PDA

View Full Version : Seat padding on rigid bike

JKGB
06-07-2014, 1:44 PM
Hey guys, I've got a rigid mount seat pan on my hardtail. Current setup is 1/8" closed cell foam covered with marine grade vinyl, for cruising around town bar hopping its not bad but extended trips and bad roads suck. Iwant to redo it with thicker foam, do you think thathat'll make it a bit easier on my spine? The bike has forwards and the riding stance makes it difficult to always stand on the pegs going over rough roads. Figured I'd try to get some suggestions on foam thicknesses and types. I would get a spring kit if I had a way to weld it on but that's not available at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Ember
06-07-2014, 2:23 PM
My opinion, yes thicker foam will help, but make sure to use leather if you decide to go with really thick foam. Vinyl will crack/split over time with a thick foam.

Next option is to get some mids so you can take some of the pressure off your back.

JKGB
06-07-2014, 4:27 PM
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Any suggestion for density? I was thinking maybe splitting layers, like the layer closer to the seat pan using dense foam and the upper layer closer to my ass going with a softer/medium density foam. I'd like to do gel but too expensive for a bike like mine.

70schop
06-07-2014, 5:23 PM
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Any suggestion for density? I was thinking maybe splitting layers, like the layer closer to the seat pan using dense foam and the upper layer closer to my ass going with a softer/medium density foam. I'd like to do gel but too expensive for a bike like mine.

It's not so much a bike like yours but a back like yours lol. I use high density for the lower layer and 1/2" soft on top. Helps with forming the cover as well

Dieselchanic
06-07-2014, 7:59 PM
I've got some 1" 45lb density closed cell foam I got off eba that's almost perfect. If i need over an inch I just build it up with camping pad or closed cell neoprene. Works well and is super comfy.

Ember
06-07-2014, 10:41 PM
You can layer the foam with some Super 77 adhesive if you need thicker foam. Then shape with an electric turkey carver.

JKGB
06-09-2014, 8:51 AM
Good stuff, thanks guys. Gonna order some hi & lo density in half inch and fix er up

Jhax
06-09-2014, 12:37 PM
You said you have no way to weld on springs, I can't think of where I've seen them but someone out there makes a bolt on spring perch that goes around the cross tube under the seat,I veal so seen one you drill a hole thru the cross tube and it bolts thru the tubing. Maybe not the preferred method but it will work.

Gimp
06-09-2014, 1:28 PM
Started with a Kevin Baas seat pan.
I layered some softer foam with some harder stuff with super 77, shaped it & got some leather from Tandy leather.
dunked into a bucket of water & formed it
Dyed it this weekend & am bringing it over to the local cobbler to have everything sewn together after work today
I MIGHT have an hour of work into this seat
http://www.freakyshiat.com/upload/files/274/seat.JPG
http://www.freakyshiat.com/upload/files/274/seat1.JPG
http://www.freakyshiat.com/upload/files/274/seat3.JPG

Smiley
06-09-2014, 3:04 PM
That's some really great work you're doing but that pan looks horrible. Can't believe it's from Kevin. When did you buy it.

Gimp
06-10-2014, 3:18 PM
That's some really great work you're doing but that pan looks horrible. Can't believe it's from Kevin. When did you buy it.

Thanks. Got it about a year & a half ago along with a battery box & ignition switch/ mount

bobberadam
06-10-2014, 3:32 PM
Depending on how thick you want, go to good will and pick up a used Yoga mat for a couple bucks, enough to do a few seats and works well. I have used this a couple times with great results.