PDA

View Full Version : Raw wheels?

rjwatters38
06-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm getting a RAW (never chromed, never powdercoated) front invader. I don't want to chrome it, and I want to get it powdercoated next month when I get my back wheel for it, however in the mean time, I wanted to throw a wheel on it and have it on the bike for born free, even if it isn't finished.

Can I run a rim with no finish? should I spray a layer of wheel clear or some of the VHT paint I see at autozone? Should I stop being an impetuous man-child and just get them powdercoated next month?

almost born free!

MadRiverMoCo
06-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm getting a RAW (never chromed, never powdercoated) front invader. I don't want to chrome it, and I want to get it powdercoated next month when I get my back wheel for it, however in the mean time, I wanted to throw a wheel on it and have it on the bike for born free, even if it isn't finished.

Can I run a rim with no finish? should I spray a layer of wheel clear or some of the VHT paint I see at autozone? Should I stop being an impetuous man-child and just get them powdercoated next month?

almost born free!

Don'tspray anything on it except a rust inhibitor like dry molly

rjwatters38
06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Don'tspray anything on it except a rust inhibitor like dry molly

Thanks for giving me drug related search history :P

with dry MOLY is that something that would be difficult to clean up for powder? or is it a pretty easy to remove substance?

MadRiverMoCo
06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks for giving me drug related search history :P

with dry MOLY is that something that would be difficult to clean up for powder? or is it a pretty easy to remove substance?

An alcohol based cleaner will have it right as rain for powder...

And would I funk up your search history? Me?

Ato
06-10-2014, 3:46 PM
An alcohol based cleaner will have it right as rain for powder...

And would I funk up your search history? Me?

Get a couple of cans of Plastidip and hit it with 4-6 good coats. You don't even need to worry about taping the tire off, just don't go overboard with the overspray and it will rub right off with your finger. Once you are ready to paint or powder the wheel you can peel off the Plastidip in one big sheet.

Stlmikie
06-10-2014, 4:43 PM
I'm going to second the Plasti-dip. That stuff is brilliant. More than likely they have the color you plan on powder coating. That way you can see what it'll look like. Hell, you might just leave the dip on it. Save the cashola. Five bucks a can here. I just did my truck wheels and they look powder coated. And super easy to do.

rjwatters38
06-10-2014, 5:19 PM
I'm going to second the Plasti-dip. That stuff is brilliant. More than likely they have the color you plan on powder coating. That way you can see what it'll look like. Hell, you might just leave the dip on it. Save the cashola. Five bucks a can here. I just did my truck wheels and they look powder coated. And super easy to do.

damn, just saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

Im totally gonna give it a shot on these rims. not that I want to, but is it gas resistant enough to use on quick tank jobs? could be a rad quick fix. anyway, thanks for the heads up on it, I'll post a picture when I get the rim set up.

I'm getting the rim preloaded with a bearing and I'd rather not punch it out and in again if i dont have to; I should be okay just taping off right?

Stlmikie
06-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Sorry for taking so long to reply. But yes. Just tape it off. Any overspray that might happen just rubs off.

Ato
06-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Is the rim mounted on the bike yet? If not you can do what I did with my VW a few years ago. Buy a pack of index cards and fan them out in the seam, much easier and quicker than tapping.