PDA

View Full Version : BT rigid oil tank nipple threads

gilbygtr
06-10-2014, 4:51 PM
Ok, who knows the thread of these nipples. I know how to take the nut & try out different bolts. But it doesn't fit anything I have or the 4 hardware stores I went to. Mine are stripped & I need to re-thread.

Andy
06-10-2014, 5:30 PM
I believe they're 9/16-24

XbrooklynX
06-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Its a harley thread size. And the pipe flare is harley specific too. Not gonna find it at any hardware store. Sorta bullshit seeing as how easily they strip out.

farmall
06-11-2014, 6:25 AM
That male fitting is done, reason being there's no metal left for rethreading. It's intended to be replaced. Your line nut is fucked too as it didn't wipe those male threads without damaging itself.

At least it's just the fitting and not the tank bung. Replace tank fitting, use teftape on male nipple threads where it goes into the oil tank for anti-seize protection, and replace the line with fitting nut.

I'd brush-on anti-seize the line nut too and the line nut on the other end of that line since the line will be swapped. Drench other fitting with penetrant before removing as it may fuck the other male fitting on removal.

Chrome fittings on chromed nipples (and other fasteners) are a recipe for galling, just like stainless-on-stainless.

People don't think of galling between shiny new parts but it's common. Get a jar of anti-seize from yer local auto parts store and make friends (how intimate is up to you) with it.

Anti-seize, teftape, and Loctite have one thing in common. They resist galling. farmall no like dry threads.

MadRiverMoCo
06-11-2014, 7:35 AM
Use the yellow teflon tape and not the white shit