PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running 8 inches of trail?

sactojon
06-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Anybody running 8" of trail & living to tell the story?

spidr
06-16-2014, 11:47 PM
My little bitch is around 16. Likely more than that even.
Its a bit of a pain in the ass around town, but manageable, and I drive like an asshole splitting lanes like normal.

53Bash
06-17-2014, 3:31 PM
Really? It doesn't look like nearly that much. I assumed with the offset from the leading link and the fork tubes, it was in the typical 4-6" range. With 16 inches of trail and rake like that, you shouldn't need a kickstand -the front of the frame would rest on the ground when you lock the bars!

Edit - ah, you mean the small bike, not the GD build, eh?

spidr
06-17-2014, 3:36 PM
You got it, the GD build is about 2-3/4. Should handle like a gixxer.....In theory........lol

My cb400 has 10 over forks and a smidge over 50* of rake. Slammed in the back, you almost have to measure the trail in feet.

I've thought about a springer to fix it, but it doesnt bother me enough to bother, even with a foot clutch.

53Bash
06-17-2014, 4:10 PM
You got it, the GD build is about 2-3/4. Should handle like a gixxer.....In theory........lol

I always wondered what a fork with lots of rake but low trail would ride like. There must be more to handling than just trail. If nothing else, your wheelbase is a wee bit longer than a gixxer's, and weight distribution is probably quite different.

I'm going for similar trail with a MUCH steeper rake (sub 20) and short wheelbase (because sport-touring bike). I doubt even with identical trail the bikes would have much in common handling wise, apart from both having a lot of unsprung mass.