PDA

View Full Version : DEI exhaust wrapping tonight

conwaylale
06-10-2014, 8:14 PM
I'm using the DEI header wrap on my 4 into 4s. CB750. I got the kit with 2 , 50 foot rolls 8 stainless "locking" ties and the silicon spray all together for 75 from advanced auto using my military discount.
I soaked the wrap in water and this has been the biggist PITA and mess I have ever fooled with on my bike. The biggest problem I've had is the stainless ties. They won't lock down very tight at all. I dont want to pinch them and have to buy more. Anyone have expierence with this?

rjwatters38
06-10-2014, 8:21 PM
mine went on pretty simple, and I did everything the same as you did, however I did have a battle buddy ;)

SuperP
06-11-2014, 4:54 AM
When I wrapped my pipes. I threw the roll over the rafter in my garage. the lose end for wrapping, the roll end I held under my foot for tension while I stwisted. the pipes. Someone could have held it for me, but I was by myself. Wear long sleeves and gloves. The stainless ties went easy with a small needle nose pliey and a small screw drive to cinch them up.

JWDR
06-11-2014, 6:21 AM
Buy the DEI titanium next time, no soaking is needed with it.

With what you have, I second the long sleeves and gloves. I used my wife's rubber dish gloves that last time I used fiberglass wrap.

I also use lacing wire rather than the stainless ties. You can completely hide it by lacing it through the wrap and twisting it at the bottom.

Blackbetty
06-11-2014, 9:29 AM
Never liked the stainless ties. I use SS hose clamps instead.

RexCharger
06-11-2014, 11:33 AM
I used hose clamps as well. Also had a buddy, and I held the wrap as he twisted the pipe.

steves7220
06-11-2014, 2:33 PM
The one thing about wrapping is you gotTa keep it right. Tie one end of the wrap to something solid like the leg of your work bench and just wrap and walk forward pulling against the wrap to keep it tight. Then start te bike and let the heat of the pipes burn the water out of the wrap.

Ato
06-11-2014, 2:58 PM
I used hose clamps as well. Also had a buddy, and I held the wrap as he twisted the pipe.

Same for me, stainless steel claims from the hardware store and they still look good after over a year.

lowflyer
06-11-2014, 3:08 PM
I'm using the DEI header wrap on my 4 into 4s. CB750. I got the kit with 2 , 50 foot rolls 8 stainless "locking" ties and the silicon spray all together for 75 from advanced auto using my military discount.
I soaked the wrap in water and this has been the biggist PITA and mess I have ever fooled with on my bike. The biggest problem I've had is the stainless ties. They won't lock down very tight at all. I dont want to pinch them and have to buy more. Anyone have expierence with this?

Just lock a vise grip on the strip that sticks out and pull it tight with a circlip pliers. You can get good leverage this way to pull the tie wrap tight.

BMdeckie
06-11-2014, 4:36 PM
You don't have to soak the wrap, just spray it down real quick with a hose. It also helps to use some thin CA glue or superglue on the sections you plan to cut, that way it won't fray.