PDA

View Full Version : FYI: HF motorcycle lifts

blackscootsociety
06-06-2014, 1:07 AM
As info: I just saw that Harbor Freight is having a "huge parking lot sale" this weekend starting today 6/6/14. The bike lifts are on sale for 299. Use a 20% coupon from the mail and it should knock 60 bucks off making it only 240!

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-69904.html

antblyme
06-06-2014, 4:48 AM
Tons of threads on them. Go buy it. Me and everyone else did at that price. They're fine for what they are.

skr00ball
06-06-2014, 6:53 AM
$240 is a rediculous price.

Hmmm, do I need a second lift... ?

rebel
06-06-2014, 10:25 AM
what is the biggest / heaviest bike you guys have put on one, fatboy roadking or electraglide

krb
06-06-2014, 4:55 PM
what is the biggest / heaviest bike you guys have put on one, fatboy roadking or electraglide

I've heard old wing riders say that they use these lift for their behemoths. Supposedly the safety valve on the jack kicks in at around 900 pounds but guys have given it a little twist to get the full 1000 pound rated capacity from their lifts.

Nottso
06-06-2014, 5:29 PM
I've had an Ultra Classic on mine many times and sometimes for a full Wisconsin winter.

Fukr
06-06-2014, 6:26 PM
Just don't leave your bike on the lift. I left one on overnight while I had it apart and it bled off and fell. Not a big deal because I was changing everything on it but still. Just in case.

farmall
06-06-2014, 6:54 PM
Do what the military do on aircraft workstands and have a positive lock/stop on your hydraulic cylinder rod.

One way is a piece of stout channel (or square tubing opened with a cutting disk) dropped over the cylinder piston rod when fully extended. Secure with a pin or rod or other method of your choice so it can't fall off.

The cylinder cannot retract even if all pressure is removed. Let the stand down onto the ramlock and the load is no longer supported by the hydraulics nor should it be except when up or downjacking.
A friend has had this on his cheap cycle lift for about thirty years. Nothing to it.

You could also put a strong vertical safety support under the thing. It ain't gonna crush a hunk of heavy pipe or square tubing. Fuck their support bar, go for overkill. Local fab shops and steel suppliers
often sell "drops" or cutoffs cheap.

chupa
06-06-2014, 8:18 PM
Anyone have a scan or link to the extra 20% off coupon? I signed up for the emails but don't remember seeing that one.

Nottso
06-06-2014, 9:12 PM
It comes with a safety rod that prevents it from lowering. Mine never dropped an inch even with the Ultra on it for months at a time so I don't bother with it anymore. Like many other things, this will most likely bite me in the ass eventually.

lowflyer
06-06-2014, 9:48 PM
HF jacks are fuckin` junk. I`ve got a Pit Bull and a J&S. I tried an HF jack once and took the wobbly p.o.s. back. Also you can`t use a coupon with stuff that`s already on sale at HF.

Haze
06-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Lowflyer is right, I waited until the $299 sale and walked in with my 20% off coupon and they said I could use the coupon off the reg. price or not use the coupon and take the sale price (cheaper), but not both.

My heaviest bike is an ultra classic and it goes on this lift every time I have to put tires on it... no problems other than it will bleed off over night.

It's not a 'great' lift, but for the money, it's good and useful (as long as you don't have your expectations too high). I use mine all the time as I have two projects going right now.

SquashThatFly
06-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Ive put my Electra Glide on mine. I dont trust the lift for long, but it wil lift and hold it. Its more stable at full lock than on the ground or only half way up. It will twist and rock the lift. I put my Dyna on it all the time though.

Change the wheel vise to your standard to L-shaped hand crank style and everything is much more stable. Best money spent on the lift

If i found a Handy air lift i could afford, the HF one would be gone in a heartbeat.

blackscootsociety
06-08-2014, 7:56 AM
I went yesterday for it... I had a 25% coup that I couldn't use either. Back in the day they didn't care. These days when I go I try to pick the one cashier that looks lIke they either weren't trained enough or just don't care. Hah. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't buy tools much anymore though so that's not often. A huge tool truck account scares me anymore. Don't wanna do that again.

Cyl lock is a great idea. Thanks!

HF is just a place you gotta watch what you buy. Only you know how hard your going to use something or how willing you are to make sure it won't fail. I work with guys that use their wrenches all the time. I won't use anything other than snap on. But thats just me. It's all relative. A day in and I'm pleased so far. Any lock or stability mods I have to make quick are worth the money I saved. That being said I think a cylinder lock is all I'm going to do.

To the guy that doesn't use the lock anymore... I would. Don't rely on an oring when you can rely on steel. Be safe.

FatKat
06-08-2014, 8:05 AM
They will also match their online prices in the store , I got one a few months back only complaint is the wheel vise but that's an easy fix , I've had my e-glide on it several times using the lock bar and letting the pressure off the ram,, had several sportsters on it with no worries , not the best but good for the price