PDA

View Full Version : SB&F parts lot Resurrection

DrChomp
06-10-2014, 6:33 PM
First and foremost I would like to thank Chop-Cult for giving this culture a social media outlet. We appreciate all you have done for the world of choppering. Without them this resurrection may not have happened.
Let's get to the point. A few months back we ODBean and myself Drchomp aka Curtis and Tom purchased an old SB&F parts lot. It contained many machined almost ready to assemble parts. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the classified listings I speak of. After picking up a van full of old 4130 we quickly began reverse engineering what we could. The first of all the goodies to be offered are the Spring Struts. Most of all the pieces to this puzzle were there. Plungers, bungs, bushing and chromed springs are all NOS parts. Where as the lower legs are made by us. All precision TIG welded and assembled using original factory jigs and fixtures. I have put these to the test with thousands of miles on the pot hole riddled streets of Chicago. Absolutely no problems have been had since day one. We are extremely close to releasing these to the masses. Please keep an eye out in the classified section. Coming soon to the chop market will be Speedball Cycle Works where we will give you a better run down of everything we offer. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

DrChomp
06-10-2014, 7:36 PM
Pictures only seem to be popping up under full site option. Sorry for inconvenience I am looking into the problem.

Clockwork444
06-10-2014, 8:01 PM
i can only assume you are talking about smith brothers & fettro? not to start a bitching match or anything but donny still has a shop here in MN i would just make sure you are not producing anything that is patented i believe (dont quote me) there were patents out on a few things that he made back in the day and who knows if they are still valid. if not, and hes not producing any of the parts, thats awesome keep it up!

DrChomp
06-10-2014, 9:31 PM
When moon machine went out of business. Moon being whom stored all these parts for many years. All of the SB&F stuff they had was offered back to Donnie before it was sold. Donnie said that he didn't have any use for it since he has moved in a new direction with bike building. I have checked for patents under all names possible. I haven't found any. All the props to Donnie for still keeping his passion alive after all these years. We respect all that SB&F has done in the past and strive to maintain the equal quality of the parts we offer.

Clockwork444
06-10-2014, 9:35 PM
right on. i wasnt trying to start any shit just making sure it was legit ya know. donny probably doesnt care much seeing as most of his money is made from his name being used for the bike show here in town. his shop is still small and is a down to earth guy, i think he gets to pick and choose his builds as he wants. i havent heard of any parts being produced by him, just full bike builds for high $$$

DrChomp
06-10-2014, 9:46 PM
No problem no offense taken.
Never hurts to clear the air.

nofendertom
06-11-2014, 8:46 AM
it sounds as though you are putting together these Smith Brothers and Fettrow struts from NOS parts. Do you plan on
making these when the old parts run out and do you plan to make any other SB&F parts?

DrChomp
06-11-2014, 9:20 AM
So long as there is a demand for them we will be recreating the spring struts. We have many other parts soon to be available. Some using SB&F old stock others are fabricated by us. Stay tuned as they are ready we will be posting progression pictures.

ODBean
06-12-2014, 4:39 AM

Visionarycycleproducts
06-12-2014, 6:56 AM
When moon machine went out of business. Moon being whom stored all these parts for many years. All of the SB&F stuff they had was offered back to Donnie before it was sold. Donnie said that he didn't have any use for it since he has moved in a new direction with bike building. I have checked for patents under all names possible. I haven't found any. All the props to Donnie for still keeping his passion alive after all these years. We respect all that SB&F has done in the past and strive to maintain the equal quality of the parts we offer.

We bought the Moon Machine company from Diane at the end of 2013, and we currently have it up and running restoring it back to its "glory days"
We also looked at what was left of that SB&F parts lot while we were out in Minnesota.
Donnie Smith is still around and was nice enough to take the time to sit down with us in person and go over a lot of things concerning these parts.
If I were you I would at least make a phone call to the guy. He does not have any patents out on the stuff but there is still a certain "courtesy" that should be respected in regards to some of this stuff.
I'll tell you for a fact he is not comfortable having the SB&F name used in any part of the products anymore, and that can land you in some legal trouble because SB&F on paper does still exist and SB&F owns a lot of assets in things outside the motorcycle industry. It is true that Donnie has turned that page in his life in regards to making and building products like he did with SB&F.

My point being is just maybe do your homework a little more before you start actually "selling" some of this stuff to the public as that might land you in some legal trouble.
Get in touch personally yourself with Donnie he is a great guy and super friendly. He actually has a lot of information about a lot of those jig fixtures etc and was very helpful in getting an actual "real life" estimate of how much work there is to get what is there back up and running. There was a lot of pieces of the puzzle missing there from that stuff and when you come to the point where a little advise from the person who designed can be helpful, Donnies input will be priceless.

DrChomp
06-13-2014, 3:25 PM
Visionarycycleproducts thank you for the insight and heads up. We have spoken with Donnie. He knows all that is going on and wishes us luck. Donnie's knowledge and assistance will greatly help in the upcoming months and we feel privledged to have someone like him to answer questions. Nothing has been sold as of this time and nothing will be with anything besides our name behind it. At no time would we ever want to cross the legal lines. We realize after some needed pointers, we were riding a little to close to the legal boundaries. That being said I want to say that I really appreciate what you are doing with your business and look forward to using your products going forward. Keep up the quality work.

DrChomp
06-18-2014, 4:25 PM
The chromed springs turned out great! Looking for a little input on what sizes people would like to see the most. Offering at 11 12 and 13 inches. Let us know what size would look best on your swingarm.

Clockwork444
06-18-2014, 6:42 PM
yeah he is a very approachable guy. he has a stand at his show here in st. paul and thousands of people go in there and nobody would even know who he is unless someone pointed him out. when he goes to the local swap meets put on by the clubs he is a super cool guy and very knowledgeable. at this point im almost positive he is able to live off the use of his name for the motorcycle show/swap. anything he does in his shop is probably to escape the wife or strictly out of passion, but every time i hear about people going there he always seems to have something new going on. good luck on the parts venture, im sure you will do well with it.

DrChomp
06-21-2014, 6:05 AM
Here are the 13" and the 11". Both are in a raw polished finished. Looking for a reliable chrome source here in the Chicagoland area, anybody know of one? Powder coating will be available. Getting closer, the wheels are turning and heading in the right direction. 4911849118