PDA

View Full Version : Tweaked neck

Deathmask
06-19-2014, 12:01 AM
I picked up a Softail from this oldtimer who partied a little too hard and ran it into a wall and tweaked the neck a little (see attached pictures). he told me to untweak the neck, I should stick a 1" pipe through the neck, hit the backbone with a torch to heat it up, and muscle it back straight. Later I was talking to a fellow mechanic at the cycle salvage yard and he suggested I not use a torch and just use a pipe through the neck and a bottle jack to straighten it. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for me?

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/zoukitx/_MG_1043.jpg (http://s447.photobucket.com/user/zoukitx/media/_MG_1043.jpg.html)

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/zoukitx/_MG_1064.jpg (http://s447.photobucket.com/user/zoukitx/media/_MG_1064.jpg.html)

spidr
06-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Looks like you've already had a torch to it.

Cant do much more damage to it now that you've had it that hot once already.

Deathmask
06-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Yeah the guy before me put the torch to it a little..... Is there anything I could do to strengthen then backbone, or will i need to?

FredoSNR
06-19-2014, 2:44 AM
Bring it to someone with the proper frame table/jig setup to straighten it or sell it to someone who will. You wont really get this thing straight unless you do it right. If you could eyeball a frame they never would have bothered inventing jigs.

Haze
06-19-2014, 6:35 AM
My opinion is that YES you need to fix that, I wouldn't ride it that way. I do disagree with the previous post though, I don't think you need a jig, but you'll need a level surface, some straight edges, the 1" pipe and some very careful measurements to determine how far to move it or determine when you are right. An angle finder and laser level would help too.

Has someone welded on that right downtube as well?

Sky
06-19-2014, 6:45 AM
Looks like its time to chop it up!
The possibilities are endless! Wishbone? Single down tube, maybe? De-square that backbone?
Try to save the number pad, so you can weld it back on. Or simply re-stamp it
Cut out all the questionable "forging" and tubing. Save the hourglass, or not.
Is it a Springer ST, or?

Deathmask
06-19-2014, 9:47 AM
Yeah I'm definitely going to fix it, I don't think it's rideable at all the way it is now. I was just wondering if I should weld in some gussets or box the heated areas for reinforcement.

The previous owner did torch the down tube also.

I'm not sure if it was a springer or not. I didn't get a front end with the bike.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to fix it or just go with a hardtail.

Haze
06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
If it was a springer, the model would be FXSTS ... problaby doesn't matter anyway because I'm sure the front end was mess up in this crash.

Did you get a clear title on this? .. Or is it a salvaged title?.. or no title at all?

spidr
06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Yeah I'm definitely going to fix it, I don't think it's rideable at all the way it is now. I was just wondering if I should weld in some gussets or box the heated areas for reinforcement.

The previous owner did torch the down tube also.

I'm not sure if it was a springer or not. I didn't get a front end with the bike.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to fix it or just go with a hardtail.

Not really going to matter right now hardtail or not.

The amount of heat it takes with the torch to make the down tube look like that means it will be brittle there. If you want to fix it right, slug and replace the down tube, cut out the back bone and do it right. If that upper motor mount is still attached its likely under a ton of stress. I'd check for cracks on the motor. You've got it apart right now, so nows the time to fix it right. You dont want this stuff coming back to bite you in the ass later.

DustyDave
06-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Modern Hardlys aren't built out of anything special heating wont hurt it. Bring it to a dull red straighten it till the laser or jig says it's straight cool it real slow ( wrap it in a weld blanket -bury it in ashes etc) then recheck. There was a time that Hardly frames were oven tempered and if you heated a small area the whole frame had to be re-heat treated or it would crack at the boundary of the heated area. Be sure to replace the neck bearings they look like shit. And if there are any other areas that were heated reheat and cool slowly in case they cooled them with water.
Dusty

Deathmask
06-19-2014, 12:59 PM
I didn't mean whether or not to hardtail this frame, I meant whether or not to get a new frame that is a hardtail.

Yeah I didn't even get the front end with the bike, the guy said it was trashed. But the bike has a clean title.

deathmetaldan
06-19-2014, 7:54 PM
cut off the neck or save the numbers and restamp.... the damage is already done and then made worse.