PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else into stripin'

fishparts2003
06-19-2014, 6:55 AM
I have been looking for a project bike recently, something small to build a cafe out of. Plan on doing most/all of the mods myself. Love the look of old school pinstripes, so a while back I got the 1shot and brushes and started swearing a lot trying to figure it out. Finally gettin it done!! Got a guy I may be able to barter with for an old 550, and then it's on. Puttin' stripes on the wife's car today, and doing up an x-box or 2 for a couple friends soon too, haha. Anyway here is a pic of one of my latest stripes, done on some shit mirror finish card stock I found at the craft store, but it is good practice material. I know a lot of guys like to bitch about open ended lines, soooooo go ahead if you must. Any other comments welcome too. Thanks for lookin'

Ramzilla
06-19-2014, 9:34 AM
That's awesome man. I wish I had the patience or knew someone local who was good at it. I would love some stripes on my tank and helmet.

gray
06-19-2014, 9:42 AM
Looks good to me. I bought a bunch of striping stuff a little over a year ago, and then I had a kid. I haven't really had a chance to pick it back up since then, but I would really like to some day.

DaNgER556
06-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Nice man. Looks good.

Ive been pinstriping for about 8 years now. I made a living from it back in 07 and 08.

Your style looks cool. A cool tip:

Stick with very simple basic designs, then add a second color and focus on accentuating the shape of the design. After that, you can stack two or 3 simple designs, when the second color goes in, run it through the bigger pieces. Less is more. Keep up the good work man

SuperP
06-19-2014, 2:40 PM
I do it as a hobby and really enjoy getting into a zone and forgetting about things for a bit.

fishparts2003
06-19-2014, 3:08 PM
Thanks guys!! Today didn't go as planned but I still wound up putting some paint down on my truck instead. Here is a pic, right out front on the hood. Stayin up on top of that ridge line is trickier than I thought. Thanks for the tip Danger556, I have been playing with different colors and textures already. I like the results I have gotten, but some of the materials I chose to put it on were not the best idea. Unstable/too much texture to make things easy to pull clean lines.

SuperP
06-19-2014, 3:11 PM
you can check out my profile. I do mostly helmets and tanks and sell a lot here on CC.

ChicagoRedux
06-19-2014, 3:20 PM
... so a while back I got the 1shot and brushes and started swearing a lot trying to figure it out. ...

That's actually nice work. I started trying to figure it out about a month ago and have a new found respect for anyone that can stripe without making a complete mess.

fishparts2003
06-19-2014, 3:26 PM
Nice lookin' work SuperP, did you have do anything special with the leather jacket to get the stripes to hold up well. What are you using for brushes? Right now I have been doing all my work with Kafka stripers, mostly the #1 and 3. Thanks Chicago, I have watched a ton of youtube vids in between swearing, looking at hand position and technique sometimes more than the design itself. Got a pic of anything you want to let us see?

SuperP
06-19-2014, 3:34 PM
I also mainly use Kafka 1 and 3s.

I didn't do anything special with my jacket and the stripes have been there for about 4 years and I usually mistreat it.

This weekend I was practicing with sword stripers because they do longer lines better than kafkas.

In my photos, they are chronological, so they latter ones get better. Also my classifieds have recent helmets.

fishparts2003
06-19-2014, 3:39 PM
I got some swords from the MACK 20 series on order, should be here tomorrow. I have heard mixed reviews from people on them. So many well known guys use em I figured should at least try them, and like you said longer lines without stopping. I am not sure I am not sure I like my Kafka #3 as much as the one, do you use the striper or scroller brush?

SuperP
06-19-2014, 3:45 PM
I use the stripers. I usually use the 3 just for outlining gold leaf. Have been using it more recently for thicker, bolder stripe designs.

fishparts2003
06-19-2014, 3:58 PM
My biggest project with the 3 was a trash can, I don't know why I paint on trash cans, but it happens a lot. Was my first big fade design, colors look cool but symmetry and line width are both a bit weak when you really look at it.

SuperP
06-19-2014, 4:19 PM
Symmetry is always hard without grids (which I rarely use). I tend to sketch out a design first and can deviate when the paint goes on.

One thing I appreciate about he Kafka stripers is if your line is inconsistent, you can go back over the line a few times until you get it right. Not so much with the swords.

I learned on helmets, which is one of the more difficult things. I get really excited to do a tank or hood (flat with good smooth paint).

fishparts2003
06-19-2014, 4:25 PM
I found the grids get messy if it is warm and humid, so now I just use a stabilo for a nice center line if anything. I have seen a lot of guys able to go back on a line with the swords, but have no experience with them myself yet. Agreed on the excitement with real car and bike parts, the feel of automotive paint is better when pullin a line to me than a lot of other stuff I have worked on.

SuperP
06-19-2014, 6:37 PM
I also try to practice on all sorts of things around the house. I have kids, so I commandeer toys and stuff. The plastics are easy to stripe on but it doesnt like to stick well when dry, lol.

fishparts2003
06-20-2014, 6:27 AM
I also try to practice on all sorts of things around the house. I have kids, so I commandeer toys and stuff. The plastics are easy to stripe on but it doesnt like to stick well when dry, lol.

Everyone likes a well striped helmet, but where is the Tonka truck album pics........

panheadmark
06-20-2014, 6:50 AM
Looks good to me as with anything the more you do it the better you will become. I wish I had the natural talent.

fishparts2003
06-20-2014, 7:43 AM
Thanks PHMark, I started an album with some stripes and stuff I do with spray cans. I will add more pics soon, shopping today for new stuff to stripe on.

SuperP
06-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Everyone likes a well striped helmet, but where is the Tonka truck album pics........

Lol, I actually have 2 girls. Most of their stuff is pink and purple. I stripe with white, pink and purple on it. I get to mix the colors they want, and actually work on some more feminine designs. More flowy, loops and curves vs points and angles. Kind of fun.

fishparts2003
06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Here's one I just threw down on my bike, and a partial shot of my naked foot....

SuperP
06-20-2014, 1:25 PM
Nice. Here is one of mine. I did the front fender too.

This one was tough. My bike is plasti-dipped black. So it is rubbery. you can't make mistakes striping because you cant fix it like other surfaces. I was sweatin bullets.

http://i.imgur.com/mzpFrJ0l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9gUcfl.jpg

fishparts2003
06-20-2014, 4:11 PM
Looks good!

HebrewHammer666
06-20-2014, 9:24 PM
looks killer!
i've messed a bit with striping but usually spend most of the time yelling and cursing.
big respect to the dudes that can do this stuff!

fishparts2003
06-21-2014, 7:47 AM
Just got my new brushes yesterday, haven't had time to clean and prep em for use yet, but soon, very soon. Set of Mack 2o series swords, and a Kafka #4 quill for lettering!!

DaNgER556
06-21-2014, 8:34 AM
What do you store your brushes in.

What cups do you use?

SuperP
06-21-2014, 8:43 AM
I have a clear plastic pencil box type case. I inserted a spring from a spiral notebook to hold the brushes in place.

I have little plastic Dixie cups to hold paint, if I need it close. Otherwise I just use the can of paint on a magazine to pallet.

Mineral spirits or cleaners are in clear plastic cocktail cups (they melt the Dixie cups).

DaNgER556
06-21-2014, 8:59 AM
Try paper Dixie cups. It's perfect for loading your brush and getting excess paint off.

Transmission fluid inside the case is awesome too. I don't like vegetable oil just cause it gums it up after awhile.

Trans fluid is what I've been using forever. Just run it between your fingers before using, then dip in your reducer.

fishparts2003
06-21-2014, 9:05 AM
I usually pallet on mags, and store the brushes in tubes they came in after they oiled. The Macks came on a card which will probably get me make something for storage soon.

SuperP
06-21-2014, 9:33 AM
I usually pallet on mags, and store the brushes in tubes they came in after they oiled. The Macks came on a card which will probably get me make something for storage soon.

The problem with tubes is that they don't keep the brush in one place. If moved around the brush could squish the brushes on the end. Plus, it you dip them in oil (I use mineral oil) it will get all over the handle and ferule. my .02

krisc1008
06-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Anyone try Ronin Aquacoat instead of 1Shot? They should have changed the name to 3 Shot a long time ago. I've used the aquacoat for lettering and sign work, but not for striping. Seems like it would work well. Easy clean up and storage, and no brain damage!

SuperP
06-21-2014, 10:35 AM
My brush box

http://i.imgur.com/iQtvLHcl.jpg

spent
06-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Always enjoy seeing people take up striping and stick with it. I'd bet that around 95% of people who go buy a 00Mack and a can of one-shot give up ithin a month, if they even use them at all. That plasti-dip fender turned out pretty clean: seems like a daunting process to stripe over that stuff.

I rarely stripe or paint anymore; just dont have the time. For years though I'd break out the brushes everyday, and made some fun, easy money at it for awhile. Hopefully, I can get back into laying lines regularly this year.

I havnt updated in ages, and it doesnt have any of my helmets or airbrushing, but I think i still have stuff here:

pinheadlounge.com/spent

ChicagoRedux
06-21-2014, 12:56 PM

My Macks came on a card. After I clean and oil the brush I just slip the handle back through the little elastic loops on the card and slide the card into its plastic baggy. I'm not an expert on brushes, but it doesn't appear to harm the brush.

HebrewHammer666
06-21-2014, 2:48 PM
this stuff is killer for oiling your brushes before you put them up

http://www.xcaliberart.com/default.htm

fishparts2003
06-21-2014, 8:01 PM
this stuff is killer for oiling your brushes before you put them up

http://www.xcaliberart.com/default.htm
These guys make brushes too right? Ever tried em

fishparts2003
06-22-2014, 6:35 AM
My brush box

http://i.imgur.com/iQtvLHcl.jpg

Someday soon I will have used this idea, thank you.

SuperP
06-22-2014, 7:32 AM
Someday soon I will have used this idea, thank you.

NP

I originally started with a little wooden coffin box, but it didn't turn out good. The oil was warping the wood.

In the plastic box, the excess oil can flow around and get on all the other brushes.

fishparts2003
06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Just got done swearing at the stripes again!!! No surprise, grabbed a 3/4 helmet I got for when it's cold out, and a brand new Mac 0 sword, and my 1 shot paints. Can pull way longer lines with a MAck and get way uglier results so far compared to my Kafka brushes. Some is break-in time on the brush, some is my limited experience using sword brushes, and the surface on the helmet is slick as hell. Came out so good I wiped it all off and will try again later.lol

HebrewHammer666
06-24-2014, 10:31 AM
These guys make brushes too right? Ever tried em

not sure. i know they sell macks and other brushes.

SuperP
06-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Just got done swearing at the stripes again!!! No surprise, grabbed a 3/4 helmet I got for when it's cold out, and a brand new Mac 0 sword, and my 1 shot paints. Can pull way longer lines with a MAck and get way uglier results so far compared to my Kafka brushes. Some is break-in time on the brush, some is my limited experience using sword brushes, and the surface on the helmet is slick as hell. Came out so good I wiped it all off and will try again later.lol
I love these kind of surfaces. Actually get very excited. The paint flows so nice and you can fix mistakes.

The issue here is the slick surface and the curved helmet. If you are not careful, the brush will try to kick out on you. You are try to go one way and the surface is going another. Your hand always has to be 90deg from the surface.

fishparts2003
06-25-2014, 6:22 PM
Got out the wrenches and brushes today and changed the front tire, brake rotor, pads, and added the pin stripe around the rim, Hell yeah!!!!