PDA

View Full Version : Brake light switch reversed?

ScarTissue
06-11-2014, 4:56 PM
Okay, I've asked some stupid questions here in the past couple of days but this will be the last one for a little bit, promise. My sissy bar fell off the other day and trashed my brake light, so I ordered a new one. It's a two conductor jobbie, same as the old one. I wired it up and now it seems to grow dimmer when I apply the brakes instead of brighter. The switch isn't sticking because as soon as I can feel it activate the light dims.

The old light worked perfectly (until it fell off).

The switch itself was reading infinite resistance when not depressed, and 0.00 when depressed which is the opposite of what it's supposed to be. I have no idea what the problem is since I haven't touched anything else but the brake light.

I am thinking this could be a grounding problem maybe? Any ideas?

Other deets I originally left out cuz I'm dumb:
Bike is a Triumph, bare bones wiring. Headlight and taillight are on all the time (as long as the ignition's on), no turn signals or anything like that. The tail light comes on and works fine, it just seems to be the break light circuitry that is wonky.

And also, I can look at the bulb and see one filament going out as the switch is depressed.

vin
06-12-2014, 9:27 AM
Sounds like you just reversed the wires to the tail light.

ScarTissue
06-12-2014, 9:35 AM
I got it... turns out it was a grounding thing. It may have been touching the sissy bar or something.

Feel free to delete this thread if you want...