PDA

View Full Version : Rechroming roached pipes satin-like finish? Nickel?

anitasanger
06-07-2014, 11:32 PM
So I have some VH short shots that got ridden with their shields for 10k miles. The pipe clamps holding the shields managed to rub the chrome (if it's even chrome) off of the pipes, but it was only where the clamps were. The result is heavy rust bands where the clas used to be. I'm running the pipes without the shields, but combatting the rust is a nightmare. I tried knocking the rust off and spraying with some VHT clear. I finally got the paint to take and it turned a creepy opaque, off white color which I don't dig.

Thinking about just having the pipes rechromed, but I don't want them shny and mirror like. Optimally I would like a brushed, scotch brited, or just a satin nickel look. I've contacted a few local chrome shops and no one will answer my question. Any tips on what I should do and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks,

TheWhiteDevil
06-08-2014, 6:50 AM
Sounds like you will be in the boat of removing the chrome plating either way ( either to redo it or to change the look) most chrome shops that do chrome plating will also strip it... chemical stripping would do Better because blasting the chrome off would likely warp the exhaust pipe. If you have it removed it sounds like you just have mild steel underneath so recoating would be necessary. .... after paying to strip and recoat you might save money buy just replacing them.

Sky
06-08-2014, 7:35 AM
Scotch brite the whole thing then paint the band marks with hi-temp aluminum, should blend in pretty close.
If not a close enough match, paint the whole thing.
Or, maybe mount partial shields to cover the marks.

govmule84
06-08-2014, 7:38 AM
If you get something chromed and make it clear you do NOT want it polished, you will get a dull finish that is as durable as chrome.

anitasanger
06-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Great advice guys. I guess I just need to decide if re-chroming would cost more than just replacing them.

AMFshovelheads
06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Why not ceramic coat the exhaust pipes?

EVILBLACKSABRE
06-08-2014, 3:23 PM
My understanding is that no chrome shop will re-chrome used pipes. What I have been told is that used pipes are too dirty inside and the platers don't want to foul their baths. Metal has to be absolutely spotless and free of any debris in order to go through the plating process. And trying to make the inside of a used exhaust pipe completely spotless and free of debris would be extremely difficult at best.

anitasanger
06-08-2014, 6:25 PM
Well that makes sense. That's prolly why no chrome shop will even answer me. Thanks guys,