the Manual - Sport setting. Fucker hit 100 quick hahaha.)

deathmetaldan
06-19-2014, 5:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDBMgE3vZ-4

metalheart28
06-19-2014, 5:21 PM
said 0-60 in 4 seconds. id ride that fuckin thing who cares if its electric that's fuckin fast!!!

Hyde802
06-19-2014, 5:37 PM
I think this could be a good move by Harley. If the LiveWire development team concentrates on producing a good handling, fast bike, that holds a charge for 150-200 miles it could be a success for Harley. With more and more electronic cars hitting the road, charging stations will begin to be more common then they are already so it wouldn't be a problem to keep the LiveWire charged and on the road.

Obviously, most of the members of this forum are not the target market.

Yes to all of this. Its great to see them branching out. Id ride it.

Davestune
06-19-2014, 6:37 PM
what the fuck is this world coming to.
I want to go back to the fucking 70's where I fucking belong

mountainryder
06-19-2014, 9:47 PM
Harley has engineers now, wow. I have one (1939), new ones don't seem much better. Now they are coming out with liquid cooled 500/750s, and e-bikes. Hard core Harley fans will hate this, but the rest of the world has been waiting. Bring it on. I still think vintage bikes rule.

HebrewHammer666
06-19-2014, 11:22 PM
so much for loud pipes saving lives...

Allen
06-20-2014, 1:46 AM
Cant wait to see the first factory-chopped Harley Electric Bike with a moco metal flake paint job at The David Mann Chopperfest...

Cant wait to see the first Electric Harley in the pages of Easy Rider (not that I know how to read).

and dare I say it...

WIN A ELECTRIC HARLEY AT BORN FREE 7 (no way!!!!)

You might say "I'd ride it" but I doubt you'd drink the Harley punch or carry the torch very long.

WingNut
06-20-2014, 3:39 AM
"Want to see photos of Biltwell keystones on a LiveWire":asshat: