PDA

View Full Version : Carb Troubles

Slaughter
06-18-2014, 4:37 AM
Ok fellas I cannot figure this out. (not a carb guy) It is probably an easy fix but Im not sure. 1981 KZ550 TK carbs.....

Cleaned carbs everything was fine except that the number 2 carb leaked from the overflow took it back apart and re cleaned checked it out put it back ...it still leaked.. so I took it back apart and switched the float needle with the number 1 carb.....sure enough the leak moved from 2 to 1......so far so good......had a handful (4) extra float needles.....tried them all and number 1 STILL leaks.....I know its possible but I find it hard to swallow that ALL of these float needles are bad.....Somebody help me out here what am I missing?

ScarTissue
06-18-2014, 5:25 AM
I have a carb that randomly leaks a little too. Usually when I'm kicking. Cleaned it twice and it still leaks. So I just live with it.

Sorry I don't have anything more useful to add, but if someone has an idea then I too would like to hear it.

Haze
06-18-2014, 6:19 AM
They've gone to plaid!

Sorry, can't help with the carb, but like the pic of your bike

metalheart28
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
change float, needle and seat

seaking
06-18-2014, 1:49 PM
agh this is like one of those annoying applied math questions from junior high. Suzy trades apples for 12 oranges and a goose eats one who ate the goose. how many apples does she have now? who's on first?
It's kinda hard telling ya what to do without a pic of the carb too. When did ChopCult turn into tech talk?

haha anyway the guy above is right, but I hate throwing money at anything. Check the float in water. Does it float?
Then if the needle and seat are both metal, pull them and try some lapping compound. Ace also sells tiny o-rings, might not be small enough though. If none of that works, go with needle, seat, float (if they're bad) and seat o-rings. Bowl gaskets as well. If your carb has a crossover feed tube instead of a separate gas line, you can get those o-rings at ace. Those have gone bad on me before

farmall
06-18-2014, 2:38 PM
Bench check the carbs with a dummy tank (plastic lawn mower tanks and inline valves FTW!) or run a long fuel hose off the stock tank if that's all ya got.

It's much easier to fuck with them off the bike.

Water is denser then gasoline. I check floats in fuel.

Slaughter
06-19-2014, 5:08 PM
Ok well I finally figured it out....There is a leak somewhere in the overflow tube itself.......I finally got smart and JUST switched the bowl from one to another..... sure enough the leak moved with the bowl. so I hit fleabay and no such luck......anyone out there have a float bowl for an 81 kz550? They are TK (teiki) not mikuni.

farmall
06-19-2014, 7:09 PM
You could coat the tube with a layer of JB weld, including where it presses into the carb body.