PDA

View Full Version : so i stop at the local biker bar

4evrshovel
06-09-2014, 1:37 PM
48858 I was out riding around on Saturday. I stop at a local bar, I go to all the time. I go in have a beer, and chat with some of the guys. when I come out, there is 10 guys checking out my bike. all wearing support gear. 1 guy starts bitching. you have to go home and tighten every bolt every time you ride this thing. it is a shovel, and yes some wrenching is involved. but, it is not that bad. if you keep an eye on things. I can ride it hard about 10-15 times before I give it a complete check over. then another guy starts bitching. look it's leaking, of course it's leaking. all the old bikes did. I grew up with home built hard tails on my front lawn. the boys called the factory bikes garbage wagons when I was a kid. this is the kind of bike I always dreamed of having. anyone can go to Harley and buy a big twin. I an 06 Dyna, I only ride when my ol lady wants to ride with me. I thought it was kinda funny they think my home built ride sucks. I did not build it, I inherit her. I am just her keeper. I have my ideas to make it my own. but, I would rather ride my shovel than a new bike any day. let me know what you guys think.

nerdsports
06-09-2014, 1:43 PM
Sounds like jealousy. haha

skr00ball
06-09-2014, 1:44 PM
That all sounds about right to me...

sherminator866
06-09-2014, 1:46 PM
dude screw those guys. thats a rad looking bike for sure. i wouldnt worry about what a few idiots have to say about you or your bike. probably half of them couldnt even do a 1/4 of the work you do on it and they think just because they are "supporters" of a cool club they think they know it all. like you said, anyone can go buy a harley and be a "biker", but those people will never have the satisfaction or knowledge of working on their own bikes. if you would have asked for some pointers on how to fix all the problems they are pointing out im sure it would have been a short conversation.

SuperP
06-09-2014, 2:09 PM
I get the same comments as well. Sometimes she is cranky and doesn't want to kick real easy, or maybe flooded. Guys will say "Well, What is wrong with your bike?" or "that's what you get with an old bike". The nerve of these assholes.

This thing is, I can't just hop on and ride my bike. I have to operate it. It takes some effort. Not like the rolling couches a lot of "bikers" ride. Guys with old bike are a lot more in tuned with the machine, both on it and when wrenching on it. Something you can't replace and the HarleyShop bikers will never understand.

Davestune
06-09-2014, 2:20 PM
fuckem they dont know shit anyway, thats a nice cleen bike btw, i like them cone motors they can make some good power............
next time say nice costume

AMFshovelheads
06-09-2014, 2:26 PM
righteous ride! haters gonna hate - do your own thing and forget what others say

EVILBLACKSABRE
06-09-2014, 2:46 PM
The world is full of idiots, posers, and douchebags who just enjoy putting other people down (and other peoples bikes). They never upset me, they make me laugh.

I wonder how many of those guys who were ragging on your ride have to take their bikes to the dealer for an oil change, or some other simple task, because they're just posers who don't really know shit about bikes.

When they commented on the nuts loosening or the leakage, a simple answer would have been- "REAL bikers don't have a problem with that. Because REAL bikers know how to wrench".

Or you can follow my guide for social interaction-

Them- I don't like your bike.
Me- Yeah, Go fuck yourself.

Them- Why did you do that to your bike?
Me- Because go fuck yourself.

I just make friends wherever I go. :)

By the way, nice bike.

leston
06-09-2014, 2:50 PM
nice looking bike. i like to call those types of people 'haters'

Smiley
06-09-2014, 2:59 PM
If this kind of behavior concerns you then maybe you shouldn't be on a bike to begin with but then again maybe this is just another social media site where people vent their frustrations in life.

Jhax
06-09-2014, 3:10 PM
Some guy was outside the bar checking out my triumph, giving me all the same bullshit you got, and when we asked how his bike was set up, he responded with I don't have a bike. At which point he was told to fuck off, and I went back to enjoying my beer. The more people who hate on my bike, the more I KNOW I built the right bike!

4evrshovel
06-09-2014, 3:13 PM
thanks guys, I do not give a fuck what anyone thinks. I just thought it was kind of funny. I have been going to this bar and another favorite hang out for years. been riding the shovel for the last 4. this was the first time I got this shit. these guys think they are hardcore. I do not claim to be anything. just another Rider.

Rubman
06-09-2014, 3:13 PM
If you REALLY look at it from an objective perspective, the thread you've created isn't very different from those guys ragging on your heap.

Just a bunch of dudes complaining about the choices of other dudes (for instance, your gentle prod at their support gear).

It is what it is, man. If a dude's gonna wear support gear, let him wear support gear. I wear it all the time. And I have a 78 fxe that's kick start only with a foot clutch, hand shifter, 1.5 open belt, and a chromed out wide glide on it. And I also have a more recently acquired 02 fxd that's a straight up club bike.

Should people pick on me because both you and those strangers appear to have drawn clear and distinctive lines in the sand, but people like me don't know which side of the fence we'd rather play on?

My point is this -- who cares, brother? Ride and be happy. When people give me shit about what I ride, I say one of two things:

1. "Go fuck yourself!" (as HoodRatDave can apparently attest to, personally. hahahaha!)

2. "Come kick it over and show me how it's done. Please."

That mentality is why I never really go to any of the local "biker bars" or "bike nights" or any of that queer shit. Just have fun. :) Nice scoot, by the way.

borninmaine1
06-09-2014, 3:22 PM
Fuck em...
sniveling pussies are so jealous,they have to make each other feel better,by putting your ride down.
sort of like a bunch of bitches on the rag at the same time.
That is a righteous ride!

Wolfchop
06-09-2014, 5:04 PM
Just tell them that their wives are monkey loving whores

Tacitus
06-09-2014, 7:04 PM
I don't doubt that this stuff happens. After all there seems to be numerous post on this site about this kind of disrespect from random strangers. So I am wondering how common this is? I have been riding for a good long time and have never encounter some one insult my bike .....to my face anyway. What gives with this shit? Is there some common denominator to all of this? People most be straight up stupid to start shit like that with a dude they don't know.

TwoLaneFever
06-09-2014, 7:25 PM
sweet shovel yas got,, if they don't get "it" they never will , guys you mentioned are nowhere man,,,blow it off as the" civilians" don't know squat

JamesM
06-09-2014, 9:17 PM
[QUOTE=Rubman;605496] I have a 78 fxe that's kick start only with a foot clutch, hand shifter, 1.5 open belt, and a chromed out wide glide on it.

I swear to God you have to put your dick on the table about that bike at least once a week.

Rubman
06-09-2014, 9:34 PM
[QUOTE=Rubman;605496] I have a 78 fxe that's kick start only with a foot clutch, hand shifter, 1.5 open belt, and a chromed out wide glide on it.

I swear to God you have to put your dick on the table about that bike at least once a week.

You're kidding me, right?! Everyone always asks me, "What happened to the shovel head?!" "Did you sell the shovel head?!"

Apparently, I need to put my dick on the table about my shovel MORE!

Keep yapping and I'll start a weekly thread about it :asshat:;)

JamesM
06-09-2014, 9:39 PM
That's all I ask. I keep forgetting if it has a foot clutch and if the wide glide is painted or chromed.

dexxx
06-09-2014, 10:51 PM
how wide is your glide bro

Rubman
06-10-2014, 12:05 AM
wide as FUCK. i picked up a narrowed and shaved 39mm to toss on it, but sold it to some gentleman in florida after I decided i was tired of all the choppers with the skinny front ends.

freakytiki
06-10-2014, 4:37 AM
that's a nice shovel!!! fuck de fuckers that don't get it,,coz they never will.......
I don't make excuses for my shovel,,never fuckin will,,,,,,,don't like that oil leak son? well ya better step back before you stain your doc martins........

MadRiverMoCo
06-10-2014, 6:28 AM
I think you need an Excelsior...

bparsel
06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
I get the same comments as well. Sometimes she is cranky and doesn't want to kick real easy, or maybe flooded. Guys will say "Well, What is wrong with your bike?" or "that's what you get with an old bike". The nerve of these assholes.

Haha, I thought of your bike instantly when I read the start of this thread. That dude in Oxford that night still cracks me up. You were kicking your ass off and he walked over to me..."Whats wrong with his bike man?" - Me "It's a '64 shovelhead.....so nothing really"

SuperP
06-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Haha, I thought of your bike instantly when I read the start of this thread. That dude in Oxford that night still cracks me up. You were kicking your ass off and he walked over to me..."Whats wrong with his bike man?" - Me "It's a '64 shovelhead.....so nothing really"

Yeah...dickheads. My bike never liked a crowd anyway.

Skoots
06-10-2014, 1:51 PM
People be people. Nice scoot though.

oldmansporty63
06-10-2014, 5:42 PM
should have told them "thats what real bikers ride!"

no tag line here.

aviewfrom
06-10-2014, 5:55 PM
I get a kick out of some of the comments I get. I've got a plain looking rigid chopper with a springer front end running an Evo engine and had some guy come up to me, look at it and say "well it's not really a Harley anymore is it?". Wasn't really sure what to say to that but "suppose not".

farmall
06-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I'd tell 'em it's a Harley minus the pointless extra shit.

When trolled, return the favor with a smile.

spidr
06-11-2014, 1:02 PM
I get a kick out of some of the comments I get. I've got a plain looking rigid chopper with a springer front end running an Evo engine and had some guy come up to me, look at it and say "well it's not really a Harley anymore is it?". Wasn't really sure what to say to that but "suppose not".

The answer is the same as when the question is posed to me on a jap bike...........

"that was the point."

aviewfrom
06-11-2014, 4:18 PM
Dammit, that's a good one. I need to remember it. :D

Trikenstein
06-12-2014, 1:30 PM
I say to each his own. Ride whatever the fuck you want. I don't judge another man's ride, and don't judge the man by what he rides.

But, there is absolutely no denying the pure personal satisfaction of riding a bike born of your own blood, sweat and tears. You built it, it's yours and there ain't another one out there like it. It's an extension of yourself, more than any factory ride ever could be, because it comes from your own labor and dedication.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the guys who buy instead of build. In fact, I'm the only builder in the group I ride with. All the rest are on factory machines, and you guessed it, mostly Harleys. They all look at my ride, some get it, some don't. While I respect their choices, I make it clear I didn't set out to impress anybody when I made mine.

Interestingly enough, when we're out, it's my ride that draws the most attention...

P.S. 4evrshovel, that's a bad ass ride!

HebrewHammer666
06-12-2014, 7:13 PM
looks fuckin rad to me. who shivs a git!

RaisingKane7x
06-12-2014, 8:55 PM
this is what counts when people criticise

IronManJr
06-13-2014, 6:44 AM
I get that kinda crap all the time when I ride, but usually from the "new bikers" who have to wear something from every dealership they have ever been to just to ride their bike to the corner bar. I usually just respond with: "Yup it leaks, it's a '75, it's suppose to."

The best responses I get are from old timers who see me, I'm 23, and when they realize I'm the one riding the basically stock IronHead, it's like it brings back all kinds of old memories for them, and thats really fun cuz they usually share some of their favorite bike stories with me.

Anyways, to hell with them, thats a good looking bike man.

Trikenstein
06-13-2014, 6:57 AM
this is what counts when people criticise

Right the fuck on!

Trikenstein
06-13-2014, 7:08 AM
"Yup it leaks, it's a '75, it's suppose to."

My ride ain't pretty, and hell yes it leaks! I ride the shit out of it! And on occasion I get some crap from one of those credit card chrome couch cowboys in their thousand dollar leathers about a little oil on the ground, and I tell 'em, "If there ain't no oil under it, then there ain't no oil in it. Maybe you should check yours."

You'd be surprised how many do...

4evrshovel
06-13-2014, 8:44 AM
"If there ain't no oil under it, then there ain't no oil in it.
2 true.

IronManJr
06-13-2014, 9:29 AM
"If there ain't no oil under it, then there ain't no oil in it. Maybe you should check yours."

This is the exact same thing my dad tells those guys when they say shit about his shovel leaking. Makes me laugh every damn time. :cheersmate:

Trippster48
06-16-2014, 7:46 PM
Dude I get where you are coming from. I won a Sporty 48 at a gas station a few years back and thats what my buddies were riding. I built it up for shits and giggles, then got bored with it so returned it back to stock, sold the bitch and started a shovel build. Literally the second I sold that bike and started looking for shovels, everyone was calling me a dumbass, "shovels leak, break down, it'll never get off the side of the road" blah blah blah. Im so sick of hearing that shit. I love my fuckin shovel and it runs like a bull. Where the hell is this mindset coming from that they are such bad bikes?

http://othersidegarage.blogspot.com/
If you look through to a few pages back on here, you'll see the 48's and dyna's that they both ride. Idk if its just me but I'd much rather have an old bike with soul than a new bike with a brain.

Clockwork444
06-16-2014, 8:27 PM
the bad reputation stems from the AMF days when warranty work literally ate any profit made from the sales of the bikes. the quality was poor in those days but there are fixes and ways to get around it now with higher quality parts. i wouldnt worry about what other people say, ride your shit who cares about the rest

IronManJr
06-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Clockwork is correct, they used to follow you home when you bought a new bike, just to make sure it made it there. But it also comes from people who know exactly jack shit about keeping a motor running. Some people don't enjoy wrenching 3 days to ride 1 or 2, and those people generally enjoy telling people who do that they are wrong.

Trikenstein
06-17-2014, 11:09 AM
i wouldnt worry about what other people say, ride your shit who cares about the rest

Right on! I wouldn't trade my ride for anything I could get anywhere else.

With most of the guys on here being serious builders (and I say this with the utmost respect), if any of you actually saw my ride, you'd probably herniate yourselves laughing your asses off. Who gives a shit? I'd probably just shake my head and ride away. I didn't build it to win popularity contests, gain fame or fortune, pick up chics or impress any fucking body. While I can't take credit for the frame or front end, the rest is all me, built for me, by me. Period.

And hell yes, it needs constant attention, just like some of the other rides I read about here. There's always something that needs to be adjusted, tweeked, repaired, replaced, etc. It literally exists in a constant state of evolution. It's nothing to see me sitting in the parking lot of one my favorite watering holes after a burger and a beer, taking the freeplay out of the throttle cable, tightening up the belt guard, adjusting the clutch or whatever! That's all part of the experience. That's part of the charm of building your own ride, or owning a classic like the shovels, pans, etc. I read about in these pages. (And one day, I will be so fortunate as to own one.)

Oh, and screw the manicured pussies that like to watch and giggle like school girls while I work on it. Either get your hands dirty or get outta my sunlight. What's in your toolbag, a triple "A" card?

I guess the point is this. If you don't love what you ride, then you won't love to ride. Build it or buy it, you have to cast off the bonds of popular opinion and make it your own, or ya just won't get it...