PDA

View Full Version : Panhead topend rebuild help

burd
06-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Anybody know of a Panhead rebuild video? Looking to at least do a full top end rebuild. Could probably follow the book. But I'm a visual kind of guy. YouTube helps. But a start to stop would be great. Any help is much appreciated.

SyndicateChoppers
06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Anybody know of a Panhead rebuild video? Looking to at least do a full top end rebuild. Could probably follow the book. But I'm a visual kind of guy. YouTube helps. But a start to stop would be great. Any help is much appreciated.
your gonna need a good machine shop to do a top end rebuild.
If you want to do it yourself contact a reputable engine builder that builds Panheads. Not an indy shop that works on Twin Cams or Evos but someone who is familiar with building Panheads. Get a price estimate to do the valve job and bore and hone on the cylinders etc.

Get yourself a factory service manual for your motor - that has all the info in there you need to know about physically replacing your top end before and after the proper machine work has been done to the components that need it.

Also on a side note
what leads you to believe that you just need a top end job ?
is the bottom end in good condition ?
have you had it check by a professional ?

If you need some reputable engine builders for reference shoot me a pm I can send you a list of guys and shops that do nice engine work and can take care of the machine work you will need done for it

farmall
06-16-2014, 5:58 PM
SyndicateChoppers nailed it.

If you haven't been into the bottom it should be inspected by someone experienced with those engines.

Since the top end will be off anyway my preference is to yank the bottom end and inspect on the bench. A few more fasteners and not much work.

Davestune
06-16-2014, 6:43 PM
agree with above posts, I just did my motor, its a little more involed with pan rockers than with shovels and alsoA good machinist will know a few tricks for those heads
machining the heads so the collors sit flat milling the ridge where the valves sit and checking the heads for warps and how deep the seats are.
also like above you can check the lower end and if you do need to have them wheels done you can have the factor you want
If your still running the cat iron pump, you can upgrade it if you have the doe while down there, for 330 dollars from ss you get the whole kit right down to the breather pump!
I can also refer you to a very high end machine shop also...
good luck, pans have the best sound outa them all...........

burd
06-16-2014, 9:37 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I needed to hear. I just assumed a top end cause the gaskets look alittle worn with mild oil leakage. Runs great other then that, just figured I'd attempt to get into the motor side of things. Gotta start somewhere I guess. But I'm not a machinist and don't wanna fuck my motor up.