PDA

View Full Version : Intake filter question

Rubber1side1down
06-11-2014, 2:24 PM
Got a srceaming eagle high flow intake on my 97 sporty 1200 but don't like the tuna can look of it, an then saw this thread over at HD forum http://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/605477-small-cheap-and-easy-do-it-yourself-air-cleaner-lots-of-pics.html

love the look and the price my question is with already having my carb tuned for the SE intake would I need to retune my carb to run this?

Dragon5
06-11-2014, 4:36 PM
I did this to my wife's bike. Great mod by the way. I didn't rejet the carb, and to tell you the truth, it think it runs better. May be just me, or a fluke or whatever, but I swear it runs better than before. Go for it. People love the mod and think its actually an expensive bolt-on. If you have to tune your carb after..fuck it. If you don't like it...it was cheap...just put the ham-can back on. BTW..hers is a 97 883 sporty.

rjwatters38
06-11-2014, 7:27 PM
I did this to my wife's bike. Great mod by the way. I didn't rejet the carb, and to tell you the truth, it think it runs better. May be just me, or a fluke or whatever, but I swear it runs better than before. Go for it. People love the mod and think its actually an expensive bolt-on. If you have to tune your carb after..fuck it. If you don't like it...it was cheap...just put the ham-can back on. BTW..hers is a 97 883 sporty.

I got one of those for a mikuni. Be VERY VERY careful when installing this airfilter, I tightened down the screws and split the metal around the clamp. very cheap material.

Clockwork444
06-11-2014, 8:53 PM
you can buy a mooneyes intake which is 12 or 13 bucks and is bolt on. the 4" filter diameter is barely flowing enough for your engine, so make sure you use a high quality filter like a K&N etc.

JayJamesSchiltz
11-04-2016, 7:13 PM
2 and half year old post revival. Just made one of these for a hardtailed buell project. Now I'm second guessing myself. Is the 4" filter to small for these. I'm sitting here staring at it thinking this can't possibly flow enough air for this engine.